High Quality UK to Schuko Adaptor?

Zen Monkey

Posted (edited)

Can anyone recommend a good quality UK mains plug to schuko socket adaptor?  I'm looking to source a high quality 2-way schuko mains bar (I welcome recommendations on that too) in order that I can plug a SACD transport and DAC into an IsoTek Genesis One mains generator, but in the meantime I have a decent 2-way UK mains bar I can use but first need the adaptors as all my mains cables feature schuko plugs. Cheers.

Edited by Zen Monkey

Posted (edited)

Adaptors will still have the uk plug + schuko,so prob sound worse. tbh prob better off fitting schuko in place of uk plugs if possible. You can have if req a uk plug\fuse on lead feeding block.

Recently been using a gigawatt power strip for av, for ok cost (£200) it is a well built does what it says on tin product.

re connectors I gather iego are good vfm, I use all Oyaide but can be expensive.

best two way schuko bar (not many two way)I found is the furutech ncf duplex, I got my one modified from Akiko audio, not cheap but effects are wholly positive. 

Edited by Frizbriz

All of my mains cables have shucko plugs but I want, temporarily, to plug them into my high quality 2-way UK distributor. The aim ultimately is to find a high quality 2-way schuko distributor and not use adaptors at all but I figure that might take some time because, as you say, audiophile quality 2-way distributors are rather uncommon (it took me over a year to source the high quality 2-way UK distributor) but in the meantime I want to use adaptors as a stopgap, furthermore adaptors are useful things to have around when most of my gear has schuko plugs and sockets. 

Cheers for recommending Akiko audio - I'll look into them. I've considered taking an IsoTek Polaris 2-way filtered distributor, stripping its sockets and insides, then fitting Furutech schuko sockets and rewiring with solid core silver cable but I'd sooner not go to such lengths.

An alternative is the furutech uk double duplex, audiophonics do a diy version, just add cable. 

There is likely to be some debate about the legality or otherwise. As I understand it, if the equipment is designed to be safe with Schuko (specifically, that there are no problems if the polarity is reversed) then the thing that matters is that the initial connection is using a fused BS1363 plug into the wall socket.

Trailing leads with various two-pin plugs and sockets are not uncommon. The plug (and socket, of course) that goes onto the ring main must be the standard, shuttered type. For safety, if you have young children, I'd advise making sure everything is covered, as Schuko are not shuttered, so you can poke things into a live hole.

Thanks for recommending  Audiophonics, Frizbriz. I was contemplating an Oyaide MTS-4e 4-way schuko distributor as I'm not sure I'll find a good quality 2-way for under £500, but Audiophonics have this 4-way schuko distributor with decent spec. It's not as good as the Oyaide of course but it costs around 8 times less so worth a punt.

Audiophonics are very good. Unfortunately, the post-Brexit situation is that they will only accept orders from the UK if they are a minimum of 160 euros before VAT and post costs. They then add (and pay) the UK VAT.

Mind you, as I know to my cost, it's very, very easy to spend more than 160 euros on that site :whistle:

I realised they have a minimum order value of 160 euro at checkout but as there's nowt else I need/want right now, I purchased the Oyaide 4-way schuko distributor instead. I may order the Audiophonics brand distributor at a later date when I need more bits and have a genuine order of at least 160 euro because I'd like to hear it in action and it looks easy to upgrade with superior wiring/sockets.

Posted (edited)

I use two of the Oyaide power strips, analogue, digital, expensive yes but a last a lifetime product. Their schuko fixtures are prob best there is.

Furutech make this for diy

Furutech Hi Performance Schuko AC Power Distributors 16A 250V (R ), FP-SWS-D Wall BoxView larger

Furutech Hi Performance Schuko AC Power Distributors 16A 250V (R ), FP-SWS-D Wall Box

Model  FP-SWS-DWallBox

Condition  New 

Furutech Hi Performance Schuko AC Power Distributors 16A 250V (R ), FP-SWS-D Wall Box

Tweet   Share   Google+   Pinterest 

436,00 €

363,33 € tax excl.***

436,00 € per piece

Edited by Frizbriz

11 hours ago, Muckplaster said:

Stick with normal UK 13amp as performance is unaffected by mains stuff.

Is there a problem using a Schuko distributor in the uk, if the connecting cord to the wall is using a uk plug?

9 hours ago, antonio66 said:

Is there a problem using a Schuko distributor in the uk, if the connecting cord to the wall is using a uk plug?

No problem except the lack of separate fuses, but no sonic advantage either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We've been using one of these to enable a Crystal Cables power lead to be used, did think about changing the plug to a uk one, but the improvement was still more than enough over the previous cable, and laziness set in, will have to think about changing it sometime.  So a couple of these aren't going to break the bank and if only temporary could save you a bit.  EU Euro Europe European to UK England English Travel Adaptor Plug *CE Approved* 5021196125624 | eBay

On 20/05/2021 at 18:51, Frizbriz said:

I use two of the Oyaide power strips, analogue, digital, expensive yes but a last a lifetime product. Their schuko fixtures are prob best there is.

Furutech make this for diy

Furutech Hi Performance Schuko AC Power Distributors 16A 250V (R ), FP-SWS-D Wall BoxView larger

Model  FP-SWS-DWallBox

Condition  New 

Tweet   Share   Google+   Pinterest 

436,00 €

363,33 € tax excl.***

436,00 € per piece

I considered the Furutech Wall Box but after shipping, import duty and other charges, the 4-way Oyaide, though also expensive, offered much better value for money.

I'm using Schuko power cables and I was for a bit before I left the UK. While I was there I had a UK plug initially into my distributor and then Schuko power cables from there. Now I have a decent Schuko power cable into the distributor.