Evening All

I've got 2 very old LK85's they are still going strong but they can't go on forever so question when the give up what are my options for staying Active?

Select DSM 2 LK85's Active Katans Majik LP12 (Project Arm) Trampoline Lingo Mk3

Can I use the add on power amp cartridges, or would I have to get an Exaktbox?

Cheers

John

LK140s would use the same stereo Aktiv cards. They have a reputation for being reliable. But I believe so do the LK85s. You may be stuck with them for a while.

I can’t imagine the LK85 or 140 suddenly giving up the ghost.

If you are looking for an upgrade whilst staying aktiv:

• Swap the LK85 for 140 or av5125/D or 2x2250/D, most cost effective and you can keep the cards.
  • Swap to 4100 or 4200, but you need other aktiv cards.
  • Swap to 2 amp units to your Selekt DSM, I’m not sure if  this means the SDSM with 2 amps will automatically run the Katans Exakt.
  • Swap to AEBi, big splash of cash, however the SDSM amp units are not cheap either and the AEBi will add Katalyst to you set up.
On 11/05/2021 at 22:50, Lincoln Tyke said:

Evening All

I've got 2 very old LK85's they are still going strong but they can't go on forever so question when the give up what are my options for staying Active?

Select DSM 2 LK85's Active Katans Majik LP12 (Project Arm) Trampoline Lingo Mk3

Can I use the add on power amp cartridges, or would I have to get an Exaktbox?

Cheers

John

You can add modules to the selekt, these will provide exakt aktiv and amplification channels within one box.

Thanks All

Some great ideas, I wouldn’t rule out second hand so plenty of options there. The Exaktbox price was a bit eye watering so most the other options might be more affordable. I’ve had one LK85 for 18 years, the other is even older as that was second hand, no sign of them giving up. Happy with the sound so might be an upgrade itch I’ll need to scratch eventually. Speakers will be next only 109 floor standers cost wise  are a realistic option which I think are 3 way so obviously I’ll need consider that what changing power amps.

21 minutes ago, Lincoln Tyke said:

Thanks All

Some great ideas, I wouldn’t rule out second hand so plenty of options there. The Exaktbox price was a bit eye watering so most the other options might be more affordable. I’ve had one LK85 for 18 years, the other is even older as that was second hand, no sign of them giving up. Happy with the sound so might be an upgrade itch I’ll need to scratch eventually. Speakers will be next only 109 floor standers cost wise  are a realistic option which I think are 3 way so obviously I’ll need consider that what changing power amps.

If you still have an itch to scratch you can contemplate upgrading the SDSM to Katalyst if you have not already.

• Upvote 1
55 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

If you still have an itch to scratch you can contemplate upgrading the SDSM to Katalyst if you have not already.

When I did the demo for my SDSM I didn't listen to the Katalyst version, my dealer said it would be a big future upgrade and was a big fan of the Katalyst

Worth thinking about as an upgrade itch to scratch 

On 13/05/2021 at 10:26, Suffolkboy said:

You can add modules to the selekt, these will provide exakt aktiv and amplification channels within one box.

Had a think about my options, I'm quite keen on reducing my number of boxes so I like the idea of 2 amp units to stay active with Katans. The only other future  upgrade I'm considering is Majik 140's however my understanding is because they are 4 way the only option would be en Exaktbox?

5 minutes ago, Lincoln Tyke said:

Had a think about my options, I'm quite keen on reducing my number of boxes so I like the idea of 2 amp units to stay active with Katans. The only other future  upgrade I'm considering is Majik 140's however my understanding is because they are 4 way the only option would be en Exaktbox?

You can drive the M140s via exaktbox and Aktiv with S/H amps, these and the cards pop up regularly both are still available new. If you still want to keep your Selekt I would ask the dealer about future Organik options.

5 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

You can drive the M140s via exaktbox and Aktiv with S/H amps, these and the cards pop up regularly both are still available new. If you still want to keep your Selekt I would ask the dealer about future Organik options.

I'm paying my dealer a visit (pending any change in government restrictions) next week, I'll pick his brains. I am quite keen on reducing boxes so keeping external power amps wouldn't be my first choice.