Focal speakers missing serial number

FunkyMonkey

Is there a legitimate reason why the serial number and quality control stickers would be missing from a pair of speakers?

I particular Focal Utopia speakers. Could it indicate they were originally a demo pair?

More likely pre-production or stolen I'd have thought. I wouldn't touch them, they won't be supported by Focal or their dealers if my suspicion is correct.

Even you say sticker, I assume that Utopia range wouldn't just have sticky paper with the serial number on, so is it a metal plaque type rectangle missing? Is there sticky residue where it should be? Or is it the place where it would normally be has no stamp?

If the former, more likely stolen, is the latter maybe a prototype.

In the latter case, you can still get parts directly if needed (if they have any), so not necessarily a show stopper. Otherwise you might get help from Falcon Acoustics about close matches (although at this level you're not normally talking about a similar drop in replacement, maybe a next gen beryllium tweeter etc, bass speakers are another matter).

Didn't 'real' Utopias have the SN etched onto the plate where the binding posts are?

Either way, any high-ticket speakers with serial numbers missing are a big no-no I would suggest.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, rabski said:

Didn't 'real' Utopias have the SN etched onto the plate where the binding posts are?

Either way, any high-ticket speakers with serial numbers missing are a big no-no I would suggest.

Just underneath the binding posts, which should also be wbt's as well.

41 minutes ago, Lawrence001 said:

I(f) the latter maybe a prototype.

In the latter case, you can still get parts directly if needed (if they have any), so not necessarily a show stopper. Otherwise you might get help from Falcon Acoustics about close matches.

If these are pre-production models then they almost certainly wouldn't have gone on sale as they carry the badge but are not the full package. Likely they are units that walked out of the factory one day when backs were turned. The chance of Focal offering support for items stolen from them would be (I suggest) minimal, they might offer legal assistance with getting the goods returned however...

These are micro utopia be speakers. The seller had the boxes and serial numbers are on the boxes. From pictures of other micro,s on the net, the serial numbers seem to be attached via stickers just above the binding posts. The seller has told me in his opinion there has never been any sticker attached, no sticky residue. Speakers have been upgraded with new caps by   Coherent, but would not expect them to remove serial numbers.

I can't ever recall seeing any product where the serial number is on the box and not on the item inside the box. Especially for relatively expensive items where there is a clear spot marked 'serial number' on the item.

Seriously, how obvious does it have to be that something smells like a week-dead haddock?

• Upvote 1

In all other respects they look spot on but you are quite right rabski. Think I will pass on these.

Thanks all for your valued input.

I can see a scenario where they took these on the road to demo pre release and then let their head of sales or marketing take them home once finished. Personally if they're still boxed with serial numbers I'd consider it. But then maybe someone picked the boxes up separately to make them look kosher. So maybe I wouldn't!

1 minute ago, jamwat said:

Could you get the serial nos from the box and make contact with focal to check if OK or not.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Won't mean anything. That's based on the assumption that the speakers are the ones that were originally in the boxes. It doesn't take a criminal mastermind to work out the alternative possibilities.

Either way, there are at least three non-legitimate reasons for the speakers to have no serial numbers and precisely zero legitimate reasons.

22 minutes ago, rabski said:

Either way, there are at least three non-legitimate reasons for the speakers to have no serial numbers and precisely zero legitimate reasons.

Not wishing to be contrary, but I can think of one legitimate reason.  However, that’s connected with the ‘modification’ and that alone would put me off these speakers.  If the terminal panels were replaced, assuming the picture I posted earlier is the relevant model, then they’d surely come blank.  I had the terminal blocks on my old Sonus fabers changed after a decade or so, because the plastic was known to crumble.  The serial numbers were duly transferred, which you can just detect in the picture I used when selling them.  All genuinely done by a main dealer. 

A07EA055-CB7B-460C-88F0-C3AE1321D82C.thumb.jpeg.ef70892eff35016850a78ac854ed0b30.jpeg