Puritan Mains Cables

George 47

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Griff500 said:

Oh dear... 9_9

Yes, that is a question - not a comparable question but a question nonetheless. 

I was asking a simple question to determine your position on this. Either you believe they have heard a real difference, you think they have imagined it or you are undecided. I'm not sure what other options there could be and any one of them is fine. I am not interested in debating your opinion - I was just trying to determine where you stand on this.

For some reason you don't want to state your position. I've no idea why but that's fine and there's no need for daft responses.

My point, which has clearly gone way over your head, is that the phrasing of your "question" seems to imply a set of assumptions you have made about what I know/think, and as they are not based on any statements I have made in this thread, I see little point in engaging in a discussion with you as you seem to have already decided what my answer would be. That is never a good basis for a rational discussion, although it does seem to be your default mode of operation from what I have seen of your posts.

Edited by Tony_J
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Griff500 said:

I was thinking of everything on the circuit this side of the fuse box - on the particular circuit formed internally. No doubt the incoming power isn't optimised for sound quality.

The question is whether or not trying to improve the power that the system sees can improve the resulting sound quality and most who have tried these things seem to have experienced a positive outcome. It seems obvious to me that there's potential for improvement.

I was going to reply sooner but we had a power cut. That had a major impact on my system - the sound of science or tinnitus in my case.

Seems too late now...

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tony_J said:

My point, which has clearly gone way over your head, is that the phrasing of your "question" seems to imply a set of assumptions you have made about what I know/think, and as they are not based on any statements I have made in this thread, I see little point in engaging in a discussion with you as you seem to have already decided what my answer would be. That is never a good basis for a rational discussion, although it does seem to be your default mode of operation from what I have seen of your posts.

I'm not sure why you want to try and make it personal.

Your point probably went 'way' over my head because the basis for your point was flawed. My question did not contain any assumptions, unlike your example. If you think there is an implication in my question then that's on you. You seem to be the one making assumptions and then accuse me of doing so... I think that's known as 'projection'.

If I had decided what your position is then why on earth would I ask the question...

I think it's best to leave it there, other than to ask you not to make any further personal attacks. There's no need for it.

7 minutes ago, andrew s said:

I was going to reply sooner but we had a power cut.

Guaranteed to have an impact on your sound quality. xD

Edited by Griff500

I'll add my 2p worth, bought 3 classics for the two mono blocks and Wadia.

This is heavily caveated in that I didn't do any serious listening over the weekend, was just TV though the HiFi and Internet Radio. But...

Recently I've been a bit concerned/down hearted that the sound through the ATCs can be a bit lifeless, dull, bass heavy, lack of sparkle. It does depend a lot on the medium and music being played as the speakers do have a very neutral balance. I did wonder if the amps were treble shy. Dunno, just a feeling I have.

Anyways over the weekend with these Purtain mains leads, the sparkle appears to be back. It could be the source, which has more treble to it. Time will tell. Initial impressions, which is all they are, are good.

• Like 3

Without a speaker - what produced the sound?
There has to be a joke in there somewhere. I wonder if I come up with something before @Tony_J.

I can hear music playing through my DAC with no amplifiers switched on, i.e nothing coming from the speakers.

The same with my cartridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Griff500 said:

I think it's best to leave it there, other than to ask you not to make any further personal attacks. There's no need for it.

There didn’t appear to be a personal attack.

If you believe there was report the post and it will be discussed amongst us. I may be wrong, we may have to sanction my colleague but on first reading the only indication of a personal attack is you stating it as if it were fact. But this is a cable thread so making a statement like that is pretty much par for the course.

• Haha 1

Griff, I think a post or two of yours might have suggested (inadvertently or otherwise) that you think some people have a position or are in a camp. I can’t help but do that myself, I confess. I think the pushback you received was simply to remind you to play the ball not the man.

Now some people do have “form” and their pointing out that they didn’t actually say X (when we all know damned well X is what they meant) is basically their being passive aggressive. One black belt at that is no longer on the forum.

But we are all to try to respond to the post not the person. It’s just typical of you not to do this*

*;-)

Edited by TheFlash
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, rabski said:

This is, with respect, where I have a 'problem'.

A cable is a purely passive component. There is absolutely zero possible way a mains cable can 'improve the quality' of the mains going through it.

That said, there is certainly an argument that it can make it worse...

I agree the power going through the cable can’t be improved - from a power perspective. But it can be improved from a mains-noise-affecting-other-things perspective. It can therefore be improved. And this improvement can be heard.

Just saying.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hot 🥵 and lovely Sunny day, unless your working, time to let off steam in the garden methinks. 😊

Cables! Who’d have em eh!

Edit, this won’t make sense now the post I was replying too has gone lol. 
ignore me, I have sunstroke 😂

Edited by radiant red
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

I agree the power going through the cable can’t be improved - from a power perspective. But it can be improved from a mains-noise-affecting-other-things perspective. It can therefore be improved. And this improvement can be heard.

Just saying.

You're sort of making my point, although accidentally.

The difference is between 'improvement' and 'reducing ill effects'. Actually improving something, as I have always understood it, involves adding or altering. A cable alone cannot do that.

It can have a positive 'effect', but only by having less of a negative effect compared with alternatives.

On another, unrelated, point. I don't want to have to remove any more posts. Someone's understanding of humour may not equate to other people's. Before posting in jest, please bear that in mind, as what may appear a joke between friends may well be taken as abusive by others.

• Upvote 2

I think it might be for time everyone to step off the roundabout and play some music👍😝

Edited by darthvadersdad
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

Griff, I think a post or two of yours might have suggested (inadvertently or otherwise) that you think some people have a position or are in a camp. I can’t help but do that myself, I confess. I think the pushback you received was simply to remind you to play the ball not the man.

Now some people do have “form” and pointing out that they didn’t actually say X (when we all know damned well what they meant) is basically being passive aggressive. One black belt at that is no longer on the forum.

But we are all to try to respond to the post not the person. It’s just typical of you not to do this*

*;-)

Either my post got deleted or you can't use that word on the forum... xD

10 minutes ago, rabski said:

Before posting in jest, please bear that in mind, as what may appear a joke between friends may well be taken as abusive by others.

That explains it. @TheFlash would have absolutely known I was joking with him. I thought banter was allowed. 9_9

• rabski locked this topic
  • rabski unlocked this topic