Ninka tweeter comparisons Original versus OW1

At the end of Dec 2020 I bought a pair of black Ninkas as our local dealer told me that drivers were no longer available as spares. See attached.

I also have a pair of cherry Ninkas to which I have fitted OW1 tweeters. The fear of grandchildren pushing in the tweeters led me to  install the spare blackpair with original barred tweeters which seem to be relatively kid proof. They have sat in service for two months until Mrs. Zephyr complained that she want the cherry ones back. Today I have swapped them back. So treble differences. It was immediately obvious that the OW1 has opened up the music. More expansive soundstage, much better clarity  and control of note decay.

Yes I acknowledge that the original specified black   Ninkas don't have the upgraded bases and still have the bass speaker covers on however I was comparing the upper frequencies and this was where the enormous differences lay. So if you have Ninkas and want to upgrade them relatively cheaply I recommend the OW1. 

speakers.jpg

Posted (edited)

Interesting as I have vaguely wondered about this as I don't expect to be changing my Ninkas anytime soon due to the enormous expense of matching the rest of my system to any feasible replacement speaker.

What about Exakt filters for the OW1 though?

Also, is your comparison vs the 038 or 038/2?  (sorry I forget if all the Ninkas were 038/2 or only the later ones)

Edited by Solanum

Thanks yes Tweeters are the later version I think. Have attached photos
Yes exakt filters are available from mail@speakerfilters.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, zephyr said:

Have to solder them. Possible even for an amateur like me! 

Yeah, I don't mind doing a bit of soldering, but I am no expert at it. There is enough wire length so you are grovelling around inside the speaker body then I guess?

see linkhttps://www.hiquphon.dk/page4.html

I found him great to deal with. Make sure you specify they are for ninkas as he provides the surround to fit exactly. 

He also gives soldering instructions. It's all good as they say:-)

• Like 1

On 11/05/2021 at 10:36, zephyr said:

...It was immediately obvious that the OW1 has opened up the music. More expansive soundstage, much better clarity  and control of note decay...I was comparing the upper frequencies and this was where the enormous differences lay.

speakers.jpg

This is interesting. Several did this on the old Linn forum and it has always greatly intrigued me. I demoed an SVS SB1000 and 2000 the other day, and it indicated to me that some level of subwoofer-ation would probably get me to love my 212's like I/we do Ninkas. My Ninkas sit unloved in the corner presently and the warden is giving them the stink eye, but I can't bear to part with them.

Zephyr, and others, do you have any experience with the 3K array and the new generation of Linn speakers? How far would this relatively cheap upgrade get me to the refinement and detail of the 3K? The only downside of this is I have to use SPACE V1 with Exakt. 

3 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

This is interesting. Several did this on the old Linn forum and it has always greatly intrigued me. I demoed an SVS SB1000 and 2000 the other day, and it indicated to me that some level of subwoofer-ation would probably get me to love my 212's like I/we do Ninkas. My Ninkas sit unloved in the corner presently and the warden is giving them the stink eye, but I can't bear to part with them.

Zephyr, and others, do you have any experience with the 3K array and the new generation of Linn speakers? How far would this relatively cheap upgrade get me to the refinement and detail of the 3K? The only downside of this is I have to use SPACE V1 with Exakt. 

Stink eye 😂. Why do you need exakt VO1?

• Upvote 1

On 11/05/2021 at 21:11, zephyr said:

Thanks yes Tweeters are the later version I think. Have attached photos
Yes exakt filters are available from mail@speakerfilters.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have Exakt filters available for OW1 in Ninka.  However, I'm very happy to develop them if someone can loan me a pair of OW1 tweeters.

1 hour ago, Pennypacker said:

Stink eye 😂. Why do you need exakt VO1?

I don't, I prefer v2. I've compared v1 and v2 with my Ninkas, 212's, and Komponent 104's, and v2 is better with all three.  

On 11/05/2021 at 06:52, Solanum said:

Interesting as I have vaguely wondered about this as I don't expect to be changing my Ninkas anytime soon due to the enormous expense of matching the rest of my system to any feasible replacement speaker.

What about Exakt filters for the OW1 though?

Also, is your comparison vs the 038 or 038/2?  (sorry I forget if all the Ninkas were 038/2 or only the later ones)

Ninkas started with 038/1 but they were unreliable so there weren't many made before transition to 038/2.  Plus, many of the 038/1 tweeters failed in the field and were replaced by 038/2.

At this point there are still 038/1 examples out there so its always worth checking, but they're thankfully few and far between.  This is from experience with a few pairs of Ninkas and many pairs of Katans.

• Upvote 1

I have the OW1's in a pair of AV5140's that also have Espek mid and bass drivers. I concur with the OP re: the OW1's . Have been listening to my stock Ninka's (with Aktiv 5125's and heavy bases) lately and feeling somewhat underwhelmed. Have been wondering how the OW1's would fair in them. So this is a timely post, thank you!  Note I found them a tad more efficient than the 038/2's but was able to balance them with a notch down on the aktiv x-over. 

10 hours ago, sunbeamgls said:

I don't have Exakt filters available for OW1 in Ninka.  However, I'm very happy to develop them if someone can loan me a pair of OW1 tweeters.

Ah, OK. So if I wanted to go down this route, I'd need to buy the tweeters, ship them to you (I'm in Australia, tweeters are in Denmark I think) to install in your Ninkas (?) and get you to ship them back to me to install in mine.

What is the cost of having the Exakt filters developed? Also, I assume the filters are agnostic about SO versions?