Does Roon limit the sound quality of the music it plays ?

bencat

In another long thread there has been the assertion from some that Roon does not sound very good and limits the quality of the music that is put through its software . Others think Roon is a very good software music programme that increases their enjoyment of their music.

Me I am agnostic never used Roon and no real desire to do so but that is more because i am cheapskate and will not pay the money required to use the software , this is not getting at the cost or the software it is just how I feel and work .

So what do you think ?

• Upvote 1

I've used Roon for several years. Earlier this year I went back to LMS for a month - because cheapskate.

It was fine, but I confess I prefer the sound if I upsample to DSD. So back to using Roon. Yes, I may be kidding myself, but I don't think so.

Upscaling, TME, gives a small but worthwhile improvement. LMS doesn't have this capability. It sounds good to me, other software solutions seem to have a big learning curve and I can't be arsed. I just want to play my music. Easily.

Roon is on my laptop, as are my rips. Wifi to my router, ethernet to the SOtM. The rest of the system is listed to the left.

I had it on trial, loved the interface, helped me find new music and rediscover my own library, however, to my ears, it did have an ever so subtle negative impact on sound quality ... 

39 minutes ago, dubber said:

I had it on trial, loved the interface, helped me find new music and rediscover my own library, however, to my ears, it did have an ever so subtle negative impact on sound quality ... 

And that is really where i am as well. The difference with Roon was subtle but sufficient to nag away when i knew how good the tracks can sound without Roon. 

I can detect no difference in SQ between using Roon and the Auralic app when using my (pretty decent) system.

I think this may have been an issue for some based on a Roon version some while ago.

I also think audiohile nervosa sets in amongst a few, those who are constantly listening out for 'problems'. Expectation bias then sets in and a 'suspect' needs identifying.

I do have an audio pal who has a very serious Naim system (around £80k!). He read of Roon SQ issues so spent some considerable time investigating, trialing, etc. End result; no detectable difference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

As always, there is a YMMV aspect to this depending on the system used and the ears listening.

My take on why Roon are not bothered about the (many) reports of SQ issues is that they have a target market where Roon SQ is 'good enough' for the great majority of systems being used and where the user interface and functionality of Roon is the prime motive for using Roon with those system owners.

I have a lifetime Roon subscription and I will keep popping back to Roon every now and then to see if it has improved but until then I am heartened by the new Innuos 2.0 app which I am currently trialing in beta mode. This has a great user interface and sound quality has been a prime objective when it was being developed. Sure it does not have all the bells and whistles of Roon but this does have advantages because it does not generate huge amounts of network traffic generating all those bells and whistles.

There is a subtle difference between ripped CDs (DB Poweramp) played using Roon and the original CD, but it is only noticeable when compared back to back. Roon in isolation sounds great, the same music, from the same CD when played in isolation also sounds great.

The CD sounds slightly warmer, tonally richer, where as the ripped version played via Roon sounds a little sharper, more livelier.  Is the CD replay affecting the sound, or is the ripping process and Roon manipulation causing sound degradation? Which is the most 'correct' sound? I have no idea, and don't really care that much as the differences are too subtle to worry about, and after a couple of minutes of playing either, all I hear is lovely, engaging music that thrills me. That's what it is all about, isn't it?.

• Like 4

On 16/06/2021 at 20:05, dubber said:

23 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

And that is really where i am as well. The difference with Roon was subtle but sufficient to nag away when i knew how good the tracks can sound without Roon. 

For clarity, what were you each comparing to here? 

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Is that playing locally stored files?

I used it for both Qobuz and locally stored files, but I use Qobuz 90% of the time and that's where I noticed the difference. 

• Like 1

I played files directly from the Pro-ject StreamBox S2 Ultra (connected via USB to a hard drive), and via Roon to the same Stream Box and could detect absolutely no difference whatsoever between the two.   I did the same test using Qobuz (the streamer connects directly) and no difference also. 

I use Qobuz and a Auralic Aries G2 (with Stephen Horwege PSU). I can use Qobuz with the help of Auralic Lightning DS software or Roon. Lightning DS and Roon are sounding a bit different, but I realy can't say one of them sounds better.

Edited by Huite

On 17/06/2021 at 00:15, simon g said:

I also think audiophile nervosa sets in amongst a few, those who are constantly listening out for 'problems'. Expectation bias then sets in and a 'suspect' needs identifying.

sorry for the repeat of what I've said elsewhere

I've tried dozens (literally, but probably closer to a hundred) combinations of servers, clocks, re-clockers, cables, power supplies. etc.

DCS Rossini with DCS clock, PS Audio Direct stream, Chord DAVE with outboard supplies, Chord Mscaler, Mutec 10MHz ref10, Antelope 10 MHz reference and DAC, Mutec USB to SPDIF re-clocker, Innous USB re-clocker, Uptone EtheRegen, Uptone USB re-clocker, various servers including Nucleus, Zenith, SMG, high end computers, various programs including Pure Music, Euphony, Audirvana, Mosaic, Roon, HQP,  AudioLinux, + others, all sorts of Ethernet and USB cables, and others I've forgotten

and I agree completely with Simon. 

My take on it.. if your device that takes the ethernet stream at the receiving  end (Ethernet capable DAC, Ethernet to USB, Ethernet to SPDIF, whatever)  is so susceptible to what comes before it then you need to find something that is not. It is a data stream.  It is the exact same data set from all of these devices. 

I don't mean this to be condescending, and again, my take on it after much experimentation is...  those of you who hear profound differences need to get different equipment. Those of you who hear subtle differences are deluding yourselves. I don't believe "subtle" differences are worth pursuing and in the vast majority of cases are not repeatable. I hear subtle differences when playing the same thing over and over and changing nothing in the system. If you are honest with yourself, you do too.

I understand the fun in trying all of this different stuff and the pride in ownership when spending large $$ on all of this stuff, but at some point it is ultimately a waste of money. However, it is your money, doesn't bother me if you want to waste it.

Edited by ChordFan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4