Puritan Mains Cables

George 47

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

That’s a coincidence because earlier today I ordered two!  Not trying to outdo anyone, but I’ve been looking at them for a while, and this debate prompted me further.  The flexibility and pale (white) sleeve is a big factor, as I’ve already got a screen Chord, but it’s not easy to ‘dress’.  .  

Richard at Audiologica, who I’ve dealt with before, uses them in his demo room, despite having more obviously ‘high end’ and exotically priced brands available.  If anyone cares to give him a ring, he might perhaps offer a shade off the price too.  

https://www.audiologica.co.uk/product/puritan-proprietary-dissipative-technology-mains-cable/

Good man. Not trying to outdo anyone in return but I'm buying a Guardian as well! And my Classic, like yours, is in white livery.

I just fancy trying one of these. They're different in design and I'm intrigued as to whether a, to me, far more attractive cable (floppy) can match or outperform the excellent (quiet) shielded LAT AC-2's which pervade my system.

Let's compare notes.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Like 2

On 14/05/2021 at 12:53, Blzebub said:

Never, and I mean never, put anything like that in your ears.

My friend who is a nurse says "never try to poke anything in your ear that is smaller than an elbow" 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pinkie said:

My friend who is a nurse says "never try to poke anything in your ear that is smaller than an elbow" 

My ear is definitely smaller than an elbow...:cafe:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheFlash said:

Good man. Not trying to outdo anyone in return but I'm buying a Guardian as well! And my Classic, like yours, is in white livery.

I just fancy trying one of these. They're different in design and I'm intrigued as to whether a, to me, far more attractive cable (floppy) can match or outperform the excellent (quiet) shielded LAT AC-2's which pervade my system.

Let's compare notes.

I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the effect of installing this mains cable as a comparison between using for a source component or for your ATCs keep us posted once they arrive.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Ward said:

I will be very interested to hear your thoughts on the effect of installing this mains cable as a comparison between using for a source component or for your ATCs keep us posted once they arrive.

I'm only buying one, never thought of using it/them on the active ATC's to be honest but there's an idea.

Do bear in mind that despite using LAT AC-2 throughout, I remain on the National Register of Mains Cable Sceptics*. Attentive reader will be aware that this is a breakaway group from the National Register of Cable Sceptics which was a little too evangelical; I mean we all know speaker and interconnect cables can make a difference, we just argue about whether that difference is an improvement. Mains cables on the other hand, unless they're shielded? Come on.**

*of which I am the Executive Chair and Founder
**"Come On" is a registered strapline of the NRMCS.

Edited by TheFlash
  • Haha 3

Americans want higher ampage cables due to their lower voltage.

Having heard Jessica's Puritan conditioner at several bake-offs now, I can that it's very effective. Puritan say that the best effect is gained by combining their own cables with the conditioner, but then they would say that :D .

I currently have no conditioner but a number of Shunyata cables. Now I love the Shunyatas, but I can't help thinking if they were sold and the money used to buy a conditioner plus Classic leads that I'd be in a better position than I am now. This idea has been boosted by the review and George's comments.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

I ordered my duo over the weekend on Audiologica’s website.  If I’d not delayed DHL the cables would’ve been here yesterday, direct from Puritan.   As it is, at my request, they came today. It doesn’t get much swifter than that!

Here they are, nestling in the packaging.  

BB9D0128-9AB5-44C6-A9F6-366AD0825429.thumb.jpeg.f576d1f9da5b2d68a3a5f30e55c06955.jpeg

One is now plugged into the power amp.  The ‘floppiness’ is a massive help both in not straining the input connection, and also in making routing to the distribution block much easier.   I needed 1.5 metres of Chord cable to reach where 1 metre of Puritan is neater, because its radius can be so much tighter. And it’s not trying pull itself out of the socket under its own weight.  

D759CA6E-5EB2-4075-81C6-3C026DC18D96.thumb.jpeg.b2bbe2fc08e548cb6463e6405e3b2158.jpeg

Listening comes later as the sun is shining, but don’t expect an A/B review!

Edited by Nopiano
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 16/05/2021 at 18:08, bigfool1956 said:

Having heard Jessica's Puritan conditioner at several bake-offs now, I can that it's very effective. Puritan say that the best effect is gained by combining their own cables with the conditioner, but then they would say that :D .

Wot he said lol, I have been converted to Puritan for a few years now and I am expected to bring the conditioner and cables to every BO as it gets the best out of anything that it powers. I have recently got a classic+, about £100, and that is even better than the classic, I now use the + to power my PS1 phono stages ( a free one with every purchase)

Jessica xx

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jessica_k said:

Wot he said lol, I have been converted to Puritan for a few years now and I am expected to bring the conditioner and cables to every BO as it gets the best out of anything that it powers. I have recently got a classic+, about £100, and that is even better than the classic, I now use the + to power my PS1 phono stages ( a free one with every purchase)

Jessica xx

Thanks for sharing that maam :)

So my next shopping list in the UK is finalised now :D

6 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I ordered my duo over the weekend on Audiologica’s website.  If I’d not delayed DHL the cables would’ve been here yesterday, direct from Puritan.   As it is, at my request, they came today. It doesn’t get much swifter than that!

Here they are, nestling in the packaging.  

BB9D0128-9AB5-44C6-A9F6-366AD0825429.thumb.jpeg.f576d1f9da5b2d68a3a5f30e55c06955.jpeg

One is now plugged into the power amp.  The ‘floppiness’ is a massive help both in not straining the input connection, and also in making routing to the distribution block much easier.   I needed 1.5 metres of Chord cable to reach where 1 metre of Puritan is neater, because its radius can be so much tighter. And it’s not trying pull itself out of the socket under its own weight.  

D759CA6E-5EB2-4075-81C6-3C026DC18D96.thumb.jpeg.b2bbe2fc08e548cb6463e6405e3b2158.jpeg

Listening comes later as the sun is shining, but don’t expect an A/B review!

Is it dark enough now for a listening impression sir :D

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, newlash09 said:

Is it dark enough now for a listening impression sir :D

Yup. He is either not hearing what he should be hearing; or hearing what he shouldn't be hearing. 

Either way, I'm looking forward to the review. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, CnoEvil said:

Either way, I'm looking forward to the review. 

No pressure then!  You two are harassing me.  Here we are:-

Pros

the amp still turns on

the cable looks nice

it is less visible than the previous one

it was cheaper than the cable it has replaced

the packaging isn’t a hard-carved box or something equally pointless

Cons

it wasn’t free

it doesn’t plug itself in 

my wife didn’t ask me what change I’d made

Seriously, I’ve been in the garden, cooking dinner and watching a drama on the telly.  I’ll take a proper listen tomorrow.  Funnily enough, this morning I thought the system was sounding very nice.  Either me or the Hifi seems better when the sun is shining.  I’ve still got to decide where to try the second one, but it’ll probably go on the CD player.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

I’ve still got to decide where to try the second one, but it’ll probably go on the CD player.  

Try it on both sources - and leave it on the one that makes the most difference.

If you don't hear a difference, leave it on the source you use most, just in case it burns in!! 

• Haha 1

• rabski locked this topic
  • rabski unlocked this topic