Wanted - Speaker cable for Single Driver Beauhorns

Hi as this Forum is so helpful ( creeping out of the way) and you have in the past helped me buy my Beresford Caimen Seg Dac I thought I would try again. Due to the acquisition of Beauhorn Rhapsody B2.2 I find myself needing longer suitable speaker cable as my 2x 3 metre VDH and Van Damme 6 no are longer enough. I need to 2 X 5 metre runs so far have been recommended simple solid core in the wall cable  and QED 79 strand at one end of the price spectrum and DNM Reson at the other end. Can't afford the DNM at over £33 per metre so would cost me £350 plus terminations. Anybody got anything that might be a good fit for @ £150 -£200 . My amps are Crofts although I no longer need the 100 watts per channel and will soon be looking for a SET. What does anybody have that might work?

How about NVA LS3 speaker cable. I use it on my Shindo amp. Sounds great and won't break the bank.

Looked online still maybe a bit pricey if o have understood website. One 4 metre stretch £105 , they don't mention 5 metre runs . So still looking at over £230 at least for 2x 5 if it is possible to buy 5 metres . Have I misunderstood ?

I use this from kabeldirekt, and never felt the need to go back to expensive cables.

KabelDirekt – Pure Copper Stereo Audio Speaker Wire: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

VanDamme 'hifi' grade. With those speakers and the Croft, the 4mm will be fine. It took Audio Note biwire to displace the VD here, and the difference was nowhere near massive.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rabski said:

VanDamme 'hifi' grade. With those speakers and the Croft, the 4mm will be fine. It took Audio Note biwire to displace the VD here, and the difference was nowhere near massive.

+ 1 for Van Damme👍

I've been experimenting with this stuff with excellent results: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/duelund-dual-dca16ga-tinned-multistrand-copper-wire-cotton-oil-insulated.html  - lots of info online if you sniff around - I think it's a bit of a bargain, but obv more of a commitment than the perfectly decent VD stuff - YMMV etc - MH

18 minutes ago, MotherSky said:

I've been experimenting with this stuff with excellent results: https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wire/duelund-dual-dca16ga-tinned-multistrand-copper-wire-cotton-oil-insulated.html  - lots of info online if you sniff around - I think it's a bit of a bargain, but obv more of a commitment than the perfectly decent VD stuff - YMMV etc - MH

+1 for Duelund DCA16GA as speaker wire from me

• Like 1

Hmm some food for thought in the replies. Can I ask how many folks who have replied are using Single Driver horns with valves or a SET . I guess there might be "good general speaker cable" .  I wanted to try to establish if there was good cable more specifically for the type of horns I have and the type of SET I will probably buy Decware or even cheaper option.

I would normally sell to re - finance a purchase but really want to keep my Croft pre and power too although I don't need the 100 WPCs or anything like it . In fact it might be what is causing the hum ( thankfully not audible unless quiet passages or no music on ) .

17 minutes ago, Mike Milne said:

Hmm some food for thought in the replies. Can I ask how many folks who have replied are using Single Driver horns with valves or a SET . I guess there might be "good general speaker cable" .  I wanted to try to establish if there was good cable more specifically for the type of horns I have and the type of SET I will probably buy Decware or even cheaper option.

I would normally sell to re - finance a purchase but really want to keep my Croft pre and power too although I don't need the 100 WPCs or anything like it . In fact it might be what is causing the hum ( thankfully not audible unless quiet passages or no music on ) .

I've used NVA LS3, Duelund DCA16GA and DNM cable with lowther speakers and a 2a3 SET and a EL34 SET amp.

All three are great with SET amps.

The best value for money of the 3 you mention ?

23 minutes ago, Mike Milne said:

The best value for money of the 3 you mention ?

That's a difficult question to answer.

NVA sounds great for the money and has a good value upgrade path.

DNM I thought was just ok.

The Dueland is harder to pin down. It has a unique sound and make up and would be great with SET amps but sounded poor with modern amps and speakers. Remember it is sold by the linear metre so needs twice as much cable as the others.

Best value would be the NVA. Imho.

4 hours ago, Fullrange said:

sounded poor with modern amps and speakers. Remember it is sold by the linear metre so needs twice as much cable as the others

Are you suggesting that my amp and speakers are not "modern" - seems pretty arbitrary to me...

Also should mention that the link I posted is for the dual DCA16GA, so you don't need twice the amount - it's about £20/M inc VAT 

I have not tried NVA cables, but I can say that there was very little to choose between the Duelund and my resident AN Lexus speaker cable - all my ICs are now Duelund terminated with KLE plugs - obviously all these things are system dependant, but speaking as someone who perceives substantial differences between different cables (and having spent fairly significant amounts of cash in the past to this end), I would strongly recommend at least trying some out if you have the opportunity - MH

Posted (edited)

Nobody has established that there is a 'good cable for the ..type of horns I have..and the type of SET I will probably buy.'

That individual Wammers have had good results with this or that cable in a HE system means nothing and does not support the hypothesis. You would need a non SET and medium efficiency speakers of comparable cost and quality to even approximate a comparison, and any conclusions would be highly tentative.

I hadn't even thought of or come across such a hypothesis before. Cant think what theory such a hypothesis could be based on or derived from either.

Maybe someone could advance a scientific theory that might suffice..maybe something to do with impedance characteristics of valve amps or the fact that they are voltage, as opposed to, current devices..?

(Dueland are known for their excellent capacitors, so the brand caught my eye..)

Jack NSM

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

So it would be @£100 for a 5 metre pair minus the terminations of the Duelands you qoute ?Mike