Jump to content

CD's are they dead? Do they just smell a little? or are they the invention and bargain of the century?


hiesteem
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, bigfish786 said:

Im still buying CD’s on the regular   

The SACD Player I have has a front USB port with a 32gb memory stick in there, hundreds of albums loaded onto it, I tend to use that most, as it’s convenient. I still put the odd disc on every now and then, but there’s barely any difference. 

Now that's what I call a flexible Cd player. Never new that as an option but saves getting another box to load all the cd's on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

That is an amazing piece of music to be your first vinyl. Fantastic! I am to embarrassed to mention my first vinyl record. 

I must confess to having from about 7or8 years of age in the 1950's  to being given classical 78's on shellac to play on an electric player I had been given I had no pop record other than Jimmy Young singing Unchained Melody 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

Absolutely no idea how many CDs we have here, but I prefer to listen to them, not count them. Certainly in the thousands rather than the hundreds.

Whether the format will eventually die is another matter, and one that's been discussed many times here. Who knows. People may get bored with streaming and it's certainly not particularly 'green', but then I doubt producing CDs is either.

I'm old-fashioned, though 'old-fashioned' often ends up as 'new fashion' sooner or later. I do stream stuff, but purely for quick and easy listening, or so I can see whether I like something. If I do I'll buy it on vinyl, or if it isn't available, on CD. There is no way I would ever pay thousands for a streamer based on my use and priorities, but my biggest issue with all of it is 'control'. I don't like renting or borrowing things. Unless there's no sensible option, I'd rather buy it or do without it.

It's especially the case for music. I simply don't trust software companies. They change their minds, go bust or just get bored. When anything like that happens, you can kiss 'your' music goodbye, unless you've paid to download it. In which case, you may as well buy the CD anyway. Rip them if you want, and stick them in boxes in the loft. Mark my words, one day you'll be glad you did.

  • Like 7
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, John (big) said:

I must confess to having from about 7or8 years of age in the 1950's  to being given classical 78's on shellac to play on an electric player I had been given I had no pop record other than Jimmy Young singing Unchained Melody 

What a wonderful education into the world of music. I developed an early taste for jazz as a teenager, just loved the sound and feel of acoustic rythm. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hiesteem said:

That is an amazing piece of music to be your first vinyl. Fantastic! I am to embarrassed to mention my first vinyl record. 

DG and Polydor where the 2 best vinyl processers out there .. The chemistry of thermoplastic/vinyl is very complex . To brittle and hard or too soft and flexible , to much heat and pressure over time or not enough make a huge difference in pressing and thus musical quality..DG and Polydor had got it right on the nose ..

My first record my uncle ever put on for me on his state of the art “stereogram “ was James Last “ this is James Last”. On Polydor 

I still use the album as my definitive test record I know it so well ..I’m listening to the 6/7 th copy I’ve brought as one gets over used .. some must have had over 150 plays ..Polydor got it right on the chemistry side that’s for sure..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, rabski said:

Absolutely no idea how many CDs we have here, but I prefer to listen to them, not count them. Certainly in the thousands rather than the hundreds.

Whether the format will eventually die is another matter, and one that's been discussed many times here. Who knows. People may get bored with streaming and it's certainly not particularly 'green', but then I doubt producing CDs is either.

I'm old-fashioned, though 'old-fashioned' often ends up as 'new fashion' sooner or later. I do stream stuff, but purely for quick and easy listening, or so I can see whether I like something. If I do I'll buy it on vinyl, or if it isn't available, on CD. There is no way I would ever pay thousands for a streamer based on my use and priorities, but my biggest issue with all of it is 'control'. I don't like renting or borrowing things. Unless there's no sensible option, I'd rather buy it or do without it.

It's especially the case for music. I simply don't trust software companies. They change their minds, go bust or just get bored. When anything like that happens, you can kiss 'your' music goodbye, unless you've paid to download it. In which case, you may as well buy the CD anyway. Rip them if you want, and stick them in boxes in the loft. Mark my words, one day you'll be glad you did.

Yes, I hear that a lot with streaming as an introduction to possible purchases. I'm not so sold on the idea of ripping my cd's onto another box. Sooner have a good quality player to play with. Although finding space is a drag and I get the convenience of storage playback .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, bigrod said:

DG and Polydor where the 2 best vinyl processers out there .. The chemistry of thermoplastic/vinyl is very complex . To brittle and hard or too soft and flexible , to much heat and pressure over time or not enough make a huge difference in pressing and thus musical quality..DG and Polydor had got it right on the nose ..

My first record my uncle ever put on for me on his state of the art “stereogram “ was James Last “ this is James Last”. On Polydor 

I still use the album as my definitive test record I know it so well ..I’m listening to the 6/7 th copy I’ve brought as one gets over used .. some must have had over 150 plays ..Polydor got it right on the chemistry side that’s for sure..

That's really interesting and perhaps explains the inconsistancy of some vinyl.  I remember A,M label being consistantly good recordings in the 70's.

Edited by hiesteem
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hiesteem said:

That's really interesting and perhaps explains the inconsistancy of some vinyl.  I remember A,M label being consistantly good recordings in the 70's.

