Yesterday I helped my SIL set up his new hifi room. New house and new Boenicke w8 speakers to replace his A242's.

https://boenicke-audio.ch/products/loudspeakers/w8/

Pretty little things. What intrigued me about these was the 'swing base'. This means the speakers are suspended in mid air by 2 wires at the back and a ball bearing at the front so they are free to vibrate (and you can feel them doing just that). This goes against every speaker setup experience I have ever had where spikes and rigid connection were all the rage. So can someone explain the 'science' behind this alternative approach?

Posted (edited)

The whole design goes against most conventional thinking about speakers!  There’s plenty to digest here, and you’ll see who the owners are who might be able to help.  They’re not my idea of accurate reproduction but I admire their different approach.  They allegedly take months to run in, so they already lost me there!

Edited by Nopiano
9 hours ago, Nopiano said:

They allegedly take months to run in

Gosh! That’s a lot of ball (bearing) rolling…

’troll

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Gosh! That’s a lot of ball (bearing) rolling…

’troll

Ha, yes, but it’s supposed to be something about the wood in the cabinet, rather than traditional mechanical matters.  It’s all a bit weird, frankly. 

32 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

Ha, yes, but it’s supposed to be something about the wood in the cabinet, rather than traditional mechanical matters.  It’s all a bit weird, frankly. 

Well, it’s often claimed that guitars improve with age…

’troll

Just now, Moomintroll said:

Well, it’s often claimed that guitars improve with age…

’troll

True, and I gather these unusual speakers act more as an instrument than we usually expect them to.  I’m hoping @entdgcwill give us some listening impressions, if I ask nicely!

I can only give early first impressions so far as they have been installed but not correctly setup and certainly not run in for 3 months (though they are ex demo so may be partially run in).

The speakers are beautifully made and finished. Putting them onto the swing base is very easy. The dealer who sold them recommended installing them with the bass drivers pointing outwards which raised my eyebrows somewhat. But we did as we were told and immediately regretted it - the bass was VERY boomy. So we swapped them left to right so bass drivers were pointing inwards - instant improvement. Bass was still a little boomy. Dived into Konfig and SO1 (simply for speed as I was using his computer and remembering passwords etc is not his strong point :D). This created quite a big dip at around 40Hz from memory. Speakers are now very listenable. The mid is very sweet with nice clarity at the top end - bass still need some work with Tunedem and SO2. As I said he previously had 242's which I liked so.....we shall see.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

I have just collected a pair of Shahinian Obelisk as potential replacement of my Akudoriks. They are on castors? Trying to get my head around this.

Edited by Billz
21 hours ago, Billz said:

I have just collected a pair of Shahinian Obelisk as potential replacement of my Akudoriks. They are on castors? Trying to get my around this.

In my yoof, the popular low stands for speakers were always on trolley wheels. Spikes came later, I’m guessing in the 1980s.  we expect them by default now, don’t we?  

Just a few years ago I heard the rather wonderful Wilson Audio Sabrina at a hotel demo.  When they wanted to swap to another speaker, the Wilsons were just wheeled out of the way.  I was quite surprised.  It’s a lots easier to tweak, and with no chance of spearing your hand or foot!  

Once you’ve found your preferred spot, I’m sure you can mark that, and swap in some spikes if you feel the need. 

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, entdgc said:

...we also had shag pile carpet! O.o:D

Oh, yes, so we did!   ;-)