Puritan Mains Cables

George 47

23 minutes ago, Ceko said:

I was wondering. If you have this power conditioner, the cable to the wall socket doen’t even matter am I right? So why are they supplying it with one of their expensive cables?

People seem to recommend that your best cable goes to the conditioner from the wall.

1 hour ago, Griff500 said:

Someone on a FB group has just been raving about their PSM156.

The dealer I got my cables from - Richard at Audiologica- is also very enthusiastic about the purifiers.  As I mentioned originally, he has far swankier brands that spend £££ on advertising but it’s Puritan he chooses for his demo room.  That says something to me. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Ceko said:

I was wondering. If you have this power conditioner, the cable to the wall socket doen’t even matter am I right? So why are they supplying it with one of their expensive cables?

Au contraire, both Puritan and the hifi supplier told me it’s essential to use the supplied cable (which as mains cables go, is not so expensive @ £75), the supplier saying they’d tried various cables, some more expensive, and none worked as well as the Puritan one; given there was no additional profit in it for him as the cable was supplied inclusive with the conditioner, I was inclined to take his word.

Edited by Blodger
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Griff500 said:

People seem to recommend that your best cable goes to the conditioner from the wall.

I really don’t understand this. If you have a filtering system, it’s the output what matters right?

9 minutes ago, Ceko said:

I really don’t understand this. If you have a filtering system, it’s the output what matters right?

I wouldn't class any parts of this as not being important, but I guess using the best cable into the distributor allows the distributor to do a better job.

2 hours ago, Ceko said:

It is the input that matters. The input to the hardware you are using the filters for. Normally a filter is applied at the input to a device. If you have to run cables from the filter to your devices it would be understandable if those cables had  additional features like shielding or geometrical attributes so no issues are introduced post filtering. All in theory of course.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

It is the input that matters. The input to the hardware you are using the filters for. Normally a filter is applied at the input to a device. If you have to run cables from the filter to your devices it would be understandable if those cables had  additional features like shielding or geometrical attributes so no issues are introduced post filtering. All in theory of course.

I suspect @Ceko ment the output of the filter. I.e. the input to the audio hardware. Regards Andrew 

2 hours ago, andrew s said:

I suspect @Ceko ment the output of the filter. I.e. the input to the audio hardware. Regards Andrew 

The point is, the best place for a filter is at the far end of the cable. When you put a cable between the filter and the hardware you risk undoing some of what the filter has achieved. You can ignore the cable if you don’t believe they have any impact but they are still there. This point is made not because I believe in cables. I use what the manufacturer provides. But because it is good practice to place filters physically and electrically as close to the hardware as possible. 

22 hours ago, Griff500 said:

5 hours ago, Ceko said:

A different perspective from the where-to-place-the-filter thing: most purifiers accommodate multiple devices. If you had one superduper cable and 4 kettle leads*, surely it just makes sense to use the superduper lead into the purifier, to the benefit of all powered devices, than to use a kettle lead into it and the superduper cable into just one of the devices.

* this is a scenario. five leads, one is special. it's not a "serving suggestion"...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

surely it just makes sense to use the superduper lead into the purifier, to the benefit of all powered devices,

Logical if you only have one cable but I’d be inclined to pick a component that would benefit most and use it there.

50 minutes ago, TheFlash said:

If you had one superduper cable and 4 kettle leads*, surely it just makes sense to use the superduper lead into the purifier, to the benefit of all powered devices

It does make sense and that's what the people who make the products suggest and it's what everyone I spoke to before buying recommended. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

The point is, the best place for a filter is at the far end of the cable. When you put a cable between the filter and the hardware you risk undoing some of what the filter has achieved. You can ignore the cable if you don’t believe they have any impact but they are still there. This point is made not because I believe in cables. I use what the manufacturer provides. But because it is good practice to place filters physically and electrically as close to the hardware as possible. 

I agree . Regards Andrew 

22 hours ago, Blodger said:

Au contraire, both Puritan and the hifi supplier told me it’s essential to use the supplied cable (which as mains cables go, is not so expensive @ £75), the supplier saying they’d tried various cables, some more expensive, and none worked as well as the Puritan one; given there was no additional profit in it for him as the cable was supplied inclusive with the conditioner, I was inclined to take his word.

Exactly the same for my brother, the cheaper cable comes with the conditioner and since he needed a longer lead asked about the more expensive one, was told to stick with the cheaper model and for those that are interested, just paid the difference in price between the length's of cable

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cable Monkey said:

Logical if you only have one cable but I’d be inclined to pick a component that would benefit most and use it there.

So between filter and your components you have 4 cables picking up noise again? 
My take is that it doesn’t matter one bit what cable goes into the purifier, as the purifier filters it anyway. It’s what’s between the purifier and your hifi components that matters.

• Bazzer locked this topic