How to add surround to my existing 2.0 Exakt system.

13 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

I have been watching a bit of Netflix movies in 2.0, lately, and it is fine, especially for non-action movies

I agree, setting up an Exakt surround system is an investment, and only worth it if you watch a lot of movies or 5.1 surround music

In addition, our system is located in the living room and 6 or even 8 speakers are simply out of the question for "optical reasons".
I simply find it very pleasant when the system doesn't dominate the whole room, which we are currently doing very well:

Besides the Thorens, there is actually only one "box" (Linn Majik DSM), the 140 speakers and an "invisible" 3.5m screen diagonal  made possible without a canvas on the white wall by a projector hidden in the wall unit on the opposite side of the room.

• Like 2

The thing is, which is already been pointed out, at least sort of. I’m not looking for the full on/all out exakt solutions, best way forward in that case would be exaktbox-I for the rears in exakt, or as surround amp for any additional speakers and forgetting about exakt.

For now I just want the 2 rears and maybe a matching center if it will fit my new cabinet. For the rears I’m looking for early Kan’s or tuKan’s because they match the Keltiks visually and most likely from a sound perspective with the matching tweeters without breaking the bank immediately. I’m not sure if I need a Sub at the moment. My thought would be to use an older Yamaha receiver for the surround computing, feeding the rears and controlling the Keltiks via the ASH and AEBi. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

The thing is, which is already been pointed out, at least sort of. I’m not looking for the full on/all out exakt solutions, best way forward in that case would be exaktbox-I for the rears in exakt, or as surround amp for any additional speakers and forgetting about exakt.

For now I just want the 2 rears and maybe a matching center if it will fit my new cabinet. For the rears I’m looking for early Kan’s or tuKan’s because they match the Keltiks visually and most likely from a sound perspective with the matching tweeters without breaking the bank immediately. I’m not sure if I need a Sub at the moment. My thought would be to use an older Yamaha receiver for the surround computing, feeding the rears and controlling the Keltiks via the ASH and AEBi. 

Sounds like a good solution.

‘I don’t think you need a subwoofer, as you already have Keltiks, and they will easily handle the low frequencies for the whole system. 

The biggest issue when I had Exakt Akubariks and non-Exakt surround speakers, was to get the timing of the front and rear speakers synchronized. When I went to an all Exakt system everything was synchronized perfectly.

5 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

My thought would be to use an older Yamaha receiver for the surround computing

Just make sure that the Yamaha has "pre out's" for the front speakers. The lack of same makes many older or entry level AVR unsuitable for your purpose.

7 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

The biggest issue when I had Exakt Akubariks and non-Exakt surround speakers, was to get the timing of the front and rear speakers synchronized. When I went to an all Exakt system everything was synchronized perfectly.

It's been a while since I did the setup but I don't recall any problems with the Marantz (otherwise I would still remember:P), I simply played around with the delay until the sound matched.

• Like 1

https://www.vizio.com/en/sound-bar/v-series/V51-H6

I know it seems insane, but for the cost of a new pair of silvers, for video you'll be more than happy. They do an Atmos one too for a few more pennies. 

Edited by Jail4CEOs2

4 minutes ago, Jail4CEOs2 said:

https://www.vizio.com/en/sound-bar/v-series/V51-H6

I know it seems insane, but for the cost of a new pair of silvers, for video you'll be more than happy. 

At the moment I’m using the Keltiks for 2.0 duties. Admittedly more then the cost of a pair of silvers. 🤪

5 minutes ago, Pennypacker said:

At the moment I’m using the Keltiks for 2.0 duties. Admittedly more then the cost of a pair of silvers. 🤪

As I edited..they do an Atmos package too, for $999! Cost of silvers in a Keltik aktiv system!

Edited by Jail4CEOs2

3 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

No, this is definitely not the case.

‘The HDMI cable can easily carry a 4K/8K video signal as well as full frequency 24 bit music at the same time

Provided it’s a certified ultra high speed cable. I replaced my old non-certified one recently as the TV and KDSM were struggling to remain stable. Worked a treat.

• Like 1

If going non-Linn surround pay attention to the room sizes allowed.

Linn room computing adds delays to the audio signal and this adds perceived distance to the speakers for the AV-Recieved setup.

SO adds about 6m if you use unity gain to your Linn System.

Exakt and SO is more like 16m.

My modest Yamaha RX-V781 (~£500) works with Linn Exakt driving L+R speakers quite well… It thinks it is 20m to my front speakers, max allowed 24m…

Power amping the centre with Majik amps was a big lift. Passive bi-amp. Modest AV-Receivers are generally lacking in the amplification & power supply departments. 

9 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

No, this is definitely not the case.

‘The HDMI cable can easily carry a 4K/8K video signal as well as full frequency 24 bit music at the same time

I have read and heard that in some cases HDMI is limited as carrying video plus up to eight channels of sound is a bit much for the cable. Therefore, the sound is limited to 16/44. It has been reported to me by someone here that SPDIF sounds better than HDMI. I'm not saying in all cases, but in some. I don't have that much interest in the topic as I don't use HDMI for audio. But I can look into it further in order to clear up any confusion.

3 hours ago, akamatsu said:

I have read and heard that in some cases HDMI is limited as carrying video plus up to eight channels of sound is a bit much for the cable. Therefore, the sound is limited to 16/44. It has been reported to me by someone here that SPDIF sounds better than HDMI. I'm not saying in all cases, but in some. I don't have that much interest in the topic as I don't use HDMI for audio. But I can look into it further in order to clear up any confusion.

I think your information is out of date, and probably refers to the original HDMI 1.X cables, not the newer HDMI 2.X Cables which can carry a far greater bandwidth, up to 32 audio channels and stream at 18.4 Mbps. Compare this to streaming a 2 channel CD FLAC recording of 16 bit/44.1 KHz at 1.4 Mbps

https://www.electronics-notes.com/articles/audio-video/hdmi/hdmi-versions.php

The last picture is a screen shot from my OPPO 203, streaming 5.1 DVD-Audio music at 24 bit/192 KHz at a bit rate of 12.3 Mbps through my HDMI 2.1 cable to my Akurate Hub.

The middle picture is a screen shot of 5.1 streaming through my OPPO of an SACD music at 24 bit/88 KHz with a bit rate of 16.9 Mbps, through the HDMI 2.1 cable

The first screen shot is streaming a BluRay movie in 5.1 through my OPPO to the Akurate Hub at 24 bit/96 KHz at 18.4 Mbps, through the HDMI 2.1 cable

92487E10-C366-41AE-A20F-6280D5EFE1A1.jpeg

F61A4AD5-6B72-49BD-8B8F-8052A2FB70FA.jpeg

F3AD86F6-53E2-4C37-929A-582A82805E78.jpeg

Edited by Paulssurround

9 hours ago, 36 hours said:

Provided it’s a certified ultra high speed cable. I replaced my old non-certified one recently as the TV and KDSM were struggling to remain stable. Worked a treat.

Yes, absolutely my experience as well.

‘I traded out my old HDMI cables from 1.3 to 1.4, to 2.0 to 2.1 over time, and the picture and sound quality improvement was significant with each step

I found a good article that tests HDMI vs. SPDIF. I'll post it elsewhere, as not to hijack this thread.

• Like 1