Installing The New Organik DAC’s In Katalyst 350’s

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

One of the guys in England had a subwoofer right next to the sofa with his 350’s in a home theatre setup in relatively small listening room. He put on a James Bond movie with a car chase action scene, and cranked the volume. The sofa was rocking, and I felt like I was in the movie

Reminds me of that cheesy 1970s disaster movie "Earthquake." The theatre was equipped with huge speakers that were supposed to shake the audience. The effect was highly underwhelming.:D

"Sensurround"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround

Edited by akamatsu

51 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

Reminds me of that cheesy 1970s disaster movie "Earthquake." The theatre was equipped with huge speakers that were supposed to shake the audience. The effect was highly underwhelming.:D

And that reminds me of a family trip to see the first Jurassic Park movie, somewhere on the Florida Gulf Coast. We were very impressed by the low rumblings going on mid movie. Turned out a tornado had touched down a few miles away and moved a house off its supports.

’troll

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

And that reminds me of a family trip to see the first Jurassic Park movie, somewhere on the Florida Gulf Coast. We were very impressed by the low rumblings going on mid movie. Turned out a tornado had touched down a few miles away and moved a house off its supports.

’troll

A bit too realistic perhaps? :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

We were very impressed by the low rumblings going on mid movie.

When I had read to this point, I thought "the special effects technology really has improved since the 1970s." :D

Okay, back on topic.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 31/05/2021 at 10:21, akamatsu said:

"Sensurround"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sensurround

I remember the big promotion around Cerwin Vega speakers at the time. My 15 inch woofers in my JBL’s were no match for the Cerwin Vegas

I went to the Roger Waters concert in Vancouver a couple years ago, sitting in the second row, about 10 feet from the subwoofers under the stage. My pant legs flapped in the wind like I was in a hurricane. Exhilarating!!! 

The most interesting experience in a movie theatre was a Disneyland, where they had hidden within the rows of seats, sprinklers to simulate the rain in the scenes, add the smells of different things being shown on the movie screen such as flowers or buttery popcorn, and rocking the seats when there was a scene with motion in it. 

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 1

On 29/05/2021 at 23:01, Paulssurround said:

Auditioning The New Organik DAC’s Installed Into Exakt 350’s

Today I finally got to hear the new Organik DAC’s installed into the Klimax Exakted 350’’s, at my Linn dealers earlier this week.

‘The Klimax DSM/3 A/V I reviewed recently, in my own Linn system with my Akubariks, and my friend’s PMC Fact8 Signatures, was the digital streamer used for this audition. The DAC’s in the Klimax DSM/3 were redundant, as my goal was to listen to the new installed Organik DAC boards in the 350’s amplification modules.

‘The process of installing the new Organik DAC boards involved a firmware update in Konfig, that took more than 20 minutes, earlier this week. Somehow, during this process, we could no longer access Tidal or Roon, to stream music, and the best we were able to do on Tuesday was stream internet radio, before I had to head off on another task. As the Organik boards were new, it was important to do some burn in time, before I came back today.

We had connectivity issues when we hooked up the Klimax DSM, at first, in that Konfig and the Linn Account were looking for the Selekt DSM that was used in the past, and looking for my friend’s PMC Fact8 Signatures. The solution was to delete Kazoo, and reinstall it, from the App Store, then sign into the Linn account through Kazoo settings.

‘The original SO settings for the Klimax DSM/3 and the Katalyst 350’s had disappeared from 2 weeks ago, but the room measurements were still there, in the Linn account. I had to remeasure the speaker positioning and the listening position and input into SO. I played with a few profiles for SOv2, and listened for the best sounding version.

‘I settled on the default 80/20, with -10% for the concrete and -5% for partition

‘We had access to the Roon library, which also gave me access to Tidal, so finally I could play music through Roon

‘I played Steely Dan; Gaucho album, Diana Krall; Turn Down The Quiet album, Jain; Come (Extended Version), and Lou Reed; Transformer album

My go to album is Gaucho, and inevitably play Hey Nineteen. Time to turn it up. The music did not seem warmed up yet, and I was not sure how well burned in the new Organik boards were, but the music was smooth and liquid, with no hint of harshness. I played many  tracks from the 4 albums mentioned above and with each song, the music sounded better. After 10 songs or so, the 350’s were singing beautifully.

‘I played Diana Krall’s song No Moon At All, to hear the piano, stand up bass, as well as her voice. The piano was dynamic and detailed, with the feeling of the piano keys very percussive, sounding lifelike and natural. The stand up bass strings had a leading edge of tautness to the strings being plucked that was very pleasing. Diana Krall’s voice was clear, expressive and  emotional. 

