Linn Passive Loudspeaker Rankings

What do you think are the best sounding Linn passive loudspeakers ever made? No handicapping for how they sounded compared to what was available at the time. How would they all rank if you had perfectly working pair today and hooked them all up now to an LP12 with Klimax solos in a shootout.  I would love to see how this group of collective Linn veterans view the hierarchy of the Linn Passive Loudspeakers. Putting them in tiers is welcome too. 

242, Kaber, Kan I

„Best sounding“ depends always on personal taste, room etc. but they are very musical with Solos.

My top choice, I would choose passive Akubariks,  and next would be passive Akudoriks for the newer generation speakers

I have the privilege of hearing a pair of passive 242’s driven by Solos at my friend’s place all the time, and they are exceptional with Solos.

‘If I were to choose other legacy Linn speakers, I would choose 212’s and 350’s, if this  thread allows self powered servo bass drivers

2 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

if this  thread allows self powered servo bass drivers

… than I add Komris 😜

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

… than I add Komris 😜

Yes, that would be a fantastic choice, and I nominate your Linn Komris system. 😊👍🏻

• Like 1

242, Kaber, Kan I
„Best sounding“ depends always on personal taste, room etc. but they are very musical with Solos.

Sent you a message

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

Never heard them but i specifically curious about the Komri's. The owners of these, especially the ones with solos or twins, seem very happy with them. I've heard statements: 'best speakers of Linn hands-down', 'I would choose Komri's over 350's any time' etc. i am very intriqued, would love to have a chance to listen to Komri's....

• Like 1

Komris vs. 350P: no comparison. Komri is by far the clear winner.

Not heard Integrated Organik Exakt 350 vs. Komri with Organik Exakt Box and 8 Solos yet. But the price is really different and with the Komri option you have 10 boxes and a lot of cables…

• Like 2

@Ben Webster Thanks! You sound like the other Komri owners ;-) so i am starting to believe it! 

Very interesting. So they're 5-way but you drive them as 4 way right? (ex the super tweeter). I see you have 4 solos, so you bi amped them? How do you get to 10 boxes in an Exakt/Activ setup? (8 solos/4 twins with 1 Exaktbox 10 or 2 Exaktboxes 6 I am assuming?).

In any case, I am very interested in this setup and something to pursue in the near future when funds are available.

@frans5508: yes, I’m biased.

Komris have two active bass chassis. I bi-amped the 4K: one Solo for the upper bass and one for the 3K.

10 Boxes: 8 Solos and 2 Exakt boxes (I’m not a Exakt guy, so maybe I’m wrong).

Keep in mind that Komris are at least 14 years old and quite huge. 

Edited by Ben Webster

1 minute ago, Ben Webster said:

yes, I’m biased.

Ain't we all and that's partly what makes this hobby interesting, there is not a single truth! 

1 minute ago, Ben Webster said:

Komris have two active bass chassis. I bi-amped the 4K: one Solo for the upper bass and one for the 3K.

Got it.

2 minutes ago, Ben Webster said:

Keep in mind that Komris are at least 14 years old and quite huge. 

yes noted.

Thanks!

I’ve owned four pairs of Linn passive ‘speakers since the mid-‘eighties:-

Sara - good

Kaber - better

Espek - betterer

Akubarik - bestest

Kaber & Espek I used aktiv as well as passive, at different times.

Mick

• Like 3

I'm waiting for someone to recommend the Keltik. They are certainly the best Linn speaker I have listened to in my system. But I've only heard the Katan, Keilidh, and Ninka to compare them to.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SnapperMike said:

I'm waiting for someone to recommend the Keltik. They are certainly the best Linn speaker I have listened to in my system. But I've only heard the Katan, Keilidh, and Ninka to compare them to.

Actually good point. Keltiks were the main reason for me looking into Linn and later buy myself my first Linn setup! A friend of mine had Keltiks and i was blown away, never heard music like that before....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SnapperMike said:

They're not passive speakers!

• Upvote 1