I am confused.  Are people buying via their US dealers and Linn is shipping directly to them instead of the units going first to the dealers?  Or are they bypassing the US dealers and buying in Europe :D?

29 minutes ago, glevethan said:

I am confused.  Are people buying via their US dealers and Linn is shipping directly to them instead of the units going first to the dealers?  Or are they bypassing the US dealers and buying in Europe :D?

No, my dealer came with it in the trunk of his car. It was shipped from Linn to Definitive Audio in Bellevue, WA.

My dealer (and good friend) documented it all and we are waiting to hear from Linn. I expect (well, demand) a new one. In the meantime, I get to listen to this one. My Katalyst DSM was already sold so they couldn’t take the new one away.

Michael

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Michael Faoro said:

In WA state, USA.

I assume US customs but don’t really know. There wasnt a card or anything inside the box like you see in luggage searched at the airport. 

Was marked ‘too dense to X-ray’ on the side.

There are only about 20 in customer’s hands in the US. I wonder how many have this problem as I’m betting they all hit the mail around the same time.

Michael

Mine was held up at US Customs at Memphis, TN for over a week. It arrived at the dealer today. It looks like the Linn stickers are intact. Will pick it up tomorrow.

• Like 1

FedEx customs clearance in Nashville is a total horror story.  Linn shipments get held up there all the time while they call us for explanations that should already be covered by the customs paperwork Linn includes.  But they get very creative, and it is also quite random with some things coming through just fine and other shipments of the same items held for an explanation.  Creative questions?  "What kind of bearing is the Karousel?"  This took days as they sent a bearing checklist that had no bearings that fit the description.  Turned out they forgot to send the second page on which it still ended up being "Spindle Bearing - other".  "The Karousel says it is a kit, what else is in there?"  "What is felt made out of?" (I kid you not.)  It's made of felt, which is from wool.  "Where's the wool from?"  Scotland!  "Where is the black ash from on this speaker?"  It is only a veneer over mdf and it is from the EU.  I could go on but you get the idea.  Just ludicrous really.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I bought an Exotik some years ago through eBay (from Europe to Australia), just after they started doing international shipping through their own broker instead of letting sellers organise shipping with the buyer. When it turned up the packaging was a real mess. It looked like it had been very poor to start with (wasn't the original box) and it had clearly been opened and resealed. Inside, the sleeve of the Exotik case was held on by a single screw loosely put in and the other three screws were neatly placed inside the bubble wrap. There was a dent in the back corner of the sleeve and the backplate of the Exotik. Clearly, customs had opened it up to inspect it undone the screws and dropped it onto one corner, the main body slipping in the sleeve and also hitting whatever surface they were using. Presumably the customs person had thought, oh crap and quickly wrapped it back up, not even bothering to put the screws back in in case anyone saw them.

My problem was I had zero come back due to the dreadful eBay international shipping system. The only thing I could do was contact the selling and demand a return (the only option with that system). He of course was not helpful and (reasonably) denied any responsibility. Foolishly, I felt a bad for him and as it wasn't visible from the front and did not affect anything kept it. It totally hurt me when I was selling it on though.

I will never use that eBay broker system again (haven't bought Linn through eBay since anyway) and if they are still using it, I would advise others not to as well.....

As a tangential comment here directly to Linn. No doubt this knob, and whatever bearings it has, doesn't have to run high rpm, or under heavy load, but does this indicate a failure point and the need for a more robust mechanism? (For something that may never be used by many owners)

2 hours ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

As a tangential comment here directly to Linn. No doubt this knob, and whatever bearings it has, doesn't have to run high rpm, or under heavy load, but does this indicate a failure point and the need for a more robust mechanism? (For something that may never be used by many owners)

Hmmm, a bit unreasonable considering it had been incorrectly repacked and whatever damage occurred, was during subsequent transit. 

‘troll

On 11/06/2021 at 01:22, Michael Faoro said:

Anyone have an idea why Roon would downsample DSD256 to 128?

I’ve reported it to Linn helpline a couple of weeks ago : they told me back they were in contact with Roon to resolve the issue.

DXD is also downsampled with Roon.

My guess is Roon has the signature of the previous DSM witch was DSD128 max (and you can notice it is still the previous klimax case icon too)

and feel sorry for you with the dial !

Edited by frd
6 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

Hmmm, a bit unreasonable considering it had been incorrectly repacked and whatever damage occurred, was during subsequent transit. 

‘troll

Simply an observation. These things will be around for the next few decades. There will be a revision at some time too, so maybe some good can come from this.