Linn Passive Loudspeaker Rankings

34 minutes ago, formann said:

No suggestions for Artikulate or Klimax 350p?

No

• Upvote 2

Just my opinion from my experiences:

- Most musical passive floorstander setup:

Kairn/klout/kabers

- Easiest setup:

Majik-I / keilidhs

- Fastest (speed wise) bookshelf setup:

Kairn/klout/Kan I (lacks some bass but much faster than the Kan II)

- Most satisfying bookshelf setup:

Kairn / Klout / Kan II

The next project is to find what can make the 242’s sound good just passive. The majority seems to think that it’s either solos or tundras. I plan to connect a Klout to them sometime this month to see how that will sound.

- The katans are great speakers but id take the Kan I or II’s anyday over the katans.

- The tukans can be found cheap today and sound surprisingly good with a kairn / Klout but i’d still choose the Kans.

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, zee9 said:

Just my opinion from my experiences:

- Most musical passive floorstander setup:

Kairn/klout/kabers

- Easiest setup:

Majik-I / keilidhs

- Fastest (speed wise) bookshelf setup:

Kairn/klout/Kan I (lacks some bass but much faster than the Kan II)

- Most satisfying bookshelf setup:

Kairn / Klout / Kan II

The next project is to find what can make the 242’s sound good just passive. The majority seems to think that it’s either solos or tundras. I plan to connect a Klout to them sometime this month to see how that will sound.

- The katans are great speakers but id take the Kan I or II’s anyday over the katans.

- The tukans can be found cheap today and sound surprisingly good with a kairn / Klout but i’d still choose the Kans.

If one pair of solos won’t give satisfactory results you can always ad the other 4 pair with the klimax exaktboxes 🤪

• Haha 1

If one pair of solos won’t give satisfactory results you can always ad the other 4 pair with the klimax exaktboxes

I’m going to hear exakt today for the first time. If it’s as clinical as I think it is going to be then I’m one of those people who didn’t “exaktly” like it.

12 minutes ago, zee9 said:

I’m going to hear exakt today for the first time. If it’s as clinical as I think it is going to be then I’m one of those people who didn’t “exaktly” like it.

This has always surprised me, that some people don’t like Exakt. 

‘’Exakt is not clinical to my ears, it is a reduction of phase distortion, so you have less overlap of 2 speaker drivers producing the same frequencies at the same time.

Exakt should be a more accurate representation of the music, as there are less artifacts from the crossovers and should be more true to the music

Are some people just used to the sound of phase distortion and think of that as their sound preference?  😊

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

At first, I didn't like Exakt. Then I heard it. :D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, zee9 said:

Please report your findings.

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

Are some people just used to the sound of phase distortion and think of that as their sound preference?  😊

Some people listen for how musical their system sounds, not how much "phase distortion" they imagine they are hearing from their speakers.

Digital trickery is interesting but it cannot remove problems in the drivers themselves nor in the cabinet nor mounting.  Does it actually improve the musical naturalness of the speaker?  As you see there are differing opinions on that.  Personally the most musical speakers I have heard are all units with conventional analog crossovers, whether passive or active.

Oh yeah, I guarantee you I have speakers on the floor that have less phase distortion than any Exakt speaker, probably at home as well.  They are both analog speaker systems.

Edited by ThomasOK
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, ThomasOK said:

Some people listen for how musical their system sounds, not how much "phase distortion" they imagine they are hearing from their speakers.

The only way to hear phase distortion is to imagine it. :D

Edited by akamatsu

Ultimately, we arrive at the point where we can't say one set up is better sounding than another, they simply sound different and the one satisfies your ears more than the other. I have heard 242s fully exalted with katalyst and SO(my system), and driven one by Klimax solos, both with and without SO. All sound damned good, one is preferable to my ears over another.

Edited by Eldarboy
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Paulssurround said:

‘’Exakt is not clinical to my ears, it is a reduction of phase distortion, so you have less overlap of 2 speaker drivers producing the same frequencies at the same time.

Exakt should be a more accurate representation of the music, as there are less artifacts from the crossovers and should be more true to the music

Couldn't agree more.

Is there the same sentiment around DAC's in general and is this being seen as 'trickery' in general by the same people? The world is moving to 1's and 0's, and i am the first one to admit that this is not always for the better (yes owning a LP12 as well ;-). But embracing this and making sure that all the bits/bytes are being captured in the first place and then being sent with as little distortion as possible with the right timing (!) is a good thing, and they make activ/active exakt/passive speaker sound better in my opinion. Exakt makes a lot of sense to me and doesnt sound 'clinical' at all as it just solves for the potential inefficiencies of data and is the bridge to the analog world.

But at the end if you're not in agreement, isnt your only option than to throw out your DSM/SH or other devices with DAC's in it and stay with the LP12 and other analog sources? 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, frans5508 said:

Couldn't agree more.

Is there the same sentiment around DAC's in general and is this being seen as 'trickery' in general by the same people? The world is moving to 1's and 0's, and i am the first one to admit that this is not always for the better (yes owning a LP12 as well ;-). But embracing this and making sure that all the bits/bytes are being captured in the first place and then being sent with as little distortion as possible with the right timing (!) is a good thing, and they make activ/active exakt/passive speaker sound better in my opinion. Exakt makes a lot of sense to me and doesnt sound 'clinical' at all as it just solves for the potential inefficiencies of data and is the bridge to the analog world.

But at the end if you're not in agreement, isnt your only option than to throw out your DSM/SH or other devices with DAC's in it and stay with the LP12 and other analog sources? 

No, my option is to have both the LP12 and a streamer/DAC (and my Kremlin) so that I can listen to the best of analog and the best of streaming (and also the music I don't choose to or can't buy in LP format).  Then I keep it analog throughout the rest of the system so that it is "being sent with as little distortion as possible with the right timing" to the speakers.  If this seems counterintuitive to the 1s and 0s people, it is because my experience is that everything in the digital domain makes a musical difference from what network switch you use to the network cables and which direction they are plugged in to the power supply on the switch, etc., etc., etc.  So from my perspective, and in my actual experience, the more of the signal path is in the digital domain the more music I lose, compared to it being in the analog domain.  YMMV.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Good Evening All,

Did or do Linn make any other speaker than the Isobarik?????

OK so slightly 'tongue in cheek', I would love to hear a pair of Komri's.

Having gone from passive Briks c/w internal crossover to ones with the external crossover then conventionally active to the current (still a work in progress) 5 amplifier driven modified driver versions sat in front of me now (driven by an KDS/3-10 channel Exactbox) I don't feel the need to look at any other speaker.

If it ain't broken don't fix it.

Regards

Richard

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

No, my option is to have both the LP12 and a streamer/DAC (and my Kremlin) so that I can listen to the best of analog and the best of streaming (and also the music I don't choose to or can't buy in LP format).  Then I keep it analog throughout the rest of the system so that it is "being sent with as little distortion as possible with the right timing" to the speakers.  If this seems counterintuitive to the 1s and 0s people, it is because my experience is that everything in the digital domain makes a musical difference from what network switch you use to the network cables and which direction they are plugged in to the power supply on the switch, etc., etc., etc.  So from my perspective, and in my actual experience, the more of the signal path is in the digital domain the more music I lose, compared to it being in the analog domain.  YMMV.

Thanks I agree that more factors are at play in the digital domain and that more stuff is potentially influencing the music experience and that analog is in that sense more straightforward. ps I had to Google YMMC but yes YMMC! 

@zee9you've been skeptical/wondering about Exakt for some time now and i am happy that you are finally going to try it out. Please let us know, i am sincerely curious about your experience! 

• Like 1