Ethernet via mains

Ceko

As no one else has posted this.........no one with a T/T can use these. The noise they generate literally hurts the ears.

37 minutes ago, Minicoupeman said:

As no one else has posted this.........no one with a T/T can use these. The noise they generate literally hurts the ears.

Has absolutely no effect on the music produced by my TT at all.

1 hour ago, Minicoupeman said:

Funny that I have a Turntable and it has no effect whatsoever , then again lots of people complain about problems with these type of units and sit there and tell me how awful they are while listening to my system . Their face when i tell them i am using them is truly wonderful to behold.

Please let me be clear i am not saying these will work for every body and I am not saying that others do not have problems with there systems and there music and there ears. What I am saying is I have not heard any of the noise or other issues that people tell me I will hear in my own system with my music and my ears. It is important that we do not state that things will be the same for all when we have no idea if that is true . It is great to pass on that you have issues with any item and warn others about possible pitfalls but please do not make statements that seem to imply that it is universal when you have not heard everyone's system that uses an item .

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, rabski said:

They generally affect solid state stuff even more badly, though it's sometimes less apparent immediately. The unnecessarily high bandwidth of some solid state tings can be bady affected by signal-over-mains stuff, as that uses a high-frequency carrier signal. It's exactly the sort of thing that produces knock-on effects of intermodulation distortion, and exactly the sort of thing that designers never compensated for in power supplies, because nobody would have expected the mains to be used as a carrier for high-frequency signals.

On my solid state I don’t really notice it until I get close to the speakers.

My little tv device needs a wired connection to work so I had this huge ethernet cable running through the house. With these home plug devices I thought I had a good solution but man does the noise suck! I’m so bummed!

why anyone would want to use a circuit carrying 240VAC for the transport of LAN traffic is quite beyond me. What's wrong with yellow spaghetti designed for the purpose?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

why anyone would want to use a circuit carrying 240VAC for the transport of LAN traffic is quite beyond me. What's wrong with yellow spaghetti designed for the purpose?

We have to use them as our landlord wouldn't think kindly to us drilling holes in his walls (we are required to live in a vicarage as part of my partners job).

1 minute ago, moo-fi said:

We have to use them as our landlord wouldn't think kindly to us drilling holes in his walls (we are required to live in a vicarage as part of my partners job).

So route them around the edges of the rooms and through the doorways.

1 minute ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

So route them around the edges of the rooms and through the doorways.

Not allowed! No holes in the walls either.

1 minute ago, moo-fi said:

Not allowed! No holes in the walls either.

The latter I could believe, but not the former.

Running cables around the house would invalidate the public liability insurance, we are governed by a different set of rules to normal dwellings due to public access  requirements. 

15 minutes ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

It took me less than 5 minutes to establish an effective network throughout a 3 storey house costing me about £60 with TP Link Powerlines. Given that it provides exactly what I want with minimal effort what’s not to like. If I was affected by the noise issues people identify I would have installed cable but in the absence of that there’s no need.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Sumdumgi said:

It took me less than 5 minutes to establish an effective network throughout a 3 storey house costing me about £60 with TP Link Powerlines. Given that it provides exactly what I want with minimal effort what’s not to like. If I was affected by the noise issues people identify I would have installed cable but in the absence of that there’s no need.

if you get away with it, I won't argue but I don't think it would be my first option for trying

I much prefer the easy option to lift carpets and floor boards and drill through countless floor joists and brick walls :D

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

If I were having a complete electrical re-wire done, I might bite the bullet and have some Ethernet cables routed around the house while the floor boards were up but for an easy plug and play solution, the homeplugs have been reliable and trouble free for me for the last six or seven years.

Edited by bobovox

In my last house I used TP powerlines. Router was in the front living room, with one powerline. In another downstairs room was the hifi with a powerline feeding my then Squeezebox Touch. The mac was upstairs with another powerline. There was a powerline in the kitchen acting as a wifi extender.

I had no issues with noise and no issues with my turntable.

I don't use them now simply because following a divorce i am now in a flat and everything is in a large living room using ethernet ables.

• Like 1