Have you been “Disappointed “

2 minutes ago, bigrod said:

New vinyl is a minefield specially at the price it is nowadays.. The main reason that I have kept most of my early collection together .. I have vinyl recorded more than 50 years ago and it sounds more dynamic than some of the MFSL I purchased in the last couple of years

MFSL

May Find Sonics Lacking 

I have lots of records I bought when they were published not all first pressing not really bothered about that but they do sound better than a lot of these so called remasters. I don't buy remasters unless someone recommends it being a good one just not worth paying & taking a chance.

I brought a couple of Alan Parsons Project on MFSL and they weren’t much better than the originals I have .. Although to be said the originals are beautifully mastered and pressed and would take some bettering ..

• Like 1

I can't say I've ever been disappointed for long. I build my own stuff, so if anything doesn't sound as good as I want I take it out and use something else. 

I'm much less vulnerable to the gamble of buying an expensive unit and then finding it's not what i wanted. I'm working at component level most of the time. 

The Counterpoint DAC with plug in converters - not the same as the Pink Triangle Dacapo plug in filters which worked well.
Huge anticipation for the Counterpoint DAC thanks to a fawning Alvin Gold review in Audiophile  - but it sounded much worse that my £199 Marantz.
Lesson learnt.

The biggest disappointment was after the return to vinyl in the early noughties after a lapse of 15 years.
Noel Keywood and Davey Price of Hi fi World - the torch bearers of the LP -   CDs were crap & it had to LP for good sounds.
They put it about that belt drive is inadequate for rock & that it has to be an idler or DD.
They have a point.

Edited by Von Krolock

When I compared my Linn LP12 with Cirkus, Lingo 2, Ittok LVIII, Troika, EAR834p against my EMT930 with Denon 103 and then later with EMT TSD15 SPH.

The biggest disappointment was in all the journalists that had backed up Linn's claims of Source First, GIGO with vinyl systems in the 1980's along with repeated recommendations to buy an LP12. Plus the dealer that I bought my LP12 from stating unequivocally that it was "The Best Turntable In The World". As well as a Linn Sales Manager telling me that engineering in the LP12 was better than in all of their competitors.

The EMT made the Linn sound like a midrange turntable. Which makes sense. Because when you look under the bonnets, the LP12 looks like a  midrange piece of engineering whilst the EMT looks like an industrial piece of full on engineering.

It's disappointing when you realise that you've had the wool pulled over your eyes (ears?) and fallen for hype for so many years, hook, line and sinker.

As Mark Twain said "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lindsayt said:

When I compared my Linn LP12 with Cirkus, Lingo 2, Ittok LVIII, Troika, EAR834p against my EMT930 with Denon 103 and then later with EMT TSD15 SPH.

The biggest disappointment was in all the journalists that had backed up Linn's claims of Source First, GIGO with vinyl systems in the 1980's along with repeated recommendations to buy an LP12. Plus the dealer that I bought my LP12 from stating unequivocally that it was "The Best Turntable In The World". As well as a Linn Sales Manager telling me that engineering in the LP12 was better than in all of their competitors.

The EMT made the Linn sound like a midrange turntable. Which makes sense. Because when you look under the bonnets, the LP12 looks like a  midrange piece of engineering whilst the EMT looks like an industrial piece of full on engineering.

It's disappointing when you realise that you've had the wool pulled over your eyes (ears?) and fallen for hype for so many years, hook, line and sinker.

As Mark Twain said "It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled."

Well the EMT was made for industrial use in broadcast studios . A linn would have lasted about a week in that sort of environment.

Although I did run a LP12 for 30 years with several upgrades and very nice cartridges it was time for a change with the new house ..

The Basis Signature I have now is in a different league to the Linn and I doubt I could be persuaded to go back to the fruit box no matter how much it was upgraded . And £20,000 + for a linn now is just bonkers ..they even have to throw in a bottle of whiskey to sweeten the deal ..

Q Acoustics Concept 20s. Saw a pair on EBay, but in the wrong category, so I thought I’d get them cheap. I think I paid £160 in the end, plus the guy delivered them. Then got the stands, ex dem, from my local dealer. Set it up and.......not blown away. I was replacing some Talisman 2s, which I hadn’t realised were so much to my taste. I came to like the 20s, but still itched,  so bought a pair of Dynaudio Emit M20s on the Wam, having heard some similar sized Dyns in a studio, sometime in the 90s. Again......not blown away.

I agree that speakers should be demoed at home! Still itching, but the problem with buying used is that a demo usually isn’t possible....🙁