I worked in Hayes Middlesex from  1986 for many years over those years I spoke to several elderly ex EMI + associate labels  employees, I was told by a few of them that they  they strongly believed that  some other companies deliberately contaminated batches of vinyl to enhance the prospects of the new CD medium as the difference was not clear enough a few random clicks and pops could be explained as one of  the defect's and the inconsistency of vinyl .

Incidentally as I understand it the physical space occupied by a CD in its box is virtually the same as an LP in it's sleeve 

Edited by John (big)
accuracy
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I got back into hi fi 2 years ago, and thought I would invest in a good CD player to play my existing 500 discs (50/50 organ and others). I have a health condition called Ataxia, which is progressive and diagnosed in 2014. and has got a lot worse this past 3 years( I can hardly bend over, kneel or walk now) So  I made the decision then  to Rip all my discs to a SSD on the new Intel NUC and make back ups (X2) Go forward 2 years, and I know buy new and pre owned CD's, Rip  with DbPoweramp, and play thru Audirvana. I listen to more music every day, and hear some discs I have not played for many years (as its just a couple clicks away). So for me I will buy CD's as long as they are around. I have 674 "ripped" CD's now, and another 6 coming next week. I will prob sell my collection nextt year, when I am sure of the copies on the PC, NAS and portable drive are as safe as they can be

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, peter the butcher said:

….. So for me I will buy CD's as long as they are around. I have 674 "ripped" CD's now, and another 6 coming next week. I will prob sell my collection nextt year, when I am sure of the copies on the PC, NAS and portable drive are as safe as they can be

Legally I believe you would then need to destroy all your rips? (IANAL, YMMV, etc.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, John (big) said:

I worked in Hayes Middlesex from  1986 for many years over those years I spoke to several elderly ex EMI + associate labels  employees, I was told by a few of them that they  they strongly believed that  some other companies deliberately contaminated batches of vinyl to enhance the prospects of the new CD medium as the difference was not clear enough a few random clicks and pops could be explained as one of  the defect's and the inconsistency of vinyl .

Incidentally as I understand it the physical space occupied by a CD in its box is virtually the same as an LP in it's sleeve 

Yes, wouldn't surprise me. I held out from buying my first Cd player which was a Marantz 63se until mid nineties. Up until then I was using a Roksan Xerxes, Rb 300 and linn Asaka cartridge.

Stonkingly good cartridge by the way and I still have it tucked away in it's box waiting for the day I step back into vinyl:nerves:Oh the tease of it!!

I did have some great vinyl, about 20 zappa albums and some great floyd and other folky and jazz stuff.

Got rid of it all sadly:( .   Still I have  forgiven myself now and was a bit fed up with system matching which can be an expensive business with a turntable system.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, hiesteem said:

Got rid of it all sadly:( .   Still I have  forgiven myself now and was a bit fed up with system matching which can be an expensive business with a turntable system.

This is a common story. Many folk I come across ditched vinyl in the late 1980s/early 1990s when CD came along. Many of them are now building up their collections again. It's interesting that many eschew new releases and want to seek out the originals. It can be an expensive business though. Any decent "original" copy of DSOTM with posters and stickers is likely to set you back £100 or more, whereas you can pick up the recent remaster on vinyl for less than £20 at Asda.

As for system matching, I like many others I know have now given up that quest to settle for a pretty modest system and just enjoy playing records warts and all.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long live CD’s…. and with local charity shops selling them off at 4 for a £1, long may that continue…

7BD5509B-1657-4640-943B-73CA58E557EA.thumb.jpeg.0c1ea2cfdbbb59e7b698e9d3e3e4a5cb.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Phil Bishop said:

This is a common story. Many folk I come across ditched vinyl in the late 1980s/early 1990s when CD came along. Many of them are now building up their collections again. It's interesting that many eschew new releases and want to seek out the originals. It can be an expensive business though. Any decent "original" copy of DSOTM with posters and stickers is likely to set you back £100 or more, whereas you can pick up the recent remaster on vinyl for less than £20 at Asda.

As for system matching, I like many others I know have now given up that quest to settle for a pretty modest system and just enjoy playing records warts and all.

I did not get rid of my vinyl my mother threw out the 78's when I got married in 1978. I  was the bane of local charity shops in the dark days picking up clean (unscratched) mostl classical LP's. some now extremely valuable.

I have DSOTM the quadraphonic version at the time unobtainable so I acquired from a Tatler article the home address of the then CEO of EMI wrote him a letter in return I received a letter from someone lower down the food chain and a free quadraphonic DSOTM.

I have an original "Wish You Were Here" we moved out for building work my CD's & LP's stored by my daughter in Dorset Covid stopped me picking them up, I bought the 2016 I think "Wish You Were Here" remix.  The remix is clean & I think MM's drums a tad fuller/warmer great remix I was lucky. I have original CD's ie War of The Worlds I also have a multi layer version the CD layer sounds slightly brittle, on my Cambridge CD4 se or NOS re-clocked Philips CD104 my Sony Blu-ray will decode the HDCD but because of the licence no co-ax or optical only HDMI.     

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I own 5 times more CD's than I do LP's but listen to LP's 5 times more often than I do CD's !

Odd hobby this music stuff, or maybe it's just me that's odd 🤷

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...