Sound Q loses clarity when amp volume cranked - am struggling to understand

3 hours ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

Thanks for the heads up but I’ve never found the Brio running to this sort of temperature, irrespective of what level I’m listening at.

Where are you at now that you have had a number of replies - confused or with a clear plan?

From your response on the clap test I would still try getting some extra soft furnishings in there - rugs, quilts, blankets, cushions - easy to do to see if it makes a difference.

10 hours ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

Loud hand clap - yes. Hadn’t done this before you suggestion, but there is a definite “ringing”; far more so than in the adjacent dining room where it’s almost not existent (smaller room, more furniture but same height and carpet, if that’s relevant).

That would lead me to think it’s the room that’s the issue.  I used to have a lot of ringing after a loud clap, I found it impossible to get good sound at higher volumes.  Damping the room and breaking up the shape, by basically putting more furniture in, really did the trick.  We’re decorating at the moment and I’ve had to move a couple of sofas and tall units into another room, it’s back to sounding crap when the volume goes up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lostwin said:

Where are you at now that you have had a number of replies - confused or with a clear plan?

From your response on the clap test I would still try getting some extra soft furnishings in there - rugs, quilts, blankets, cushions - easy to do to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

Where I am at the moment is thinking that it may be room related and although there is no chance on earth that I would be ever be allowed to fix or install any acoustic panels, the idea to temporarily put additional soft furnishings is really helpful. A couple of duvets draped over the armchairs, etc, might just help me to confirm one way or the other.

If nothing else, it will stop me - at least temporality - from rushing out and buying any new kit.

12 hours ago, Cool Dude Ted said:

thank you for taking the time to pen such a detailed reply. Much appreciated.

I must confess that I’ve read your comments several times - not that what you’ve said isn’t clear (far from it) - more a case of me struggling to understand how amplifiers actually work! I’ve already cross referenced your comments to something else I found on-line and, slowly, I think I’m starting to understand.

Think of it like this. you feed mains power in which is converted to Direct Current which is used to charge some big capacitors. Lets say the capacitors can output 20 volts, about what you would expect for a 50watt amplifier. In simple terms this means the amplifier in question output 2.5 amps into an 8 John speaker. IE watts = volts x current.

If you have a 4ohm speaker, you will need to output 5 amps, if it dips to 2 ohms as might be possible, it needs to output 10 amps. This is why many enthusiasts will be more concerned with current output, rather than wattage.

So big capacitors work, but what happens if you are playing demeaning music, quite loud into difficult speakers? You drawer a lot of current, reserves in the capacitors drop and if you fail to keep them topped up the current capability drops.

Suddenly your 50 watt amplifier that delivers 5 amps into 4 ohms finds under ideal conditions is struggling and current is down, the amplifier is now delivering 10 or 20 watts and is failing to deliver what is expected. In some systems, this sort of thing happens a lot.

Years ago, Touraj Moghaddem of Roksan fame described an amplifier as a device to turn mains electricity on and off in time with the music. Not the worst description I have heard.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MGTOW said:

2.5 amps into an 8 John speaker. 

That is a great typo. Is it a speaker that has been previously owned by 8 Johns?  :minikev:

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Haha 1

Several interesting typos, 'demeaning music' for example. Cant find any way to edit once posted, am I missing something?

Otherwise just trying to explain that hifi often fails to behave or react in the way that you expect, trying to work out why can be helpful in understanding why some things work and some do not or can just be plain confusing All part of the fun, eh.

Edit. Found the Edit button. .:doh:

Edited by MGTOW
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, MGTOW said:

Several interesting typos, 'demeaning music' for example. Cant find any way to edit once posted, am I missing something?

Otherwise just trying to explain that hifi often fails to behave or react in the way that you expect, trying to work out why can be helpful in understanding why some things work and some do not or can just be plain confusing All part of the fun, eh.

Edit. Found the Edit button. .:doh:

Well, you gave me a laugh in these troubled times, so I thank you for that.

• Like 1