image.jpeg.13e905b7833b270b402add6fe5112de7.jpeg

I'm told we need a new one. We have recently lost All 4, You Tube apps and iPlayer is too slow to bear.  Last one I bought was about 7 years ago, it was a Samsung, got it on ebay and the software's never been 100% so not looking to repeat the ebay experience (more likely John Lewis or someone reputable).  But, replacing it.  It's a minefield out there.

4K, HDR 10, HDR 10+, Dolby Vision, OLED, QLED, Freeview, Freeview HD, TV Plus, curved screen, what does it all mean?  There are millions of TVs - please give me somewhere to start - I need to make a short list, which brand (Samsung and LG?), which three letter acronyms/functions are indispensible and which are just bollocks (our current TV has 'motion' control and 3D, that was totally pointless).

Requirements:

• There is a LAN plug in the wall near the telly which goes to the router and a co-axial plug that goes to the aerial on the roof.  Through use of one or both of these, TV will be expected to work out of the box
  • No DVD, blue ray, music, amp, satellite disks to connect to should make it easy.  We have a HUMAX recorder which is available but I don't think is used (certainly not deliberately).  Maybe get rid and buy a TV which can record by itself?  Or just forget about recording (we watch Amazon, Netflix and Iplayer practically exclusively).
  • TV needs to stream from You Tube, ideally via a tablet (presumably all Smart TVs do this)
  • Budget £500-£1000
  • Size - room is pretty average and we sit about 2-3m from the screen so guess we are in the approx 43 inch market.  Current TV is 42 inches, could be bigger but is there is a gap after 43 inches?

any pointers re 'must haves' and 'gimmicks' most welcome.  Thank you.

Edited by Valley Dweller

Super Wammer

What ever you decide check out Richer Sounds, their prices are very competitive and they offer a 6 year guarantee.

Edited by wizmax
  • Upvote 3

The in-built apps will work well to begin with but never age well so I'd advise using an external device for that. The recording to external storage options aren't too great either so I'd be looking at a new Freeview/Youview PVR with all the apps. 

Smart TVs are rubbish, the software is always badly implemented, stops being supported very quickly and dates faster than Teletext. I bought a 50" LG plasma (remember those) new in 2013, non-smart, and plugged a Chromecast into it, which makes it as smart as it needs to be: still going strong with a beautiful picture and surprisingly good sound from the built-in speakers. For movie watching I use an optical out into my Yamaha.

If you must have 4K then fill your boots, but there isn't much content around to justify it. A good quality non-smart 1080P is all you really need 👍🏼

Or you could get yourself a short throw projector 🤔

• Upvote 1

Agree that an external upgrade does wonders. The OS on my 5 or so year old Sony telly is shite and very slow. So I bought a Fire stick, which sorted everything. I ran it wirelessly at first, then got an Evergreen Ethernet adaptor. If your tv is otherwise fine, just get a Firestick or a Roku stick and you’ll be sorted for about £20 😉

This is an excellent site for TV feature / price comparisons. Just use the filters to narrow the searching to what you're looking for.

https://kagoo.co.uk/tvs

• 1 month later...

I've just pulled the plug on a Samsung QE65QN95A, there are deals on the Samsung range now, I got £400 off list price (its now 10%) plus £300 cash redemption, plus I get 7.5% off at Currys. So a £2700 TV for a little over £1800.

Nice deal but you forget to use Topcashback 😁

17 hours ago, glenhb said:

Nice deal but you forget to use Topcashback 😁

I can't as to get my 7.5% discount I have to buy e-gift cards.

It was a pukkering moment after I had bought £2300 worth of Currys ecards and when hitting the confirm button, the system responded "unable to process".

After several unsuccessful attempts I tried the Currys video help thingy and got through to a very helpful chap in what looked like a store who I could see (he could only hear me). He told me that the giftcard system was down which is probably why the transaction could not go through, and they had plenty of stock. Tried later and although I got the same message a few times eventually I saw the order had gone through

*phew*

Excellent deal even without Topcashback. I'm Yorkshire born and bred so love a discount and as the saying goes, "if you don't ask, you don't get".

For future reference I believe that if you have cash to withdraw from your Topcashback account you can take it  as vouchers for various retailers and receive a percentage bonus on top.

I think that Currys e vouchers are available as part of that scheme.

• 2 weeks later...

Should be a great TV that, I have the 20... I think 18 version? The Q9F or Q9FN I can't bloody remember.

Had a Sony oled before that just wasn't suitable for my room given the light reflection, and the god awful software! Hope your happy with it seems like you got a good version 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have a 4K Panasonic from John lewis, which is very good.  Netflix, Amazon prime and iPlayer are all built-in, and the software gets updated.  I plugged it into the LAN and the aerial and it worked straight away - just had to log in to Netflix and Amazon Prime once.

32 minutes ago, meninblack said:

I have a 4K Panasonic from John lewis, which is very good.  Netflix, Amazon prime and iPlayer are all built-in, and the software gets updated.  I plugged it into the LAN and the aerial and it worked straight away - just had to log in to Netflix and Amazon Prime once.

Panasonic used to have a Deezer app as well but it's been dropped , mine no longer works .

Mu old TVs (plasma) are still working brilliantly as TVs.  But the 'smart' one is useless.  Other than  the Iplayer (very slow) none of the apps still work and the internet experience is unusable.

Our large Samsung has been faultless. The apps work well enough, though I haven't loaded Qobuz yet. Internet and the like is a pain without a keyboard, but I don't want to use the TV to browse the internet anyway. Interestingly, the voice control actually works far better than I'd expected, and does most things correctly. Amazon, Netflix, iPlayer and the catch-up stuff have always worked properly and still seem to after three or so years.

Mind you, we only watch the dumb thing once or twice a week anyway. It's not the apps that are the issue, it's the rubbish that's being shown that's the issue.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2