WTD: P mount cartridge

I have bought a technics sl7 which has been serviced and is now working well. My only issue with it is I am finding the cartridge (P22) a bit harsh on the treble. Does anyone have a p-mount cartridge they aren't using that has a smoother sound? For reference I particularly like the sound of Nagaoka carts

Agreed , the p22 is a bit harsh. Look for Shure M99e for a smoother delivery. Annoyingly, I sold my spare recently.  @Speedracer, do you still have the one I sold you a couple of years back?

For me, the best p-mount cartridges are the ADC psx range ... the 10, 20, 30 and 40. They’re also branded up as SER I,II,III and IV.

I listen to to these a lot more than I listen to my EPC-310mc. 

Shame you’re not closer Phil. I could bring a few over to have a play and have a listen to the the Buchardts at the same time, as they’ve rather piqued my interest of late. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, I am keeping my eyes peeled.  Perhaps unsurprisingly, they don't seem very widely available.  Lots of carts without the stylus but then only very cheap aftermarket styli.  

You'd be very welcome to pop round for  a listen to the A500 if you are ever down this way - they are great things.

Thanks, I’ll bear that in mind.

It’s a shame there aren’t more p Mount options available new. I did give the Grado gold a whirl. Huge sound, but it was pretty rough and rather agricultural up top - not for me.

Have you tried the AT85ep Phil? It’s surprisingly good for the money. 

Off topic I know, but how do the Buchardts perform at low volume? With a young family I listen pretty quietly a lot of the time. 

Edited by lordmortlock

Super Wammer

Sorry only just seen this Jake, but sorry I no longer have it.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2021 at 06:02, lordmortlock said:

Agreed , the p22 is a bit harsh. Look for Shure M99e for a smoother delivery. Annoyingly, I sold my spare recently.  @Speedracer, do you still have the one I sold you a couple of years back?

For me, the best p-mount cartridges are the ADC psx range ... the 10, 20, 30 and 40. They’re also branded up as SER I,II,III and IV.

I listen to to these a lot more than I listen to my EPC-310mc. 

Shame you’re not closer Phil. I could bring a few over to have a play and have a listen to the the Buchardts at the same time, as they’ve rather piqued my interest of late. 

Having done a lot of research, I sourced a lightly used ADC ser III on eBay from the US last year, for which I paid £63 (+ vat and import charges). I remember there was also a brand new SER  IV stylus for sale on there for a while, again in the USA. I hardly ever play vinyl, otherwise may have been tempted. I'm pleased with the sound of the SER III though.

20 minutes ago, Gizza said:

Having done a lot of research, I sourced a lightly used ADC ser III on eBay from the US last year, for which I paid £63 (+ vat and import charges). I remember there was also a brand new SER  IV stylus for sale on there for a while, again in the USA. I hardly ever play vinyl, otherwise may have been tempted. I'm pleased with the sound of the SER III though.

One good thing about the ADC is that the body is identical on all models, and they pop up relatively regularly second hand. Look for the Pfanstiehl 116Dxx after market models, as they are genuine ADC styli.

Model numbers here.

https://www.thevoiceofmusic.com/catalog/part_detail.asp?PNumberBase=116

Edited by lordmortlock
Added info
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, lordmortlock said:

The good thing about the ADC is that the body is identical on all models, and they pop up relatively regularly second hand. Look for the Pfanstiehl 116Dxx after market models, as they are genuine ADC styli. 

Thanks for the Pfanstiehl info 👍.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, lordmortlock said:

Thanks, I’ll bear that in mind.

It’s a shame there aren’t more p Mount options available new. I did give the Grado gold a whirl. Huge sound, but it was pretty rough and rather agricultural up top - not for me.

Have you tried the AT85ep Phil? It’s surprisingly good for the money. 

Off topic I know, but how do the Buchardts perform at low volume? With a young family I listen pretty quietly a lot of the time. 

I think I might give the Audio Technica a try, it is very affordable and seems to be pretty well regarded. I have never got on with Grado carts TBH.

The Buchardts are outstanding at low volumes.  In basic terms they have a loudness button built in - they call it low level enhancement - which automatically boosts the bass and treble when listening at low levels.  They have also introduced a new master tuning which apparently I proves further on this but I haven't tried it yet - I'll report back when I do.

Edited by MarginWalker
  • Like 1