Good Afternoon All

Recently bought a lamp to go above my LP12 so I can actually read the record labels, it has revealed however a particularly mucky armboard I thought was clean. Any recommendations on a cleaning product maybe? Also should I raise the platter as if I was transporting it or let it bounce around while cleaning?

Cheers

John

The best cleaning product is “extreme caution”. 
Put the stylus guard on. I find a makeup brush is good for the armboard, if there are stubborn stains try a slightly damp duster. No harsh cleaners or scrubbing. You can hold the arm gently while you dust under it if need be. I’ve never felt the need to remove the platter, but do so if you’d be happier. No rules, really, just treat it all gently.

’troll

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

The best cleaning product is “extreme caution”. 
Put the stylus guard on. I find a makeup brush is good for the armboard, if there are stubborn stains try a slightly damp duster. No harsh cleaners or scrubbing. You can hold the arm gently while you dust under it if need be. I’ve never felt the need to remove the platter, but do so if you’d be happier. No rules, really, just treat it all gently.

’troll

Thanks for the tips, I've heard a few horror stories of people ripping of a styles of very expensive cartridges with a stray cardigan or jumper sleeve, ouch!

Posted (edited)

Yes, just when you think it can never happen to you…

Always wear protection.

’troll

(I almost said that’s what they get for wearing cardigans, but thought better of it :ph34r:)

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lincoln Tyke said:

Thanks for the tips, I've heard a few horror stories of people ripping of a styles of very expensive cartridges with a stray cardigan or jumper sleeve, ouch!

Happened to me once, I learned my lesson.

We have had a few customers who had their expensive stylus removed or modified when the turntable was being dusted, so I would indeed urge caution.  The armboard itself is relatively robust so cleaning with something like Windex is fine.

• Like 1

The deck is regularly and very carefully dusted so not sure how the armband has got so dirty with finger marks and streaks, only shows up under the lamp so I could always turn it off:P I did once ruin a stylus by not securing the arm when I took the deck for a service, the arm bounced about all the way from Lincoln to Nottingham. Very lucky I didn't need a new Adikt cartridge, just a stylus, and there was no other damage.