Worth a watch. One Man's Dream - 'Best System In The World'. Ken Fritz Documentary

eddie-baby

21 hours ago, marko said:

Human endeavour is an amazing thing! Absolutely fascinating. Anyone know what the piano music playing is at around the 40 minute mark?

According to the credits, it is likely to be a piece from the studio that his son Scott Fritz runs, they have 800 songs listed, so I can't tell you which one!

http://www.strandedonaplanet.com/about-us

Scott wrote this too: 

Ken Fritz does seem like a very nice and approachable chap as well. In the description and some of the comments he says if there are any questions or anything he doesn't mind being contacted and gives an email address. It's a pity its not UK as I'm sure I could see a Bake Off happening there if there was :) I quite fancy my chances actually with my DIY LS3/5A's xD try them on his Krells.

$1.75M for him to custom build the room and some of the equipment. He said that the journey was more important than the destination and that makes sense to me. 

And also that if you built it then you have to like and and you have to lie to yourself if you don’t. He said that a few times and it made me wonder if he does like it. I hope so as he put so much into it. As others have said seems a nice guy.

Am surprised about the use of Panasonic drivers rather than something more high end. Wondering what we don’t know about Panasonic. Also that he has clocks in the room and would have thought that they interfere in some way. 

31 minutes ago, DomT said:

$1.75M for him to custom build the room and some of the equipment. He said that the journey was more important than the destination and that makes sense to me. 

And also that if you built it then you have to like and and you have to lie to yourself if you don’t. He said that a few times and it made me wonder if he does like it. I hope so as he put so much into it. As others have said seems a nice guy.

Am surprised about the use of Panasonic drivers rather than something more high end. Wondering what we don’t know about Panasonic. Also that he has clocks in the room and would have thought that they interfere in some way. 

It does make you wonder.

If he's build behemoth speakers that are practically immovable its as you say convince yourself they are good or do what :)

As far as I can gather he's not an audio engineer as such. What if say Focal came into that room with a flagship pair of their own, or ATC, whoever. These are the people who have done years of R&D. Not that its means everything they are all just drivers in wooden boxes normally some of which are appealing to some ears and not others. It's just the massive money, time and painstaking effort that's gone into it which seems like what could be considered a waste of resources to me. Of course as he said it was the journey and everything that was the joy for him. So each to their own :)

If it were my money though, I would have been travelling to everywhere and get something that I knew was going to be uber satisfying to my ears and probably my eyes as well, think I would still have quite a bit of change left to retire on and just listen to records as well from what he's spent. Nice if you've got it but there's the rest of us who live in the real world :(

• Like 1

This is something you can easily and typically see happening in America though. And nothing against Americans or anything again before anyone starts, we're all weird and conditioned in some way, and anyone who's not exactly like us is different or slightly marginalised its just the way we work, we group things for convenience and understanding. It's just as soon as you go there (Texas was the last state I visited), things can tend to be supersized to say the least!

On 06/06/2021 at 18:48, pmcuk said:

If I had a room that size I'd put a snooker table in it and play with my friends......

I'd put a grand piano, a harpsichord, and a B3 Hammond with Leslies in it.

What an interesting guy. He's obviously someone who is used to creating things and he probably gets more satisfaction out of the speakers that he made than he would from something better that he just bought.

Great video. :^

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/06/2021 at 16:20, eddie-baby said:

A system which he has built that he believes to be the best in the world. Highly debatable that but everything he's done is still an incredible feat none the less. He does seem to have an infinite amount of time to dedicate to it and money tho. Not sure if I had either of those things would I have anything near that resembles this but its still a really interesting story.

Interesting he went for line array as well.

'the world's greatest stereo system is inside a Virginia home' 

You may wish to Google the above for an update and hear the some of the system. 

Edited by 2010*zuma

One Man’s search for the perfect system - would make a great film

Maybe starring Woody Allen or Rowan Atkinson.

He loses all his money, friends, and his girl - but after a long journey finds..... himself. 

But maybe that’s not the end ....maybe it can still be improved ? 

Directed by Ingmar Bergman. 

On 06/06/2021 at 16:20, eddie-baby said:

Interesting he went for line array as well.

The room is huge, he needs the narrow directivity of the line array.

3 hours ago, Bigwig07 said:

One Man’s search for the perfect system - would make a great film

Maybe starring Woody Allen or Rowan Atkinson.

He loses all his money, friends, and his girl - but after a long journey finds..... himself. 

But maybe that’s not the end ....maybe it can still be improved ? 

Directed by Ingmar Bergman. 

To quote Woody Alen, 'Don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone you love.'

• Haha 1

The room is huge, he needs the narrow directivity of the line array.
So is this the world's best system. For a room exactly like his?