Is there a thread for people to share how they were introduced to Linn?

4 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

@Rich9600 it was Hamish @ SoundOrg who converted me to the Linn amps.

’troll

They are great in there. I feel a bit bad that they kicked off my Linn journey but haven’t had any of the sales… But, certainly a very good HiFi shop from my experience.

Must have been in the late 80s, when my town got the first Linn dealer. I went there a number of times, very sceptical and not exactly impressed by the system they were playing on. Also, all the other dealers assured me that these Linn guys were completely bonkers. It took me several years to figure out what Linn was all about. Finally, I was allowed to borrow home a LK1 and try it out, then the coin fell down. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I found a Hi-Fi shop close and went looking for a new affordable system.  The shop was cool and the owner cool too.  He listened to what I was looking for and we settled on a fine set up of a marantz amp, marantz CD player, Rega 1 table, and Linn 109 speakers.  It fit my budget and sounded really good.  After a few drop-in visits to just listen, I walked out with a Majik DSM.  That was my start.  And after more and more listening in his shop, the ADSM and A4200 came next with Vandersteen Treo CT’s.  Heaven.  But I really credit the 109’s for the start of the Linn sound.  

• Upvote 3

Wanted a streamer looked around and Jon at ripcaster popped over with the Akurate I had planned to buy he just also just happened to have a Klimax streamer with him and listened to that and that was that he ripped all my 300 cds on to a ripnas as part of the deal and I progressed from there

• Like 2

The great Neil Levenson, was the audio (and occasionally music) critic for the classical music review magazine Fanfare in the mid to late 80s and the early 90s, and he wrote eloquently and convincingly of British hifi equipment, most notably, Linn and Naim, w a little Creek, Royd, Rega and Revolver mixed in.  He extolled the musical virtues of their minimalist circuitry and was especially vocal about musical timing which is still the foundation of the Linn/Naim/Rega/Exposure crowd.  I was intrigued and auditioned equipment at Beverly Hills Audio. My first high end system was a Naim Nait 2, a Linn Basik and Spica TC-50 speakers with a California Audio Labs Icon CD player!   A revelation!  In some ways it was my fave system of all.  Though the Nait and the 4ohm Tc-50s played only at moderate volume levels before audio chaos ensued.  I upgraded to an LP12 and a Naim Aro and then to NAP 90, 72 and hi-cap, Naim CD etc.   Eventually went for more euphonic equipment but still have great memories of those systems.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, mskaye said:

The great Neil Levenson, was the audio (and occasionally music) critic for the classical music review magazine Fanfare in the mid to late 80s and the early 90s, and he wrote eloquently and convincingly of British hifi equipment, most notably, Linn and Naim, w a little Creek, Royd, Rega and Revolver mixed in.  He extolled the musical virtues of their minimalist circuitry and was especially vocal about musical timing which is still the foundation of the Linn/Naim/Rega/Exposure crowd.  I was intrigued and auditioned equipment at Beverly Hills Audio. My first high end system was a Naim Nait 2, a Linn Basik and Spica TC-50 speakers with a California Audio Labs Icon CD player!   A revelation!  In some ways it was my fave system of all.  Though the Nait and the 4ohm Tc-50s played only at moderate volume levels before audio chaos ensued.  I upgraded to an LP12 and a Naim Aro and then to NAP 90, 72 and hi-cap, Naim CD etc.   Eventually went for more euphonic equipment but still have great memories of those systems.  

He loved Linn Saras which were discontinued before I ever had a chance to hear them.   PS - Bev Hills Audio sold the Linn and Naim and Christopher Hansen the Spicas and the California Audio Lab equipment.   Sigh. This is like 1989 or so!  

Posted (edited)
On 20/05/2021 at 12:04, Nestor Turton said:

- now everybody knows a TT just goes round whether its Ariston, Fons or ERA and this LP12 didn't even have a snazzy tangential arm

This is the first time I see someone mentioning ERA. In my hometown was an elite (or elitarian?) HiFi shop, who had an ERA on display, and I remember that I really was longing to own one. But I did not dare to enter the holy halls of a High End shop as a teenager with empty pockets, so I never auditioned the ERA. The shop was next to a cinema, which I regularly visited with my girl friend. Temptations 😉

2 decades later, and 300+ km north, I eventually became the proud owner of a pre-loved LP12, then with Circus, Lingo, Ekos, and Troika. It was sold to me by Kay, my trusted advisor. I had breathed the friendly air of Speakers Corner for quite a while by then, and had familiarized myself with the Linn brand, and its local purveyors. I'll never forget how enthusiastically Kai (now running the operations of Speakers Corner Records) explained the difference between the Thorens and the Linn bearings, and platters to me during one of my early visits. This was all mind-blowing stuff, and sometimes pretty much contrary to the "yellow press" in those days.

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, TooManyCatweazles said:

This is the first time I see someone mentioning ERA

https://liquidaudio.com.au/era-mk6-belt-drive-turntable-repair-restoration/

It was a very popular TT back in the early 70s. It was made in France and advertised as Le Magic Roundabout. 

• Upvote 1

It's a long time ago, and my memory of it isn't quite perfect, but I first heard Linn when i was a teenager. My friend's father had an LP12 into a Naim 'x-pack' (I can't remember how many exactly) into Isobariks. I'd never seen domestic speakers that big before. To be honest I didn't really appreciate the set up at the time, I knew it sounded good, but we did't spend long with it - more worried about his dad getting home!! But it started my hifi interest, and I bought some second hand gear from a small hifi dealer based in a large house in Worcester. It was when I lived in London and heard what I think was a Classik in Harrods - it was a busy afternoon and a large, open room, but I listened for a while and it just transported me, away from the hubbub, people, system and speakers, and just listened to what was playing. It was the first time I'd really experienced that. Well, a few systems (not many, I'm not a box swapper) and a couple of decades later, I finally got to own my first piece of Linn. I'm limited (!) to my used Selekt Katalyst into active speakers, but I do love it. I have to admit I love it just a little bit less having heard the new Organik KDSM, but that's the risk of trying things you can't afford. I'm happy with what I have, and I'm very happy to be part of the Linn family.  

• Like 4