Audirvana went subscription only

dari

I watched Today presentation of the new Audirvana Studio... this is, at least, what the title was as the presentation was rather poor. Three men talking french version of english for an hour. No demo of the new software and all I know it's gonna be £$€6.99 a month. And for what exaclty? probably nothing more than new look. 

The 'talk' should be soon on their fb. In the world of subscriptions they went in that direction too but how are they going to succeed if it's really just a player with integrated Tidal and Qobuz (not even utilising all the features of both streaming services)?

They have mentioned podcasts, spectograms (so the user can check whether hi-res file really is hi-res).... and that's it. 

I'm going to keep the current version as it serves me well for playing back my library and I don't bother about Tidal or Qobuz, however they'll focus now on the new version updates, so sooner or later old version may not work. And who would thought when I bought their 'lifetime' access that it won't be really lifetime. Same happened with Fidelia player few years ago, they just stop supporting the player completely and were also selling 'lifetime' access. Maybe that's what lifetime is - for the life of the software, which may be... short. 

Hmmmm thanks for letting us know. Let’s see what lifetime means.

I tried a few days ago to get Audirvana's free trial, downloaded the app, but when I pressed for the free trial, it came up, 'my free trial had expired' and gave me options too pay, which I do not want to do until I have at least tried it.

10 hours ago, DomT said:

Hmmmm thanks for letting us know. Let’s see what lifetime means.

to be fair, re 'software lifetime' I could express it better. What I meant is that buying license for the lifetime of the software can be incredibly short sometimes, expecially if one buy the license closer to the of the cycle. 

3.5 should last a very long time on MacOS, certainly for local playback. It's already been updated to run on M1 silicon, unlike the majority of the native streaming apps.

I tried it. Not sure what the buzz is for? Just another buggy software interface with the shameful MQA codswallop chucked in to add insult to injury.