R-Pi 4 - Hot!

Depends what you mean by "quite Hot"

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/thermal-testing-raspberry-pi-4/

What is the pi doing? and for how long ? some context is required, can you place your hand on the top of the case and how long can you keep it in position ?

Depending on the OS you shoul;d be able to find the CPU temperature

Don't worry, be happy 9_9

ronnie

Posted (edited)

This is my rpi 4b (8gb) running Raspberry PI OS Buster Desktop with LMS install. It has been up for several weeks ans is in a case with passive cooling.

rpi4b-temp.png

When I was working with hot metal, hand hot was about 50 centigrade, plus or minus :cool:

Edit: should say that's streaming radio Paradise to a Squeezeboxen Radio

Edited by Man in a van

Posted (edited)

Thanks for your help Ronnie, much appreciated 👍

It's running Volumio and been playing most of the day. I've just added the 'System Information' plugin and can see the temp is 50degC - I guess this is OK?

Edited by Bourneendboy

Posted (edited)

Yes the maximum working temperature of the Pi 4 is 80 Deg but it does start throttling back if the temp gets to 75 + . The board is designed to work 24/7 without being turned off at up to 65 Deg so yours is fine .

I have just checked my Raspberry Pi 4 8GB which is running as my LMS and so is on 24/7 and working it shows 42.3 DEG and stays like that for most of the time with a very slight temp increase to 45 DEG when I am doing a full rescan of my music files . This is in a Fliirc case and the case is hot to the touch but not very hot . Given this i think yours is running fine and is not an problem . This Pi 4 has been on for over 12 months with only the occasional reboot when it is updated.

Edited by bencat

I am running 2 Pi 4 players in standard plastic cases. I've attached oversized heatsinks to the processor chips and they seem to work fine - they settle down to somewhere in the mid-50s.

I’ve run my Pi4 inside two different ALLO plastic cases. One with a BOSS DAC Hat, the other with a Digi One signature. Runs somewhere between 55-59 degrees.

With no HAT, I’ve also run the Pi in a FLIRC case and seem to remember it running 45-48 degrees.

• Like 2

My Pi 4 model B in a cheap and nasty The Official Pi Case runs fairly warm. A friend has the same in an aluminium case, which runs warmer. I'm Volumio and he's RoPieee.

Based on my limited experience and sample size of two, I think "a bit spicy" is the standard operating temp for a Pi.

• Upvote 1

I have an RPi 4 8 gig running 24/7 as my main music streamer running MoOde, it gets warm but not hot?

Aluminium clam shell