Listening to NGKDSM etc with a clean conscience

First of all, the reason for a new thread is to avoid the potential of hi-jacking others (per pro recent "discussions"), so forgive me if this comes across as irrelevant ramblings, but...

Recent threads, particularly relating to NGKDSM and SME turntables got me thinking - I'd love to have a listen to these components / systems, but how to do that with a clear conscience? To be more clear:

* I have pretty much no interest in streaming (other than firing up "Tiger Feet" on Alexa at the end of a drunken party for two Friday night)
* Even if I did, I consider it very unlikely in the short-medium term that I would be able to afford one
* I love my LP12 and would be extremely unlikely to swap it for a £20-30,000 SME turntable, but would like to take listen just for the intellectual curiosity
* Even if I heard one and loved it, see point 2 above

Therefore, if I were to make an appointment at a local dealer for a listen to one or other (and a potential multitude of other options - speakers, amps, etc.), with no realistic prospect of actually purchasing said items I should feel very guilty that I'm just tyre-kicking and wasting the dealers' valuable time. I have no wish to do that, but, after all I've read on here I'd love to be able to have a listen.

Not really looking for an answer, TBH, but just putting this out there as I'm sure I can't be alone here, and just wondering how others have "scratched this itch"?

• Like 1

I’ve scratched a few itches by visiting fellow Wammers to hear their kit, attending the Wam show, and going to dealer ‘open days’ and demos from a single manufacturer.  

Once I got to listen to some great gear while dropping off my old Krell CD player for a service - thank you, Stone Audio.  But I’ve never booked a demo with no intention of buying.  I think that’s a step too far.  

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Nopiano said:

But I’ve never booked a demo with no intention of buying.  I think that’s a step too far.

100% agree. I guess Covid lockdowns haven't helped here - maybe once things get "back to normal" shows and open days will resurface and that's the way to go?

Posted (edited)

I think it would be truthful to go into a dealer and tell them that you want to know what the 'best' sounds like, to know whether it is worth you aspiring to it, saving up for it, so one day you can buy it from them. Be honest and say you can't buy one now, but you'd like to know if your LP12 is 'good enough' for you. That may well be a challenge they like. I think you can do that with a clear conscience. While you listen you can also decide if you need both kidneys. Or your partner :D !! While you are there, try and listen to the new Klimax streamer. You never know what you might end up lusting after. Good luck! 

Edit: correcting spelling mistakes.

Edited by jonbsbd
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jonbsbd said:

While you listen you can also decide if you need both kidneys. Or your partner :D !!

Hahaha... LOL :D

I didn't hear a top spec Klimax system until I attended a major audio show. It was a good marketing effort as it is what convinced me to go Exakt. Three years later I took the plunge (not at Klimax level). I think Linn dealers know that they will do well by planting seeds for potential future sales. I think being honest and upfront about your intentions is the best approach. Make a request, and allow them to decide.

• Like 1

I’ve done it once before to listen to the Majik Isobariks ( many moons ago) . There was little chance of me buying them at the time and the dealer was in a different city ( I was there on business). Never did this before or since. I generally hate getting my time wasted and don’t even explore other hi fi shops other then my current dealer. Now if my dealer got a new Kilmax streamer I would feel comfortable enough to demo it and tell him prior I wasn’t in the market. I’ve spent enough to earn that demo.  

• Like 1

Many years ago, I was out for a walk and serendipitously walked into a Rolls Royce dealer.

‘I told the salesperson that I had never sat in a Rolls Royce,  but there was no way I could afford it. With no hesitation, he walked my over to their top model and opened the door for me and motioned me to sit in it and enjoy. He said, you never know what your life will bring you, and you could be a future customer.

He allowed me to luxuriate in the car to enjoy the colours, textures and feel, admire the build quality and dream of driving one. I have never forgotten his kindness and generosity of nature.

‘I have built up a good relationship with a number of HiFi dealers, and they certainly don’t expect me to buy something every time I visit. They know that I have referred other customers to their shop, and are more than happy to let me audition anything I want in the shop.

‘The shops are in business to sell HiFi products, and a big part of that is for them to build up a good relationship with their customers.

‘I would not hesitate at all to make an appointment and audition something I am interesting in hearing. 

As the Rolls Royce salesperson says, you never know.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

I made an appointment for today with my local dealer and before hand told him I like to do a visit to check out his new shop and that I’m not buying stuff. So I’m going in for “tire-kicking”. I also like to hear/see/feel products that are maybe possible on the long run. 

As long as you are open about your visits the dealer has a choice to accept your visit or not, I think hifi dealers are well aware of this situation.

I want to add to this that it would different if you went tire-kicking at a dealer to buy the stuff online. If decide on a new product I will buy by the dealer who’s time was invested in me.

I also like to back up Paul’s argument, you never know how life works out and you are a potential client for the future.

Edited by Pennypacker
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I didn't hear a top spec Klimax system until I attended a major audio show. It was a good marketing effort as it is what convinced me to go Exakt. Three years later I took the plunge (not at Klimax level). I think Linn dealers know that they will do well by planting seeds for potential future sales. I think being honest and upfront about your intentions is the best approach. Make a request, and allow them to decide.

This

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, jonbsbd said:

I think it would be truthful to go into a dealer and tell them that you want to know what the 'best' sounds like, to know whether it is worth you aspiring to it, saving up for it, so one day you can buy it from them. Be honest and say you can't buy one now, but you'd like to know if your LP12 is 'good enough' for you. That may well be a challenge they like. I think you can do that with a clear conscience. While you listen you can also decide if you need both kidneys. Or your partner :D !! While you are there, try and listen to the new Klimax streamer. You never know what you might end up lusting after. Good luck! 

Edit: correcting spelling mistakes.

I think that a perfectly valid way of assessing a dealer is for you to ask  - “play me your best system and your cheapest system”

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
Typo
  • Like 1

In this months Gramophone there is an essay about people having home demo of equipment then saying they don’t want it to then go and buy it cheaper on the internet 

• Like 1

That has always blighted the Hifi retail sector @Nrwatson. The challenge to a good dealer is to show they can offer service and long term relationship that can’t be bought online.

’troll

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nrwatson said:

In this months Gramophone there is an essay about people having home demo of equipment then saying they don’t want it to then go and buy it cheaper on the internet 

There has alway been this customer in the ecosystem. Prior to the intertubes , these customers would do the same and buy from a better priced brick and mortar. 

3 hours ago, Nrwatson said:

My Linn dealer had an impressive selection of high end headphones with dedicated listening stations, and a variety of headphone amps to try out.

‘He recently removed the whole setup from the shop, and no longer has headphones for demo. Too many people were coming in to listen to the headphones and then buying them on the internet.

• Upvote 2