300B. new journey

willie shaw

I have had many many  kinds of amp and speakers over the years but never ventured into 300B territory. I now have an 8 w per ch and need advice for speakers. I would be happy to build a set if that is suggested.  The amplifier is a Zanden 7000.  Im not a classical fan, mainly female vocal, jazz and blues.

thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

Hi Willie. Your Zanden looks lovely. I’d consider Audio Note ANE’s/ANJ’s depending on room size. Superb with 300B’s, great with Jazz, female vocal etc. 

Edited by marko

Thanks , would you believe I have had AN speakers a few years ago and obviously did not match them well, so sold them !!!!!!!1

Anything at least 92 db efficient, preferably higher should work well.

Depending on budget, Avant-garde Acoustic Uno or cheaper are hORNs. 

Thank you for suggestion

Avant garde,  yes,  not sure i can go that spend at the moment,  but do love them any time I heard them AND they look great IMHO

Something like the Frugal Horn MKIII kit from KJF is you fancy semi-DIY?  I would love to give it a go and have been eying up various options.

• Like 1

If you fancy a bit of restoration, you could do a lot worse than a pair of KEF 104/2. Very efficient and a full bodied sound.

Great suggestion.  Had those previously and loved them.   I will start hunting now 

I remember seeing a set in a friend’s house in burr maple.   They looked stunning 

DeVore speakers are well thought of with valve amps, someone on another forum has just sold his 0/96, but was using them with a quality 300B amplifier

12 hours ago, dannybgoode said:

Something like the Frugal Horn MKIII kit from KJF is you fancy semi-DIY?  I would love to give it a go and have been eying up various options.

Yes, I'm a fan of Mark Audio Alpair 10M single units. Simple, no crossover, 89db. It's what I've been using for years with my 300b SE. 

17 hours ago, willie shaw said:

Great suggestion.  Had those previously and loved them.   I will start hunting now 

I remember seeing a set in a friend’s house in burr maple.   They looked stunning 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303923125656?epid=1923102956&hash=item46c33add98:g:NK0AAOSwsRNgHUzc

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but I have recently had a pair of Linn Sara 9's worked on by Andrew who runs this company and i can tell you that his restoration work is really high quality . These will be a fully updated and functioning pair of speakers so appreciate the cost may be quite strong for a used pair but these will be in top class condition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bencat said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303923125656?epid=1923102956&hash=item46c33add98:g:NK0AAOSwsRNgHUzc

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but I have recently had a pair of Linn Sara 9's worked on by Andrew who runs this company and i can tell you that his restoration work is really high quality . These will be a fully updated and functioning pair of speakers so appreciate the cost may be quite strong for a used pair but these will be in top class condition.

These are 104ab's - not very efficient. The ones to go for are the 104/2's, a completely different animal. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164826299807?hash=item266069bd9f:g:50QAAOSw5KtggK98

You can pick up un-restored ones for about half this price.

18 minutes ago, Funkpig said:

These are 104ab's - not very efficient. The ones to go for are the 104/2's, a completely different animal. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164826299807?hash=item266069bd9f:g:50QAAOSw5KtggK98

You can pick up un-restored ones for about half this price.

Sorry my apologies my KEF speakers are more in line with the 104ab's . Think the ones you have shown are the ones with an Isobaric loading which may well give them the additional sensitivity . As you say they are a very different design and will sound very different . Ah well we all make mistakes and me more than most .

• Like 1