What are we getting for our money

Posted (edited)

Some time ago I bought a second hand tonearm made by a UK manufacturer well known for their turntables and range of tonearms.  The new price for the arm at the time was round £950. Within weeks of my buying the arm the manufacturer added an extra tonearm into their range and priced it at the same price point as the arm I had bought, around £950.  In order to make room in their range for the new arm the price of the arm I bought was increased to nearly £1400 overnight. 

In my view, pricing has little to do with the cost of production and is more about what the market will bear and making sure you have a product offering at any given price point.  

Edited by wHIZZY
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As with most things in life, cost and value are two closely related relatives separated by galaxies of marketing speech. Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

As many on here know I’ve been into HiFI for 5 decades and in that time I’ve seen the contents of components get less as the price goes up over the years.. I’m somewhat gobsmacked when an item co

Maybe we are forgetting that it might not be just regular common or garden variety air inside these boxes.... but 100% oxygen free cryogenically frozen, all singing all dancing audiophile (or should t

Posted Images

On 11/05/2021 at 22:42, Nopiano said:

This looks somewhat crude in places. Is that a folded up USB cable?

Apparently it sounds fabulous, but it looks Grimm.  About £10,000.

93E19978-5B68-4CCB-B97A-6EF449E1C71D.thumb.jpeg.2753e32c1f2c4994f747d39d032d9570.jpeg

What is it?

38 minutes ago, tuga said:

What is it?

Grimm Audio MU1, a ‘music server’.  

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Grimm Audio MU1, a ‘music server’.  

It looks like they've put a NUC board inside of the box.

But why didn't they bypass the connectors? Upgradeability? (not user but they can use powerful NUC in future releases)

:dunno:

1 hour ago, Fourlegs said:

This one too cheap I need some thing more expensive...:cafe:

On 10/05/2021 at 20:20, Bigman80 said:
On 10/05/2021 at 20:19, garn63 said:
Haha...took a peek & when the selling point stated its resonance properties are right up there with human bone...I thought, well that's what I would use then. Be bit cheaper than Woolly Mammoth teeth.  emoji4.png

Hahaha I'd buy one....defo!

Would probably cost an arm and leg though. 

Okay... I'll... :minikev:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
On 10/05/2021 at 19:39, tuga said:

I don't usually watch videos but this guy makes interesting ones:

Indeed, and he ends up recommending spending a couple of hundred dollars to upgrade each crossover.  He doesn’t quite say the Revel isn’t worth four grand but despite admiring the lush cabinet he’s obviously not wowed.  The Wharfedale is certainly a stupendous bargain and a fine design.
My only complaint is he makes no apparent attempt to listen to the end result.  I’d suspect his preferred flattened HF response might be rather ‘hot’ in many setups. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Nopiano said:

Indeed, and he ends up recommending spending a couple of hundred dollars to upgrade each crossover.  He doesn’t quite say the Revel isn’t worth four grand but despite admiring the lush cabinet he’s obviously not wowed.  The Wharfedale is certainly a stupendous bargain and a fine design.
My only complaint is he makes no apparent attempt to listen to the end result.  I’d suspect his preferred flattened HF response might be rather ‘hot’ in many setups. 

I agree, it is possible that he may have exaggerated the output of the tweeter, particularly taking into account the wide directivity of that tweeter/waveguide combination.

I like it that he cares about electronic component quality and even accesories, but it's disappointing that he doesn't seem to care about driver performance (HD, IMD). And he's smoothing the response to 1/3 octave which is way to much for this particular purpose.

Like he says, it's possible that after modding the tonal balance will be close, but there's more to speaker performance than just tonal balance. Really close? Hmmm...

Two well known brands with a phonostage at 2k and a streamer/CDP at 2.3k 🤔

C7467538-2781-4A5A-A2BA-8EDE329355E0.jpeg

E7071CA7-EEEA-44BC-B333-A3FBD325B5A4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 minutes ago, radiant red said:

Two well known brands with a phonostage at 2k and a streamer/CDP at 2.3k 🤔

C7467538-2781-4A5A-A2BA-8EDE329355E0.jpeg

E7071CA7-EEEA-44BC-B333-A3FBD325B5A4.jpeg

Ha! It may be well engineered (well you would hope so at those prices) but sticking it all in standard width (430mm) boxes simply draws attention to how little you're really getting for your money. It's hard to tell from the pics, but they don't exactly look like they're using top-grade components.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Nifkin said:

Ha! It may be well engineered (well you would hope so at those prices) but sticking it all in standard width (430mm) boxes simply draws attention to how little you're really getting for your money. It's hard to tell from the pics, but they don't exactly look like they're using top-grade components.

Both surface mount boards with sticky tape 

throwaway products of today 

• Like 1