I thought I would post my reactions to a recent upgrade (as it's others' reactions to theirs that I enjoy reading here.)

As I reported above, I am now listening to new integrated Akubariks fed by a Klimax System Hub (2018 version) - the latter to be replaced by the New Generation Klimax when it's built.

Unfortunately, quoted delivery time for it is 10-12 weeks.  Mind you, I was quoted 4 weeks for the Akubariks and they were built, delivered and installed in 9 days! 

The system is exceeding expectations by a considerable margin, and while I'll try not to gush (again) I'm finding it quite addictive.  The Qobuz subscription is certainly proving its value a few times over. 

What's impressing is sheer vivid realism, demanding attention and focus on each of the aspects we individualise when we try to describe sound in words.  For me, it's that concert-hall experience of noticing instrument placement and their contribution, while being flooded with the effect of their "orchestrated" whole.  It's that "being in the room" experience.  I remember in my teaching days, observing a cellist from the CBSO holding the attention of a small hall of pupils.  She drew the bow across the strings, then plucked a sting and asked them to listen to the sounds then to their respective decays.  The effect widened eyes.  When your system does that for the music you are listening to, you have a system indeed.

Of course, I'm waiting for this stage to pass, and try to tell myself, "It's the music, stupid" not the sounds it's making.  It's coming, and I am one happy bunny.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Congratulations. I have the same digital/speaker setup as you and I have to say I find it very satisfying. 

I shall have to listen to a NGKSM at some point in the near future but, for now, I’m quite happy with my KSH. 

• Like 2

Akubarik system here as well. I also have a Klimax LP12, so I mainly listen to vinyl. However, with my recent final adjustment to the setup via Space Optimisation, I'm listening much more to Qobuz. I'm looking forward to a new KSH as I will order soon. I'm thinking I'll be DSing much more in the near future.

Congratulations!

Posted (edited)

Congrats!

I have recently upgraded my speakers/amp section jumping from Majik 140/Majik 2100 to Klimax 350A. I'm more than happy with 350A! They are much more powerful than I expected, a true demonstration of power when played loud. On the other hand side, at lower volumes they peform efortless and relaxed. Yet when dynamic part of a song demands power, they delivere it with ease! They are ideal for large orcestra, my eyes often fill with tears, honestly... unbeleivable emotional experiance when large orcestra pieces with powerful parts played loud.

My idea is to further upgrade 350 to Organik spec... but that will wait a bit now :) 

Cheers!

NL 

Edited by NL.
  • Like 4

I'm intrigued by your upgrading path Nikola, side-stepping "source first" in favour of what will be top of the range speaker set-up. Or are you not done yet?  I considered 350s for my system but thought them too big for my room.  I'm wondering if Organik boards will be available for my Akubariks down the line, and when/if they are, it would certainly be interesting to compare systems.  (Not that I can get to Serbia to do it!)

Happy listening.

Vic.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to hear benefits of upgrading 350s with Organik whilst using akurate hub so hurry up and upgrade Nikola :dunno:

• Like 3
On 04/06/2021 at 08:03, vicjayl said:

I'm intrigued by your upgrading path Nikola, side-stepping "source first" in favour of what will be top of the range speaker set-up. Or are you not done yet?  I considered 350s for my system but thought them too big for my room.  I'm wondering if Organik boards will be available for my Akubariks down the line, and when/if they are, it would certainly be interesting to compare systems.  (Not that I can get to Serbia to do it!)

To be honest, I have been searhing for used active Akubariks (with or without Katalyst) ... when my dealer from Germany informed me he recieved extremely good loking and relatively "young" pair of active 350s as a trade-in. The price was more than fair and tempting. At the time Organik has been introduced I realised those 350s, despite being an old model, could be upgraded to the latest spec with Organik dacs. That fact made them a kind of futureproof and I decided to overjump Akubariks.

There are also other practical reasons - active 350s could be paired with any 3rd party preamp, which maks them more easy to sell, if I decide to part with them ... especialy in Serbia, with unfortunately modest hifi market. Of course if I would decide to follow the path to Organik, this will change their marketability, as they'll become only Linn compatible. 

My immediat next step will probably not be to upgrade 350s to Organik, but to upgrade my DSM from Akurate Katalyst to old Klimax DSM Katalyst. Then my Akurate LP12 should receive an upgrade too... and only then I should think of Organik 350s.

Regarding your concern about 350s being to powerful for smaller rooms, I would just say that Space optimisatuon makes wonders :) My listening room is cca 25sqm, almost sqare, but 350s "shine bright like a diamond"

Btw its more easy to get to Serbia than peaple usualy think :)

P.S. I have compared directly my 350s with D&D 8c (which I seriously considered to acquire) in my listening room ... and 350s blow them away with ease.     

I believe you would get to keep your old modules if you upgraded to Exakt/Organik so you could always swap back if you wanted to sell them on to a wider market.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
10 minutes ago, NL. said:

Of course if I would decide to follow the path to Organik, this will change their marketability, as they'll become only Linn compatible. 

As the upgrade will require replacement of the existing rear pods with Exakt Organik versions, you could insist on keeping the old modules which would allow you to sell them on as either Aktiv or Exakt.

’troll

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
18 hours ago, NL. said:

Regarding your concern about 350s being to powerful for smaller rooms, I would just say that Space optimisatuon makes wonders :) My listening room is cca 25sqm, almost sqare, but 350s "shine bright like a diamond"

Btw its more easy to get to Serbia than peaple usualy think :)

I meant physically too big for my room.  I think anything bigger than my beautiful new matt-black integrated Akubariks would be a little over the top.  

On your next move decision, I think I'd go source first and get the Klimax.  When I swapped my Akurate Hub for the Klimax (into 242s) the improvement was significant, to say the least.

If I were up for a holiday at the moment, Serbia would be high on my list of places to visit.  I hear that it's beautiful.

Vic

• Like 1
1 hour ago, vicjayl said:

my beautiful new matt-black integrated Akubariks

You must post photos in the "show us your Linn" thread.