Puritan Mains Cables

George 47

Haayelp haayelp !   

* Betty Boop (true hifi enthusiast)

4 minutes ago, andrew s said:

If you mean try different mains cables I have. I got sent some esoteric ones when I bought an amp. No difference was heard with it v standard mains cable. Nor on replugging etc. I clearly have poor hearing or my kit is immune to mains issue in my circumstances. 

I just sit back and enjoy the music now. As far as my acoustic memory goes it is as good as hearing it live for classical. Can't comment v live rock as I would not play it that loud in such a small room.

If you intended something else please elaborate. 

Regards Andrew 

No, you have met the criteria....and thus sensibly come to your own conclusion - which I totally respect.

My only comment, is that people should be encouraged to do the same.....But then there would be no arguments and 30 page threads - and where is the fun in that.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I hoped that my three exclamation marks had indicated I was kidding.  Don’t forget that some manufacturers and suppliers offer a burn-in service, and others treat cables by super-freezing them - cryogenics.  Puritan don’t seem drawn to that approach, thankfully. 

I understand you were kidding but @CnoEvil only used two exclamation marks soooo :-D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ceko said:

I understand you were kidding but @CnoEvil only used two exclamation marks soooo :-D

I would have used more....but I ran out???????????????????

I do have lots of question marks, though......

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, zeta4 said:

The floppy shield could be something like the stuff Supra used to put round their mains cables. That was something like a ferrite loaded goo so similar to putting a ferrite around it. The problem with shielding of a short length of mains cable is that the mains is already contaminated on its way into your house so its a bit too late.

This is a problem if you think the shielding is about stopping the mains current from being "contaminated"; if you think it's mainly about keeping that contamination inside the mains cable and away from signal cables and equipment, it can absolutely do its job.

Edited by TheFlash

I had an enjoyable afternoon with the Hifi today.  I played some old favourites and some new releases, mostly courtesy of Qobuz. To recap, I’ve connected one of my new Puritan cables to my Nord/Hypex power amp

I have to honestly say that I cannot detect any obvious change over my previous cable.  If pushed, I wondered if on some tracks it sounded a fraction smoother - but that was no more than I find I perceive from day-to-day differences that are probably more about my mood, or even the weather.

That might seem a bit of a disappointing finding.  And it would be if had I been using the standard kettle lead typically provided in the box.  But the previous cable - one I’ve used for various amplifiers over a number of years - is a 1.5 metre Chord Purple PowerChord that currently retails at around £225.  The Puritan retails at £75 in the 1 metre length I bought, or £85 for a comparable 1.5 metre length.  By any standard, that’s a pretty good outcome in my book.  

The Puritan is much easier to handle and dress, and  it’s available in a choice of three colours, none of which is bright purple.  You’re not paying for fancy packaging nor glossy advertising.  And of course it’s British made. The Chord is also screened, and also British.  

George said in the opening post: “It is always great to find a product that sounds good and is less expensive than the competition.”  I couldn’t agree more. 

• Like 6

Now swap in the original mains lead as supplied with your gear, and tell us the difference, please.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nopiano said:

I had an enjoyable afternoon with the Hifi today.  I played some old favourites and some new releases, mostly courtesy of Qobuz. To recap, I’ve connected one of my new Puritan cables to my Nord/Hypex power amp

I have to honestly say that I cannot detect any obvious change over my previous cable.  If pushed, I wondered if on some tracks it sounded a fraction smoother - but that was no more than I find I perceive from day-to-day differences that are probably more about my mood, or even the weather.

That might seem a bit of a disappointing finding.  And it would be if had I been using the standard kettle lead typically provided in the box.  But the previous cable - one I’ve used for various amplifiers over a number of years - is a 1.5 metre Chord Purple PowerChord that currently retails at around £225.  The Puritan retails at £75 in the 1 metre length I bought, or £85 for a comparable 1.5 metre length.  By any standard, that’s a pretty good outcome in my book.  

