Ethernet via mains

Ceko

Anyone using these ethernet extenders that you plug into the mains? They’re wonderful! Each time I listen to my valve amp now, I can enjoy random rythms and sounds I never heard before...

That was all sarcastic of course. Don’t buy them, they’re crap. I threw away the box or else I’d have returned it already.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I use one to stream to the TV and it works fine. How good it works depends on your house wiring though.

Regards Andrew 

I use several home plugs and and have checked that there is no increase in noise through the speakers when they are connected. I find them very useful.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Blzebub said:

I think I've found the problem.

That's normally the cure.

They generally affect solid state stuff even more badly, though it's sometimes less apparent immediately. The unnecessarily high bandwidth of some solid state tings can be bady affected by signal-over-mains stuff, as that uses a high-frequency carrier signal. It's exactly the sort of thing that produces knock-on effects of intermodulation distortion, and exactly the sort of thing that designers never compensated for in power supplies, because nobody would have expected the mains to be used as a carrier for high-frequency signals.

By comparison, valve equipment design tends to take into account RF interference and resulting effects, though can still pick up interference.

You can filter it out, but it's a pig.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

These things are actually radio transmitters/receivers and use the mains wiring simply as an antenna. They work just the same with no physical connection between the devices at all. So not at all surprising that they cause interference with some equipment.

Edited by cynix

12 minutes ago, cynix said:

These things are actually radio transmitters/receivers and use the mains wiring simply as an antenna. They work just the same with no physical connection between the devices at all. So not at all surprising that they cause interference with some equipment.

Most don't/aren't.

They use the 240V 50Hz as a carrier and add high frequency modulated signal. They are definitely not 'wireless' devices and rely purely on the mains wiring.

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)

Check these 3 videos. Guy shows powerline adapters communicating perfectly with one running off a generator at the bottom of his garden and the other connected to the mains in his house... no physical connection at all. Also shows 2 powerline adapters supposedly connected together via mains wiring being completely shut down by broadcasting a radio signal on the frequency they actually use to communicate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfUEEhmHYY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-Ge61BXsaQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xAxvJILDIE

Edited by cynix

No idea about other makes. The only ones I have any experience of are the TPLink devices. They are definitely ethernet-over-power and not RF.

• Upvote 1

I have resorted to a mesh wi-if system.

A friend recommended entry level Tenda but it’s rubbish.

Stutters when I am streaming DSD128 or 256 locally and the boxes make a high pitch noise that is very annoying.

It does work though, I can get very good coverage in the converted attic and shed, so other brands many be a good choice.

I used them for one of my son's gaming, now dumped them as he has his own flat.  They put noise into the mains and would work for about 2 years then fail.

Now I use an Ethernet wireless extender to boost the signal as the new BT hub has shite wireless, don't believe the adverts.

I use TP Link Powerline plugs to network a couple of Macs, two TVs, a BTTV box, a NAS and my Node 2i. Phones & iPads are connected via a wifi Mesh system using the BT Whole Home Discs. The BT routers I find are poor for wifi, their Mesh system is much better and I have my router's wifi turned off.

The current ones have performed faultlessly for about 3 years, I did make some changes because I needed additional ethernet outlets otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. They don't impact upon the quality of my music streaming at all.

• Upvote 1

I use Netgear Powerline units on a number of systems . However I recently put one Cisco Ethernet Switch between the router and the first power line and then installed another Cisco switch using a Powerline adaptor into the switch then the switch out to the BT Box , Onkyo AV Rec , Amazon Cube and Raspberry Pi player . Not issues with noise works fine . If i am honest it worked fine without the switches in place but the sound is better now with the switches .

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bencat said:

I use Netgear Powerline units on a number of systems . However I recently put one Cisco Ethernet Switch between the router and the first power line and then installed another Cisco switch using a Powerline adaptor into the switch then the switch out to the BT Box , Onkyo AV Rec , Amazon Cube and Raspberry Pi player . Not issues with noise works fine . If i am honest it worked fine without the switches in place but the sound is better now with the switches .

Nice to know! I’ll try that tonight!