Jump to content

Fiddling and Fettling


oldius
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Moderator
Posted (edited)

I spent a lot of time setting up, yesterday, and what a difference it can make. The particular difference was getting the VTA absolutely right.

TTS8000, Phonomac AT1010, Audio Technica Art-1, Denon PMA850, Yamaha NS1000 and the utterly wonderful Curtis Mayfield, on original German pressing; my favourite of his and essential, in my view.

 

20210530_161006.jpg

20210530_161146.jpg

20210530_161157.jpg

20210530_161333.jpg

20210530_161358.jpg

Edited by oldius
  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great pictures and in the first one just can just see how nicely aligned things look.  What process did you use for VTA fine tuning - purely by ear or some measuring involved? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, lostwin said:

Great pictures and in the first one just can just see how nicely aligned things look.  What process did you use for VTA fine tuning - purely by ear or some measuring involved? 

I am fortunate enough to own a couple of pieces of kit to help. One is the Feickert protractor and the other is something very similar to this:

image.jpeg.db8856c6c33ce10e6bbe5268eeca89c0.jpeg

So, dropping the arm on to a record of average thickness, I can then place this on top of the album, behind the headshell, and get a proper look at VTA, adjusting the arm column until it is as level as can be.  Though I have the gear, I can be a bit 'plonk it down and forget it' at times; this was the first time for a long while that I have really invested the time.

Edited by oldius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it just my eyesight (I am waiting for a cataract op 16/06) or are your Yamaha's different finishes the one on the right in the picture looks to be a wood finsih but the one on the left looks to be just black . I hope there is a real explananation and it is not just my eye sight is getting worse.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator

I think it is just differences in lighting.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic looking system...I like the silver over black ampllier - very retro. Im sure it sounds every inch as good as it looks....and more... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Joss said:

Speakers look amazing. Are they quite solid on the stands. It looks like they would fall over easily but obviously not. 

Very Solid - they are the original Cliff Stone Foundation stands, a very solid 2 pillar jobby and bloody expensive at launch.

20210601_153944.jpg

Edited by oldius
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, bencat said:

Is it just my eyesight (I am waiting for a cataract op 16/06) or are your Yamaha's different finishes the one on the right in the picture looks to be a wood finsih but the one on the left looks to be just black . I hope there is a real explananation and it is not just my eye sight is getting worse.

They're a mahogany, Andrew, both of 'em!

20210601_153922.jpg

20210601_155956.jpg

Edited by oldius
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 2010*zuma said:

Fantastic looking system...I like the silver over black ampllier - very retro. Im sure it sounds every inch as good as it looks....and more... 

I love it and have owned it a long time. It is the Denon PMA850 from 1978. The internals give a clue as to why I like it so much - independently wound transformer; 3 input, self adjusting phono stage and has driven everything I have owned.

denon pma850.jpg

Edited by oldius
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, oldius said:

I love it and have owned it a long time. It is the Denon PMA850 from 1978. The internals give a clue as to why I like it so much - independently wound transformer; 3 input, self adjusting phono stage and has driven everything I have owned.

denon pma850.jpg

the internals look very much as contemporary as today's integrated's... 

if it were a car your chassis colour scheme would fall under 'two tone'...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
6 minutes ago, 2010*zuma said:

the internals look very much as contemporary as today's integrated's... 

if it were a car your chassis colour scheme would fall under 'two tone'...

I recently had a £6k integrated on trial for a week and had a preference for the Denon. I am not certain that amplifier technology has moved on other than having phono stages and headphone amps taken out, both of which this includes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, oldius said:

I recently had a £6k integrated on trial for a week and had a preference for the Denon. I am not certain that amplifier technology has moved on other than having phono stages and headphone amps taken out, both of which this includes.

I have very recently sold my house STC and have had my rather exuberant system boxed up the last 6 weeks I don't want to part with it as i am happy with it and have no resentment towards my outlay on it - it's just a slight burdon being largish floorstanders and two man lift integrated... the inconvenience of me not being 'light on my feet' as I haven't made my next plan where to live yet. 

.. looking at your system you just get the feeling it performs too.. synergistically it all looks right...the old adage - if it ain't broke! 

Edited by 2010*zuma
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oldius said:

I love it and have owned it a long time. It is the Denon PMA850 from 1978. The internals give a clue as to why I like it so much - independently wound transformer; 3 input, self adjusting phono stage and has driven everything I have owned.

denon pma850.jpg

Proper hifi porn that is😍😍😍

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm intrigued by the vases on the mantelpiece, they look a bit Majolica but the tops are very Chinese. What are they?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...