Jump to content

Ripped CD's or Downloads?


Recommended Posts

Evening All

Making good headway ripping my CD's to my new Qnap NAS, having listened to both rips and streamed versions definitely prefer the rips. Was thinking about future purchases and will continue buying vinyl as first choice, CD second choice. What are peoples thoughts on FLAC downloads (Quobuz for example) compared to ripped CD version? I've always been someone who likes having the physical medium but since i've started boxing up my CD's my living room is a lot less crowded so might sway towards downloads.

Majik LP12 Trampoline Lingo MK3 SDSM 2XLK85 Active Katans

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This video series has kind of wised me up to the notion that paying extra for a hi-res download my not buy additional sound quality. I believe some here have determined that the overall sound quality is more a function of the original recording, rather than format. Your post is rather timely for me as I'm DSing more lately. I'll continue to use Tidal/Qobuz to discover music. I'll buy the LP of albums deemed worthy. If the LP isn't available, I'll get the CD and rip. Support the musicians.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, akamatsu said:

This video series has kind of wised me up to the notion that paying extra for a hi-res download my not buy additional sound quality. I believe some here have determined that the overall sound quality is more a function of the original recording, rather than format. Your post is rather timely for me as I'm DSing more lately. I'll continue to use Tidal/Qobuz to discover music. I'll buy the LP of albums deemed worthy. If the LP isn't available, I'll get the CD and rip. Support the musicians.

Very Interesting, probably best sticking to buying the CD if I can't get vinyl, plus a very good point about supporting the artists.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I buy downloads from Bandcamp or direct from the artist when available.
Otherwise it is ripped CDs (I use XLD on a Mac)

This software looks interesting https://www.remastero.com, but to be honest I simply play whatever I have and it sounds good to me so I'm not sure how much I'd use software upsampling no matter how effective it was. I have a Chord mScaler and I often think it makes 16 bit recordings sound as good if not better than 24-bit ones. I am yet to hear Organik. 

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Lincoln Tyke said:

I've always been someone who likes having the physical medium

Hi John,

same here, I continue to buy physical mediums (Vinyl or CD) and hardly ever (Hi-Res) downloads.

I would only prefer to buy FLAC downloads if this would result in better sound quality which would give me the impression that CDs are generally inferior (which is not the case). For you this might be different and will certainly depend to a large extend on your ears xD

In addition - as already mentioned in this thread - Hi- Res  / FLAC files are not automatically of better quality, quality will depend on the original source and the upsampled 196/24 FLAC file of a poor source wil lstill sound horrible.

Typically I play the physical mediums only once in order to digitize them:

- For vinyl I am using the Songcorder app (works very well with your Selekt DSM and Majik LP12) to create lossless files and Vinylstudio for the track separation, declicking, mormalisation and tagging incl cover art). This takes between 5-10 minutes per record (plus the recording time at "single speed", ofcourse) in ordedr to transfer the perfectly ripped files to my NAS. I keep the vinyl records in my living room.

- for CD's I am using the dbPoweramp app in combo with an fast external BD/CD/DVD drive attached to my Mac to rip the CD's into FLAC files. Ripping time (inlcuding transfer to my NAS) is usually not more than abt 3 minutes per CD. I keep the CD's but they are stored in the cellar...

Jens

Edited by JensA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, JensA said:

Hi John,

same here, I continue to buy physical mediums (Vinyl or CD) and hardly ever (Hi-Res) downloads.

I would only prefer to buy FLAC downloads if this would result in better sound quality which would give me the impression that CDs are generally inferior (which is not the case). For you this might be different and will certainly depend to a large extend on your ears xD

In addition - as already mentioned in this thread - Hi- Res  / FLAC files are not automatically of better quality, quality will depend on the original source and the upsampled 196/24 FLAC file of a poor source wil lstill sound horrible.

Typically I play the physical mediums only once in order to digitize them:

- For vinyl I am using the Songcorder app (works very well with your Selekt DSM and Majik LP12) to create lossless files and Vinylstudio for the track separation, declicking, mormalisation and tagging incl cover art). This takes between 5-10 minutes per record (plus the recording time at "single speed", ofcourse) in ordedr to transfer the perfectly ripped files to my NAS. I keep the vinyl records in my living room.