Lou Reed is a favourite for the stand up bass and the reverberating strings being plucked, Lou Reed’s voice and the do do do girls. The Organik 350’s did not disappoint.

‘Finally time to play Jain’s song “Come, Extended version” Wow, it sounds incredible. The HiFi system is now warmed up and the music has really opened up. Bass is spectacular, being deep, tight and detailed, and everything is forward with a huge sound stage. There is a wonderful transparency and the whole system has great boogie factor. I go and get the owner and ask him to have a listen. I thought he was going to love it, when the drums kick in, the room is shaking, just the way he likes it, as he is a total bass head.

The sound quality grabbed his attention, the bass was rocking, the room was shaking and I think he was extremely impressed.

‘I played Hey Nineteen one more time, now that the system was warmed up, and all I could think was Hoochi mama, this sounds great. The 350’s have a very different presentation compared to my Akubariks, and they are all about power, and the sense of being at a live concert.

‘I suspect that the Organik boards will continue to break in and reach another level, so I may go back again next week for another round, and listen to more of my familiar test tracks.

Linn has done extremely well, indeed.

‘I envy the lucky person that buys these at HiFi Centre, as these 350’s started out Exakt a few months ago, then upgraded to Katalyst about 2 months ago, and now Organik. They are only asking $50K, which is half of the regular retail price. 

Today, I went back to HiFi Centre, as I felt there was something missing in SO, as I ran out of time on Saturday, and did not have my T-square and protractor with me at the time.

‘I went into the Linn account and checked the speaker positioning entered, looked at the toe-in entered, as well as the height of the speakers. Just as I had feared, there was nothing entered for toe-in and height. The original settings for speaker positioning had disappeared when the Organik boards were installed and the firmware update was done. Time to correct that.

‘The toe-in was 18 degrees for both speakers, and this was entered into Space, along with the height. Press calculate and wait for the calculation to finish.

‘I played about a dozen sons while waiting for the owner to arrive at the listening room.

I found the owner’s  personal playlist in Roon, and played a number of songs until he was free to listen. He likes loud volume and lots of bass

When he arrived, I turned up the volume. I had goosebumps on my arms and on the back of my neck, with one song after another. Bass was astonishingly deep, and went well below 20 hertz. Bass so easy to follow with great detail and you could really feel it. The mids and highs were transparent, vocal clarity and instruments superb. The sound stage was completely immersive, being enveloped by music and embraced by each musical note

The Organik 350’s were now well broken in and sounding every bit their cost. They are simply staggeringly good, and sounded so much better than they had just 5 days earlier. 

I am absolutely delighted with the results  😊

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Today, I went back to HiFi Centre, as I felt there was something missing in SO, as I ran out of time on Saturday, and did not have my T-square and protractor with me at the time.

‘I went into the Linn account and checked the speaker positioning entered, looked at the toe-in entered, as well as the height of the speakers. Just as I had feared, there was nothing entered for toe-in and height. The original settings for speaker positioning had disappeared when the Organik boards were installed and the firmware update was done. Time to correct that.

‘The toe-in was 18 degrees for both speakers, and this was entered into Space, along with the height. Press calculate and wait for the calculation to finish.

‘I played about a dozen sons while waiting for the owner to arrive at the listening room.

I found the owner’s  personal playlist in Roon, and played a number of songs until he was free to listen. He likes loud volume and lots of bass

When he arrived, I turned up the volume. I had goosebumps on my arms and on the back of my neck, with one song after another. Bass was astonishingly deep, and went well below 20 hertz. Bass so easy to follow with great detail and you could really feel it. The mids and highs were transparent, vocal clarity and instruments superb. The sound stage was completely immersive, being enveloped by music and embraced by each musical note

The Organik 350’s were now well broken in and sounding every bit their cost. They are simply staggeringly good, and sounded so much better than they had just 5 days earlier. 

I am absolutely delighted with the results  😊

They sound very impressive, think you have now heard them in Katalyst and Organik trim, impressions of the differences?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Craigas said:

They sound very impressive, think you have now heard them in Katalyst and Organik trim, impressions of the differences?

Great question.

‘The most obvious difference when you first hear Organik is the quality of the bass compared to Katalyst. Organik digs much deeper, can be heard and felt at much lower volumes, yet does not overshadow the mids and highs at all.

Overall, there is greater satisfaction of listening to the music at low volumes and still being able to hear most of the music, yet when you turn up the volume above 55, the speakers turn into a powerhouse of sound.

