Wanted - High(ish) End Valve Power Amp

There was a magical synergy between my old Viva 300p integrated amp and Phil TheCount's Snell A3.

Only 18wpc or so via paired 300B, but it did the biz. Phil bought it off me and the last I heard it was seeing off all comers.

26 minutes ago, JANDL100 said:

There was a magical synergy between my old Viva 300p integrated amp and Phil TheCount's Snell A3.

Only 18wpc or so via paired 300B, but it did the biz. Phil bought it off me and the last I heard it was seeing off all comers.

There was indeed! Remember that day well. 

1 hour ago, montesquieu said:

Just like this one (mine):

C9q8PeL.jpg

Should have no trouble with the Snells (A or C? but doesn't really matter). Easily the most refined KT88 amp I've heard - I use KT90s in mine, they sound like big EL34s which suits me perfectly.

wowsers. not seen one of those before. is there enough space between the cage and the handles for your fingers when lifting it?

4 hours ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

wowsers. not seen one of those before. is there enough space between the cage and the handles for your fingers when lifting it?

Just about. Depends how thick your fingers are. You do need the handles though it's seriously heavy (7 transformers last time I counted).

2 hours ago, GLB said:

I see that Allnic is up for sale again - I investigated that amp earlier this year when in the market for a new power amp. I'm quite an Allnic fan, I have the Allnic HA5000 head amp, H7000V phono stage and one of their new cartridges, the Allnic Rose.

But I'm not really a fan of the KT120 or the KT150 developed from it - I've heard quite a few KT120 amps (and even owned a couple) and never heard one that sounded at its best with those tubes compared to KT88 or KT90 equivalents - probably fine with rock but not with more subtle sorts of music. I'm not quite so familiar with KT150s but they are - what can you say - butt ugly (fnar fnar).

Other people may disagree on this of course. Anyway since the Allnic amp was designed around the KT120/KT150, I didn't take it the length of an audition so I may be completely wrong about it. I'm not sure it has any particularly special characteristics though - I could see no USP in the design that would change my mind about it.

I did read somewhere that the KT120 is not as linear as KT88 or KT120 but thats not something I'm qualified to pronounce on. Anyway I get 100w from the Radford STA100 and extra power is simply not required in my application.

Edited by montesquieu
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, lostwin said:

Yes, these potentially would be of real interest. I hope to hear a Radford in the system later today in a mini bake off so it should start to give me an idea if I like the character.

Would you send me a PM with further details or is it easier if I gave you a call in the week?

PM (about to be) sent :)

5 hours ago, audio_PHIL_e said:

I think they were having a sick joke when Radford designed the handles for the STA100, my fingers are perfectly in the danger zone where they'll fit but just tightly enough so that I nearly break them when moving the amp around - these days I remove the cage first :D

7 hours ago, JANDL100 said:

Yes, I had picked up on that from an old thread and it has stuck in my mind. Not many of these amps around but definitely interested if someone has one they my want to move on.

Lots of great responses in the thread and by PM. I have been hosting a little bake off for local Wammers today - so good to be able to do this again - so not had a chance to respond to all. Plenty of options to think about over the next few days even though the John Wood made a pretty good account of itself today.