- for CD's I am using the dbPoweramp app in combo with an fast external BD/CD/DVD drive attached to my Mac to rip the CD's into FLAC files. Ripping time (inlcuding transfer to my NAS) is usually not more than abt 3 minutes per CD. I keep the CD's but they are stored in the cellar...

Jens

Hi Jens

I was thinking about downloads more for saving space as long as they weren't inferior than CD but I think consensus of opinion is stick to CD rips.  Got this thing about de cluttering my living room, however I've got storage room to keep buying CD's

No plans to digitise my vinyl, I'm also using dbPoweramp and an Apple CD/DVD driver with my MacBook and making good progress, impressed with the speed. Might have everything ripped by the end of the week at the rate I'm going.

Also come to a decision about saving space by reducing Hi-Fi boxes I've got, so after giving it some thought, as there were a few options, I'm replacing my trusty old LK85's with two power amp cartridges and upgraded power supply for the Selekt and keeping the Katans Active. So I'll be down to LP12 Selekt and Lingo, probably keep my Genki in case of any network catastrophe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Lincoln Tyke said:

No plans to digitise my vinyl,

John,
you should give it a try!  I am rather impatient and would never spend hours with digitising a single record, but with Songcorder+Vinylstudio (ttl cost < 100 €) it's no pain anymore and  almost fun, even with totally worn out vinyl records bought from the fleemarket full of scratches (Vinylstudio's de-clicking feature is outstanding)
 

35 minutes ago, Lincoln Tyke said:

by reducing Hi-Fi boxes

Agree, the Majik and Selekt DSM are great in this respect. Rather than going active with lots of amps I would probably rather go the Exakt route to keep the box count low.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JensA said:

John,
you should give it a try!  I am rather impatient and would never spend hours with digitising a single record, but with Songcorder+Vinylstudio (ttl cost < 100 €) it's no pain anymore and  almost fun, even with totally worn out vinyl records bought from the fleemarket full of scratches (Vinylstudio's de-clicking feature is outstanding)
 

Agree, the Majik and Selekt DSM are great in this respect. Rather than going active with lots of amps I would probably rather go the Exakt route to keep the box count low.

I posted an earlier thread about replacing my old LK85's and reducing boxes and one idea was the amp cartridges and keep running the Katans active. My dealer hadn't had anybody ask this question so was a bit puzzled. After talking to Linn they confirmed with two cartridges and upgraded power supply you can set Konfig to use the Exact Engine in the SDSM to run active Katans, so no cards required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't bought a CD for a few years.
I buy flac downloads (hi-res where possible).
Don't even own a CD or DVD player anymore.

Still buy vinyl though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I may be in a dwindling category of old fogeys here, but I find myself these days increasingly chasing on Discogs older vinyl versions of albums / songs that I love but currently only have on CD. Admittedly I have a fairly low-level CD player, however I'm increasingly finding that when I get hold of and listen to the vinyl version (albeit they are not generally at a "bargain price") I invariably find myself somewhere between "oh, that's noticeably more musical" and "bloody hell, just WOW"!!!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In terms of vinyl, i've had to replace some of my very very old vinyl with new copies, most of the time they don't sound as good as the copies they replaced. In terms of CD's i've not got any records where I've got both  a CD and vinyl copy but it would be interesting to compare the two

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Lincoln Tyke said:

I posted an earlier thread about replacing my old LK85's and reducing boxes and one idea was the amp cartridges and keep running the Katans active. My dealer hadn't had anybody ask this question so was a bit puzzled. After talking to Linn they confirmed with two cartridges and upgraded power supply you can set Konfig to use the Exact Engine in the SDSM to run active Katans, so no cards required.

Wow! That's news to me that you need to upgrade the power supply to add amp modules. 

And let's be totally honest everybody. The only entity benefiting financially from physical sales is a record company and the accompanying hangers on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

Wow! That's news to me that you need to upgrade the power supply to add amp modules. 

And let's be totally honest everybody. The only entity benefiting financially from physical sales is a record company and the accompanying hangers on. 

Power supply upgrade was a bit of a shocker to me, think it's on the Linn pricelist but its in small print. Line cartridges doesn't require upgraded power supply but power amps do. Not sure if its because I'm having two amp cartridges I need the upgrade, if its only one amp cartridge might not be needed.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...