Melco Server - is it worthwhile?

Dear Linnies,

as the thread title says - do You have any experience compared to a NAS in sound quality?

Due to my network circumstances here and by given a huge recommendation from a dealer (saying Qobuz or Tidal is even better in sound quality through a Melco) I'm thinking of testing a Melco server in my setup. Looking at the prices a N100 or a N1A/2EX-H60 would be of interest, connected directly to my KEDSM.

Any experience with those?

Thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, weinconsi said:

Dear Linnies,

as the thread title says - do You have any experience compared to a NAS in sound quality?

Due to my network circumstances here and by given a huge recommendation from a dealer (saying Qobuz or Tidal is even better in sound quality through a Melco) I'm thinking of testing a Melco server in my setup. Looking at the prices a N100 or a N1A/2EX-H60 would be of interest, connected directly to my KEDSM.

Any experience with those?

Thanks for sharing.

Thinking the same thing.

Posted (edited)

Many clients of my dealer are fond of Melco, and my personal impression in the shop had been positive. So I decided to take one home, and test it in my system. I expected an improvement, in particular as my music server runs on the desktop in my study, one floor down. Even worse, it is connected via PowerNet devices. Long story short, I was not convinced.

Playing music from my PC via the daisy chained Melco - to test its 'network cleansing' - did not yield any audible improvement. The Melco was next to the DSM. Then I compared the 'same' album directly from the Melco's NAS vs my PC. The PC sounded more musical, much to my surprise. I was embarassed, checked, and realized the reason: The Melco file was CD quality, the file on my PC was a higher res.

But the conclusion is, that the improvements (if any) are small enough, that a better recording on the PC via PowerNet can outperform the Melco with a cable directly into the DS. For 3k-ish € I'd expect more. My verdict was, that it's more tempting to invest in better software (higher res files, or good LPs), than in a Melco.

But others may have other conclusions, or a more suitable environment?

Edited by TooManyCatweazles
  • Upvote 1

My Melco M1 died after less than four years of careful and infrequent use.  My Zoneripper, though annoyingly temperamental (it won’t rip Warner CDs without creating white noise) is otherwise going strong after a decade.  However better the Melco may have been from a sound quality perspective (marginal at best) there’s no way I could recommend it based upon my own sorry experience.

• Upvote 2

Have Melco and been very pleased and was an improvement on a NAS

Posted (edited)

I found the N100 to be a big improvement in sound quality, easy to use with plenty of capacity and combined with the S100 and LPS for each my ultimate source for NAS or streaming from Qobuz. 

also ADOT OPTICAL FIBRE UPGRADE KIT which works well with fibre input on S100

Edited by Scotsman

Posted (edited)

I compared a Melco with my Mac mini. My preference remains the Mac mini. I could not hear any sound quality advantage from the Melco and I preferred the software I could run on the Mac. However always worth doing the comparison yourself especially as I use my Mac mini for streaming locally stored files rather than Qobuz or Tidal. I will probably try Apple Music (HiRes) when this becomes available. 

Mac mini is 2012 model with Thunderbolt Attached Storage running JRiver Media Server (part of JRiver MC 27). 

Edited by Nestor Turton
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a N10 and a S100 switch. The S100 made a bigger impact than the N10. In fact, Melco recommends going from the switch to the streamer instead of from the N10 (or other Melco servers) to the streamer. 

Chris 

I have a Melco N1A/2 along with their D100.

1. CDs ripped from D100 directly into N1A/2
  2. Hi-Res copied directly to N1A/2 over network
  3. SACDs ripped using Sony PS3 method - extracted to DSD - copied to N1A/2 over network
  4. CAT7 Ethernet from switch to Ethernet port on N1A/2 for comms and streaming
  5. Chord Epic Ethernet from N1A/2 "player" port to Ethernet in on Linn SDSM Katalyst

Solution works great - very happy with sound of the bit of kit. I like dedicated hardware solutions like the Melco and so far so good with quality and reliability. Bought from Linn dealer with SDSM as a package. 

Thanks to all,

seems that this is a traditional "try it in your setup" topic:D which is in my prospective needless to say in regards to the pricing.

I will do so and will test the N100 in my setup. I will come back with my impressions as soon I tested it.

Christian

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, weinconsi said:

Thanks to all,

seems that this is a traditional "try it in your setup" topic:D which is in my prospective needless to say in regards to the pricing.

I will do so and will test the N100 in my setup. I will come back with my impressions as soon I tested it.

Christian

I agree. As there is no clear consensus, you really have no choice but to try it at home, in your system. Any self respecting dealer, would lend you a demo unit to try. If you don’t hear an improvement, you could always put that money towards a NGKSHub.

’troll

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1