DV Te Kiatora Rua compared to DV XX2Mk2

Hi everyone, 

Following on from my previous post regarding Symptoms of mc cartridge failure and for anyone who may be interested/considering getting a DV TKR this is what happened. 

After another couple of weeks of listening to my xx2mk2 it became apparent it was not well, I was getting intermittent distortion through the right channel and it didn't sound right. Difficult to work out average hours of use but got to be around 2500 to 3500. Anyway,  I decided to replace it and arranged to compare one with a TKR at Cymbiosis. After doing a/b comparisons with my favourite tracks I  just much preferred the TKR. To me, it sounded more 'refined' and was presenting more detail from the vinyl which I know is a bit of a cliche but that's what I was hearing. Vocals were clearer to my 58yr old ears so for me it was worth the extra money. I've now put approx 32 hours on the TKR at home and to me it's just getting better. Another cliche alert, I'm now working through my record collection again as it all sounds brilliant. The only downside I can think of is that as it is such a sensitive cartridge your vinyl needs to be spotlessly clean or you'll hear it immediately. 

Is it worth paying twice as much for? Well for me and my circumstances yes it is. I've now started a 3yr savings plan for when I need to replace it again 🤣

Thanks for reading 

Cheers Ady 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Agree with you totally I use an Ortofon A90 and it’s superb,until you have tried a high end cartridge you don’t know what your missing

I have a second tonearm with a Lyra Delos which shares the playing time as replacement of high end cartridges can be expensive :^

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"I've now started a 3yr savings plan for when I need to replace it again 🤣"    or maybe by the time you've listened to your entire record collection, you'll have given it over 1000hrs and be ready to part ex it in again.  Vinyl is such fun.  :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have only respect for your love of vinyl and the linn lp12 for me is still my favourite turntable.  Especially now it has an upgraded bearing, which I understand from people that have upgraded is a significant improvement.

I keep flirting with the idea of treating myself to a majik in it's latest guise, but get psytracked by wasting  money on  unnecessary   products like house maintainence, food, utility bills etc.

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, stevied said:

Agree with you totally I use an Ortofon A90 and it’s superb,until you have tried a high end cartridge you don’t know what your missing

I have a second tonearm with a Lyra Delos which shares the playing time as replacement of high end cartridges can be expensive :^

Ortofon A90 here too, plus I love your choice of TT.

6 hours ago, hiesteem said:

I have only respect for your love of vinyl and the linn lp12 for me is still my favourite turntable.  Especially now it has an upgraded bearing, which I understand from people that have upgraded is a significant improvement.

I keep flirting with the idea of treating myself to a majik in it's latest guise, but get psytracked by wasting  money on  unnecessary   products like house maintainence, food, utility bills etc.

I have to confess it's a huge rabbit hole to jump down, I don't think I'll ever find my way out again 😅

IMHO the latest majik would be a great place to start 👍

1 minute ago, Ady said:

I have to confess it's a huge rabbit hole to jump down, I don't think I'll ever find my way out again 😅

IMHO the latest majik would be a great place to start 👍

Yes, I know what you mean, but I respect what you have done in making the commitment. The turntable you own is a no compromise vinyl machine and would be my choice if someone was holding a gun to my head and said here's the cash take yer pic.

I still am tempted to let myself go and raid the ole piggy bank for the lastest majik. Actually feel it's better than an entry level LP12 has been in days gone by.

Almost a bargain, I have only heard really positive reports about the Karousel bearing as noise floor reduced and detail coming forth together with an improved tonearm.

I'm trying to talk myself into it, can't yer tell!

I still have an old linn Asaka all boxed up but needs a rebuild or retip. There you are, you see, already spending money on upgrades before purchase, such is the depth of the rabbit hole!

Then where to store all the vinyl I know I would buy, given my compulsiveness on ebay, especially with Grateful dead auctions, although It does seem to me that vinyl is getting cheaper and CD more expensive nowadays.

The Karousel bearing has made a significant improvement to the LP12, it certainly did to mine.

If you are not going to get into debt then I'd say go for it,  you're only here once. Think of all the fun you'll have 😂

• Upvote 1
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Ady said:

The Karousel bearing has made a significant improvement to the LP12, it certainly did to mine.

If you are not going to get into debt then I'd say go for it,  you're only here once. Think of all the fun you'll have 😂

May I ask, do you have any problems getting hold of the vinyl you want? 

I ask, as this was the reason I gave up on vinyl in the 90's. Just couldn't get hold of much new stuff on vinyl by the time I changed over to CD .

There certainly does appear to be more variety of vinyl in the shops and online nowadays though. Hope it continues.

Edited by hiesteem
crap typing. spelling not much better.
7 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

Most of us have far greater problems stopping ouselves from buying all the LPs we don't really need :whistle:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

I ask, as this was the reason I gave up on vinyl in the 90's. Just couldn't get hold of much new stuff on vinyl by the time I changed over to CD .

There certainly does appear to be more variety of vinyl in the shops and online nowadays though. Hope it continues.

Basically what Rabski says😁. There is a plethora of vinyl available nowadays, some of it reasonably priced and some of it very expensive if you're a fan of high quality Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab pressings etc. Like all purchases you have to shop around for the best deal. 👍

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, rabski said:

Most of us have far greater problems stopping ouselves from buying all the LPs we don't really need :whistle:

This week has been especially ruinous for me! I need to be keeping some cash back for a new cartridge, coincidentally.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1