Puritan Mains Cables

George 47

12 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

If it ‘drains vibration’ then it doesn’t isolate, it couples. Interestingly a massive number of solid state devices come with feet that couple (the rubber or foam element of the foot) which is pretty much a standard fitment. Changing that to different materials can change the tuning of the feet. I see the Lyd uses springs (which can be tuned to impact certain frequencies more than others). I guess there is a reason they chose to stick with that transformer and add feet to overcome its weakness. And that isn’t condescension though it may read like that. If a mechanically stable transformer influences the sound in a less positive way in some areas there are many who accept those weaknesses as a trade off against the strengths. I’ve been reading up on 300b SE output transformers and it is a whole new world to me. As a contrast to the Hypex device I use 300b is like going back 70 years. In fact, it is going back 70 years.

I was always under the the impression soft and squishy de-couple, hard and pointy couple, I'll leave it to your imaginations as to an easy way to remember this. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

On 23/05/2021 at 17:10, George 47 said:

Always welcome Mark but I have gone over to the dark side....and use a big SS amplifier with 600w/channel into Audionote Es at 97.5db efficiency. Yes, I am a still a bit of an animal with volume levels. Organ re-arrangements are us. I SAID.....

Oh George, what have you done?

I can't bloody wait to eat all your Dorritos, sorry, listen to your new toys!

I'd wager its incredibly dynamic and hard hitting, those AN's are very special and I was blown away when you had Nelsons finest in the driving seat, with something a little more ahem, beastly I'm sure the windows shall rattle is things go south of 30 Hz at 95 db....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, antonio66 said:

I was always under the the impression soft and squishy de-couple, hard and pointy couple, I'll leave it to your imaginations as to an easy way to remember this. ^_^

https://www.russandrews.com/cone-feet/

17 hours ago, TheFlash said:

No, it's tinned. I saw this too and I checked with Mike. It protects the copper from its natural tendency to oxidate. You can get all worried about skin effect and conductivity and stuff... but it's a mains cable not a signal cable.

Also what Supra do with their mains cables and I compared the two and the winner was...........:o

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, ANADROL-50 said:

I have used  3 oak cone feet for 25ish years, they are  hot glued into the alloy feet of my Hydraulic Reference turn table which rests on a massive paving stone wedged in to a brick alcove.  they are a vast improvement over the squidgy feet that were original, the oak cones track vibration to ground.

Do  Puritan Mains Cables absorb RF etc and convert it into heat or some how track the vibrations to ground? 

image.png.f2aca09731e8aeef5c86924f2c66f614.png

Edited by John (big)
add file/photo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Re Mains cable standards this is what I think the legal position is.

The UK standard for PVC insulated & sheathed flexible cable is BS EN 50525-2-11. This for the normal pvc mains cables. There is no provision for such things as braiding or shielding so cables using these features do not meet this standard.

Regulation 133.1.1 requires each item of equipment (inc cables) to comply with the appropriate British or Harmonized standard. In the absence of such a standard reference can be made to an appropriate IEC or the appropriate standard of another country.

If Regulation 133.1.1 is not complied with, as in the case of special audiophile mains cables  the Regulation requires the designer or person responsible for specifying the cable to confirm that it provides at least the same  degree of  safety as that afforded by the regulations.

So its up to Puritan in this case to show, if neccesary in a court of law that they comply with the above. I would imagine they would be able to do this

Edited by zeta4
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, zeta4 said:

Re Mains cable standards this is what I think the legal position is.

The UK standard for PVC insulated & sheathed flexible cable is BS EN 50525-2-11. This for the normal pvc mains cables. There is no provision for such things as braiding or shielding so cables using these features do not meet this standard.

Regulation 133.1.1 requires each item of equipment (inc cables) to comply with the appropriate British or Harmonized standard. In the absence of such a standard reference can be made to an appropriate IEC or the appropriate standard of another country.

If Regulation 133.1.1 is not complied with, as in the case of special audiophile mains cables  the Regulation requires the designer or person responsible for specifying the cable to confirm that it provides at least the same  degree of  safety as that afforded by the regulations.

So its up to Puritan in this case to show, if neccesary in a court of law that they comply with the above. I would imagine they would be able to do this

Thanks for that. To clarify, I doubt that the position you outline is any different with just about any other ‘audiophile’ mains cable. 

Regarding BS EN 50525-2-11, as you say this is the UK standard for PVC insulated & sheathed flexible cable and a pedantic but valid comment on what you say is that it is not so much that the Puritan cable does not meet this standard but rather that BS EN 50525-2-11 is not the appropriate standard to apply to the construction type of the Puritan cable.

I would assume that if required then Puritan will satisfy any enquirer or authority regarding the safety of their cable well before it got any where near a ‘court of law’.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Thanks for that. To clarify, I doubt that the position you outline is any different with just about any other ‘audiophile’ mains cable. 

Regarding BS EN 50525-2-11, as you say this is the UK standard for PVC insulated & sheathed flexible cable and a pedantic but valid comment on what you say is that it is not so much that the Puritan cable does not meet this standard but rather that BS EN 50525-2-11 is not the appropriate standard to apply to the construction type of the Puritan cable.

I would assume that if required then Puritan will satisfy any enquirer or authority regarding the safety of their cable well before it got any where near a ‘court of law’.

Yes thats correct but its unlikely that there is a standard for special construction mains cables. The Regulations specify what you must do if there isnt one which I think is perfectly reasonable.

that standar

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

Don’t be a tease!!

Ok uploaded......

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, George 47 said:

Ok uploaded......

I have to say, I found your insight very interesting.

FWIW. This is what I've found (not with Puritan):

- I got the most gain from putting after market Mains Cables on power hungry Amplifiers, where spending a bit more seemed to pay off.

- I didn't find much difference on a Linn Majik DS

- I have found a worthwhile difference on a Node 2i

- I accept I am probably quite mad!!

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, George 47 said:

Ok uploaded......

And to save others searching, it’s here...

• Like 2

Does anyone know how the cables get so bendy? Won’t they break if you bend them too much or often?

• rabski locked this topic
  • rabski unlocked this topic