Which speakers?

tackleberry

So I’ve blown a mid on my own speakers somehow. I can’t get another. Not only that but the speakers I built where never really for my cellar so are far from ideal size wise. I’ve been using them with a Sony taf770 es. Which could drive them above any other amp I had.

The cellar is tricky for listening, I have however found a sweet(ish) spot. I’ve experimented with a fair few speakers,  too small no bass, too big, ridiculous bass flooding at the speaker end. I’m looking for a speaker like a mid size standmounter, front port or infinite baffle, can’t be too tall, as would sit too high from the listening position, not to mention touch the ceiling! maybe 10-15 L cab. Ive thought of all the brands I know, but would appreciate an outsiders ‘optimistic’ viewpoint😂 here are pics, I’d say don’t laugh, but it’s inevitable.

08E8A7B5-6084-4939-B44B-8B9EFAAB1A1F.jpeg

E4A08D0D-51D4-42B9-8711-0B8877E0DA5F.jpeg

Posted (edited)

I haven't got any suggestions but I do like the space! A proper wee control centre! Do you ever use headphones?

Edited by Nifkin

Cheers. I have headphones, though I know how good they sound, speakers run through my bloodstream!

I’m looking to spend around 1k, something that can run on a 30w suggy. Thinking of selling the es 770 to fund it.

4 minutes ago, tackleberry said:

I’m looking to spend around 1k, something that can run on a 30w suggy. Thinking of selling the es 770 to fund it.

Nice room 👍.

My suggie pairs beautifully with my PMC's. Therefore i'd be tempted on a set of 21's or 22's second hand. They'd be easy to move at no loss if it didn't work out. Or maybe some EB2's.

Somebody was selling some PMC’s on here a week or so

Personal view is look for a pair of Radford Tristar 90s .. very compact three way with 12 inch driver .. one of the best compact loudspeakers ever made in my mind.  Ken Kessler (who I cannot stand but have to agree with him here) said he had a pair many years ago and whish he had then back.
0962789135b46e61cabb72bee960c448.jpg

Posted (edited)

With your skills Craig have a look at 

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=https://www.aos-lautsprecher.de/&prev=search&pto=aue

I replaced the very expensive soft dome Volt mid driver with an SEAS one and a mid price (£125) SEAS tweeter.  They sound fab in my active system 

Edited by MF 1000

3 hours ago, tackleberry said:

So I’ve blown a mid on my own speakers somehow. I can’t get another. Not only that but the speakers I built where never really for my cellar so are far from ideal size wise. I’ve been using them with a Sony taf770 es. Which could drive them above any other amp I had.

The cellar is tricky for listening, I have however found a sweet(ish) spot. I’ve experimented with a fair few speakers,  too small no bass, too big, ridiculous bass flooding at the speaker end. I’m looking for a speaker like a mid size standmounter, front port or infinite baffle, can’t be too tall, as would sit too high from the listening position, not to mention touch the ceiling! maybe 10-15 L cab. Ive thought of all the brands I know, but would appreciate an outsiders ‘optimistic’ viewpoint😂 here are pics, I’d say don’t laugh, but it’s inevitable.

08E8A7B5-6084-4939-B44B-8B9EFAAB1A1F.jpeg

E4A08D0D-51D4-42B9-8711-0B8877E0DA5F.jpeg

You are the 'Gimp' and I claim my $20.

• Like 1

Q Acoustics Concept 20 or 3030 should be achievable with your budget. 

Posted (edited)

Is that your end of the world/ zombie apocalypse bunker?!? :D

Looks like the front ported Triangle Borea BR03 could work there. May be too tall @ 380 x 206 x 314?

Or my bottom ported Sonus Faber Chameleon Bs (315 x 185 x 283)  that I might be persuaded to part with. ;)

Edited by t1no

The budget is used by the way. Thanks for your responses guys, I’ll post tomorrow 👍

I’ve considered the proac and pmc. If I see the right units I may jump on it.

my concearn with the radford 12”, is maybe more of the same low end as what I have now.

ive not seen aos before Keith. As you know I love building stuff. This time thought I can’t be bothered building another cab! Especially after the mid on my only just built ones has packed in!....though I might....

I can’t see any proper plans on there, just sporadic measurements???