Linn Klimax LP12 v High end CD transport

Here's a question - would a Klimax LP12 played into the Klimax Organik DSM with a Twin amp and passive Acubarik speakers out perform a high end CD transport player ? discuss.

Edited by Sound Man

Musically it might well do for many here; technically it cannot possibly, because LP replay carries so much unwanted noise, and cartridges have double-digit distortion. 

Edited by Nopiano

23 minutes ago, StellanH said:

Yes, since CD is an inferior medium compared to LP

Not true.  They are both flawed platforms, just in different ways.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, StellanH said:

Yes, since CD is an inferior medium compared to LP

Don’t agree. Mastering over medium every time!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

If outperform means 'prefer to listen to', then in my experience, yes, I prefer to listen to a Klimax LP12 to digital presentations.  It's simply more enjoyable and engaging to me, and that's why I listen to music.

Also, distortions from analog replay (if measured as a percentage using a fixed test tone) are routinely under 1%, and are often primarily THD. Those figures compare equivalently to tubed amplification.  What is different is the noise floor - digital does have superior signal to noise.

12 minutes ago, JBC said:

If outperform means 'prefer to listen to', then in my experience, yes, I prefer to listen to a Klimax LP12 to digital presentations.  It's simply more enjoyable and engaging to me, and that's why I listen to music.

Also, distortions from analog replay (if measured as a percentage using a fixed test tone) are routinely under 1%, and are often primarily THD. Those figures compare equivalently to tubed amplification.  What is different is the noise floor - digital does have superior signal to noise.

The old problem with this is why this would be the case with albums that started life in the digital domain.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Musically it might well do for many here; technically it cannot possibly, because LP replay carries so much unwanted noise, and cartridges have double-digit distortion. 

Since I am using the gear to listen to music, I will take musically over technically every time.  Especially when it is only supposed technically.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThomasOK said:

Since I am using the gear to listen to music, I will take musically over technically every time.  Especially when it is only supposed technically.

I’d definitely choose a Sondek Klimax too if a had one.  My reply was to the slight cryptic ‘out perform’ question!

7 minutes ago, Sound Man said:

My post is about musical performance between the LP12 and a CD transport into my Organik DSM.

If you already have a DSM, then a CD transport becomes a 'why bother?' proposal.  You'd be better off buying a cheap computer CD drive and simply ripping the CD's to storage to stream to your DSM.   With the money you save on the CD transport, you could go buy yourself a Majik LP12 (if you don't have one already) and could start to enjoy the complementary joys of analog. 

This is a bit like who would win in a fight between a tiger and a shark? CD & vinyl are different presentations. IMHO, vinyl's technical deficiencies add something pleasing that makes it enjoyable and 'musical'.

Edited by 13th Duke of Wymbourne
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, 13th Duke of Wymbourne said:

This is a bit like who would win in a fight between a tiger and a shark? 

Or between a wolverine and a honey badger (Google it)!

Edited by sktn77a
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MickC said:

Based on my own recent experience I am also forming the opinion that this is the key differentiator.

As examples (albeit on my far from Klimax LP12 and far from high-end CD player) Blondie's Parallel Lines on LP12 vs Cd is no contest - the CD delivers a pleasant tune and enjoyable experience, but absolutely nowhere near the musical joy from the LP12. Electric Light Orchestra's re-mastered "Very best of" on the other hand, was a somewhat disappointing recent vinyl purchase - I was expecting the same effect but in truth; very little to differentiate between the two media. 

21 hours ago, MickC said:

That was not the question. 

Of course, there might be personal preferences, but musically (or entertaining, as I prefer to say), the LP wins over CD in 99 out of 100.

Actually I have never heard a title on CD to be more musically/entertaining than the same title on LP.

Otherwise I would have ditched LP long time ago.

Just my view.

• Upvote 2