The Puritan is much easier to handle and dress, and  it’s available in a choice of three colours, none of which is bright purple.  You’re not paying for fancy packaging nor glossy advertising.  And of course it’s British made. The Chord is also screened, and also British.  

George said in the opening post: “It is always great to find a product that sounds good and is less expensive than the competition.”  I couldn’t agree more. 

Glad you finally shared that sir :)

I was worried, what with all the members of the national register of cable sceptics descending on this thread :D

• Like 2

I see there as been the usual difference of opinion on burn in again   :doh: :D  This is always difficult since it is a gradual process and I don't think you can hear the differences from day to day, but I did hear the difference on a brand new amplifier and one that had 100+ hours on it since it was recorded and shown on YouTube.  Does this happen on cables, cd players, dac's  ect I don't know, but I would think there is a valid argument to say yes, electronics can improve with burn in.

2 hours ago, antonio66 said:

I see there as been the usual difference of opinion on burn in again   :doh: :D  This is always difficult since it is a gradual process and I don't think you can hear the differences from day to day, but I did hear the difference on a brand new amplifier and one that had 100+ hours on it since it was recorded and shown on YouTube.  Does this happen on cables, cd players, dac's  ect I don't know, but I would think there is a valid argument to say yes, electronics can improve with burn in.

To quote Andrew Robinson.. why is it always an improvement, never a degradation?

• Like 2

I guess it's to do with taking the 'newness' away, burning off process?

Posted (edited)

Just getting back to Puritan, as I’ve posted elsewhere on the forum, I was getting what turned out to be intermittent DC hum on my latest amp - a Norma 140 - which is brilliant but has very large dual-mono toroidal transformers which are susceptible to mains/DC problems, and our mains has been cobbled together over the years as the house was once several bedsits with their own circuits etc (we’ve had the coin machines removed!). And also it turned out it was predominantly my wife’s hairdryer that was the culprit, though possibly other items too (tried explaining this but to no avail).  Anyway, I started looking at DC blockers, and it seemed the best option was the little known Puritan company - from both reviews and comments on various hifi fora.  I got one - the 156 - on a trial basis, and problem went right away, plus a very discernible improvement on my system (soundstage, bass, detail, etc.) - really amazed me as I’d used a Minisub and other conditioners previously and found they had if anything a somewhat negative effect, making things more opaque or veiled, exactly the opposite of the Puritan.  Both the dealer and the person who owns and designs Puritan equipment, Mike Lester, stressed the need to use the conditioner with the supplied Puritan Classic mains cable, which I did - haven’t yet tried switching it for anything else, but they were very clear that they’d  tried it with other cables and the results were not as good.  The cable was included anyway, so it wasn’t a ploy to get me to buy a cable, nor did they say that I needed Puritan cables from the conditioner to my various hifi units, and so far haven’t felt the need to change the ones in situ.  I’d say the quality of construction of the conditioner and cable is excellent, and I like their industrial look.  I came across this video on the conditioner which is interesting - stick with it until the guy (OCD HI-FI Guy - isn’t that most of us?!) uses his mains noise measuring device - he’s quite amazed!  

Edited by Blodger
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I’m quite amazed as well! I’d really like to try something like that out!

One thing that bothers me about the video though. This OCD guy hears a glare, due to the fact that the Puritan isn’t broken in yet or so he beliefs. The noise meter says 0 noise. Sooo how much noise will there be after break in? -100?

By the way isn’t the two weeks break in time exactly the time you’ve got to make up your mind and send stuff back that you ordered online?

• Like 1

Mike Lester and the dealer both said it would take 1-2 weeks break-in, and I would confirm that - sound became more organic and overall seems to improve even though the DC issues disappeared straight away.  I had a month to try it out. 
BTW - in no way connected to Puritan - just think they make very good kit and offer excellent VFM - check out other reviews.  The cables do seem very good too - as much of this thread seems to suggest.

• Like 1

• rabski locked this topic
  • rabski unlocked this topic