Royal Ascot 2021

Non-Smoking Man

Posted (edited)

DAY 3 is afoot...

ITV7 entry complete...

I like one in the Britannia handicap - could be a plot horse..watch this space..

Jack

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

The opening juvenile event goes to the Paul Hannigan/Richard Fahey combination with Perfect Power. PP is by first season sire Ardad and cost a cool £110K, so this is a bit back in the coffers for connections.

I selected the O'Brien trained Cadamosto, a respectable 4th.

The next race is the 10F Hampton Court, a Group 3, and I dont fancy anything. I like some of One Ruler's form from last year but has to give away 4 lbs to the rest of the field, some of whom look more progressive.

No advice.

Jack

I used to drive past Ascot racecourse on my way to/from work. Except that I learned to use another route when the racing was on. The main drag through Ascot was crawling (literally) with drunken toffs in grey suits. Anyone else would have got done for being drunk and disorderly (probably at much lower levels of intoxication) but not here ("just high spirits Your Honour").

Posted (edited)

Its the horses I'm interested in Phil, less so the upper classes.

Actually, ownership has shifted significantly to middle and working classes in large syndicates. Also much bloodstock is arab owned and they neither drink nor bet, as I'm sure you know.

Princess Royal is the Royal doing the honours today and I'm in favour of her as she is genuinely horsey, and has a European 3 Day event Gold medal to prove it. Hereditary privelege is not, however, high up on my list of social and political criteria.

Jack

Edited by Non-Smoking Man

Mohaafeth, trained by top man William Haggas, will keep the Hampton Court but JimCrowley will get a holiday for failing to keep a straight course. The winner is Shadwell estates owned - the organisation formerly run by the Late Sheik Hamdan.

The Ascot 'Oaks', the Ribblesdale is next up, and again I cant help. Just enjoying the spectacle.

Jack

John Gosden trains the winner of the Ribblesdale but with his second string ridden by the stable 'workhorse' Rab Havlin. She probably surprised a few @ 18/1 but Loving Dream was game and genuine.

Lovely interview with the winning owner/breeders who go under the name of 'The Lordship Stud'. Winning @ Royal Ascot is a feather in the Stud's cap and the staff will be ecstatic, the lady owner said. Good stuff.

Gold Cup next and Stradivarius's attempt at a record 4th win in it. (Did Yeats win 3 or 4?)

Ive never bet Stradivarius, and sometimes opposed him as he had never done a time for me. I'd like to see him win for Frankie and John Gosden and the owner, but I picked Serpentine in the ITV7 and that is a Group 1 winner (Epsom Derby) and so may have sufficient class to compete with the favourite even though trying a longer trip for the first time.

Jack

1 hour ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Its the horses I'm interested in Phil, less so the upper classes.

Actually, ownership has shifted significantly to middle and working classes in large syndicates. Also much bloodstock is arab owned and they neither drink nor bet, as I'm sure you know.

Princess Royal is the Royal doing the honours today and I'm in favour of her as she is genuinely horsey, and has a European 3 Day event Gold medal to prove it. Hereditary privelege is not, however, high up on my list of social and political criteria.

Jack

Fair enough, it's just that the drunken toffs were mainly responsible for delaying my journey home from work, and that's what rankled. As far as HRH is concerned, I remember what her father is reputed to have said: "If it doesn't fart and eat hay, she's not interested". ;)

• Like 1

Brittania up next - very difficult but i came up with Horoscope who has a lot of weight, but also a lot of class.

Jack

King George Handicap over 1.5m follows the Brittania.

This has never been my race, so I'm not going to say much as I havent done the homework and only given the runners a quick scan.

Jack

The last race is another cavalry charge, this time over 7F.

Again, best keep you hard-earned in your pocket, but I do like an outsider whose form last year has a good feel to it, with the winner (Tsar) being sold to race abroad (Hong Kong) and doing very well out there.

Its Clive Cox's Dance Fever. Its been off the racecourse for 327 days so I should leave it alone, and probably will. Its currently 30 on the Exchanges.

Jack

Off up North today but Ive entered the ITV7.

I have no chance - looks impossible.

Jack

Still away so no contribution, but the prevailing heavy ground makes it even harder for the punter. Best of luck everyone!

Jack