‘There is much more detail, such as the tinkling of the piano keys in the higher registers is downright uncanny in its ability to recreate the sounds of a real grand piano as if you are standing right next to the piano, whereas Katalyst is more like a standup piano, from a greater distance away

‘Organik sounds more realistic and less digital, compared to Katalyst, which now sounds like it has a bit of a digital edge compared to Organik.

‘Drums are extremely convincing, with an ability to discriminate which which piece of drum kit is being hit, when the drum sticks hit the skins or high hats

Soundstage is bigger and deeper, with  voices and instruments brought forward with nothing recessed in the background 

‘The overall package is one of astonishing realism

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

This is a writing error I suppose?

11 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Great question.

‘The most obvious difference when you first hear Organik is the quality of the bass compared to Katalyst. Organik digs much deeper, can be heard and felt at much lower volumes, yet does not overshadow the mids and highs at all.

Overall, there is greater satisfaction of listening to the music at low volumes and still being able to hear most of the music, yet when you turn up the volume above 55, the speakers turn into a powerhouse of sound.

‘There is much more detail, such as the tinkling of the piano keys in the higher registers is downright uncanny in its ability to recreate the sounds of a real grand piano as if you are standing right next to the piano, whereas Katalyst is more like a standup piano, from a greater distance away

‘Organik sounds more realistic and less digital, compared to Katalyst, which now sounds like it has a bit of a digital edge compared to Organik.

‘Drums are extremely convincing, with an ability to discriminate which which piece of drum kit is being hit, when the drum sticks hit the skins or high hats

Soundstage is bigger and deeper, with  voices and instruments brought forward with nothing recessed in the background 

‘The overall package is one of astonishing realism

Interesting these are the changes I heard with the new hub without Organik 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rduras said:

This is a writing error I suppose?

Sorry, I wasn’t clear.

‘The 350’s felt like they went well below 20 hertz, as they really shook the room 

2 hours ago, Nrwatson said:

Interesting these are the changes I heard with the new hub without Organik 

It has been an interesting journey, trying out the Klimax DSM A/V in various configurations with Katalyst 350’s, Organik 350’s Katalyst Akubariks and passive PMC Fact8s

I compared the Klimax DSM A/V to the Selekt DSM into Katalyst 350’s with significant sound quality improvements, as noted above. The Klimax DSM was functionally being used as a Klimax Hub

I compared the Klimax DSM A/V to my Akurate Hub into Katalyst Akubariks with significant sound quality improvements. The Klimax DSM was being used functionally as a Klimax Hub

I compared the Klimax DSM A/V to an Akurate DSM/3 with Katalyst, into PMC Fact8 Signatures, with sound quality improvements, as noted above. In this case, I was using the Organik DAC’s in the Klimax DSM A/V 

‘I compared the Klimax DSM A/V into Katalyst 350’s and compared it to Organik 350’s, with sound quality improvements, as noted above. In this case, the Klimax DSM A/V was being used functionally as a Klimax Hub

In all cases, it was a significant improvement in sound quality, with the Klimax DSM A/V and with the Organik DAC’s in the 350’s

I am not sure what to conclude,  regarding this set of comparisons, other than the Klimax DSM A/V is a major improvement in sound quality, to everything I connected it to, and the Organik DAC’s in the 350’s also brought a lot to the table.

‘It would be nice to have a Klimax Hub to compare to the Klimax DSM/A/V for the Organik 350’s

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

I am not sure what to conclude,  regarding this set of comparisons, other than the Klimax DSM A/V is a major improvement in sound quality, to everything I connected it to, and the Organik DAC’s in the 350’s also brought a lot to the table.

This is what a source component upgrade will do. Everything improves!

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

This is what a source component upgrade will do. Everything improves!

Yes, but it leaves me in a dilemma 

Do I put my upgrade money into a new Klimax Hub, or wait for the Organik boards for Akubariks, or both.

‘I have no doubt that upgrading both will give the best outcome, but what brings the most improvements to the table for the money?

I am leaning towards the Klimax Hub

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Do I put my upgrade money into a new Klimax Hub, or wait for the Organik boards for Akubariks, or both.

‘I have no doubt that upgrading both will give the best outcome, but what brings the most improvements to the table for the money?

Source First, I guess?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

Here is the way I'm looking at it. Since Akubarik, and Akudorik Organik upgrades won't be available for about two years, get the KSH now. This should provide enough financial recovery time to afford the Akubarik Organik upgrade.

I think in your case this would be the way to go. Go ahead and get the surround module while you're forking it over.

The Orgaink upgrade will be for you pretty costly with the additional Exaktbox and AEB-I. As I'm sure you are all too well aware. :D

P.S. I was, like you, offered a pretty generous trade-in on the AEDSM. I don't intend to sit on that offer for very long.

Edited by akamatsu
  • Like 1