2021/2022 Premier League Football Season

bencat

Super Wammer

Another trip up to the Emirates last weekend to see the Newcastle game, it was bleddy freezing! Arsenal played well enough to deserve their 2-0 victory, with two well taken goals. I was pleased to see Martinelli get half an hour, and to score within 2 minutes of coming on was pleasing, he is some talent! We still do not do enough going forward for me, but we were patient and got our rewards. A couple of tough away matches next, Old Trafford & Goodison. COYG!

Edited by greybeard
  • Like 2

An excellent performance from City, yesterday, in horrendous conditions. The first ten minutes were really difficult as players struggled with the slower movement of the ball and the bumpiness of the surface. West Ham's more direct approach suited the conditions more but once Walker and Mahrez sorted themselves out, City were excellent and were brilliantly martialled by the outstanding Rodri, who continually nullified any threat and used the ball very intelligently.

Yesterday, I watched the Chelsea and United match. Chelsea were by some margin the better side but could easily have lost because of poor finishing and a couple of mistakes at the back. I was dismayed to see United players continually surrounding the referee, at every opportunity, and particularly Fernandes and Ronaldo, whose wagging finger and sneering were out of order. In my view, players surrounding the referee should be booked, without exception, and they do it because referees take no action.

• Upvote 1

Super Wammer

Went to Anfield to watch Liverpool on Saturday still wearing shorts and everyone kept telling me it was cold so it must have been .

Liverpool were good but again very wasteful of the chances they created . Jota should have easily had his hat trick and the score could have been 7 or 8 easily and it would not have flattered Liverpool .

Southampton I have to say were poor and had not real answer when Liverpool moved the ball quickly . I had thought they would continue to improve as a team but there was little sign of that . I think that they are lucky that there are poorer performing sides in the PL than them at the moment but if they do not improve then i suspect they will be part of the relegation battle sooner than later.

I know there will be many who think it is a bit rich moaning about Liverpool after a 4-0 win and I do understand that view but if you want to compete with Chelsea and City then you need to have very high standards and when you can keep scoring . It is nice that we are still in touch and we have to try and see if we can maintain that till the end of the year. Now roll on my least favourite game of the year on Wednesday .

On 28/11/2021 at 09:53, Non-Smoking Man said:

Chelsea host Man United (a team I keep an eye on) this afternoon (28/11) and are hot favourites to secure the win.

However, they are without Chilwell and Kante, and Harry Maguire is not playing (suspended) - 3 factors which suggest that it will be a more even game than predicted. (Maguire has lost a yard of pace and a percentage of concentration since returning from injury; and he wasnt the quickest for starters!) He has to go.)

Further, they are coming off a win which kept them in the Champions League, which will aid confidence; and Fernandes was rested midweek (he goes well fresh).

Despite their recent defensive frailties (Luke Shaw stand up and be counted) Man United still boast an array of talent that is capable of upsetting anyone. Moreover they have a terrific away record (admittedly built when there were no spectators).

The outstanding value is to back Man U for a win and draw at the available odds or, the route I took,  to lay Chelsea (same difference). In other words I have backed Chelsea not to win.

Should be an interesting game..

Jack NSM

Ahem, I got this right in case nobody noticed..:^

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Non-Smoking Man said:

Ahem, I got this right in case nobody noticed..:^

Yes but Chelsea should have won easily, poor finishing let them down. Chelsea had 24 shots to Man U 3. The new manager has a lot of work to do. 

Edited by StingRay
  • Upvote 1

Super Wammer
8 hours ago, bencat said:

Now roll on my least favourite game of the year on Wednesday .

Why is that Andrew, I love a local Derby :) 

Super Wammer
16 hours ago, greybeard said:

Why is that Andrew, I love a local Derby :) 

Because as we have only one Derby while London Derby's are like buses one along every few minutes. In our Derby form means nothing and players get over hyped and build it up too much . Result is stupid tackles like the ones on Virgil and Thiago which meant losing them for a long period . Despite being in the top three Liverpool have nothing like the squad depth of Chelsea or City or even Utd so certain players being out can cause us real issues. Out owners will not spend unless they get money in first so they will not replace any injured players in January and we will just have to get on with it .

Super Wammer
9 minutes ago, bencat said:

Because as we have only one Derby while London Derby's are like buses one along every few minutes. In our Derby form means nothing and players get over hyped and build it up too much . Result is stupid tackles like the ones on Virgil and Thiago which meant losing them for a long period . Despite being in the top three Liverpool have nothing like the squad depth of Chelsea or City or even Utd so certain players being out can cause us real issues. Out owners will not spend unless they get money in first so they will not replace any injured players in January and we will just have to get on with it .

I'd have to disagree Andrew, I think all derby's are feisty affairs. The fans will not accept anything less than total commitment, which unfortunately, can spill over to some unsavoury incidents. Form certainly goes out of the window in the NLD, but also in most other London derby's especially against Arsenal, as the Capitals most successful team. :) 

39 minutes ago, bencat said:

You are probably lucky you only have 2 derby matches. But Manchester is not far away, are they not considered derbies?

Only derby around here used to be Norwich v Ipswich but they are 45 miles apart.

It's possible it could happen again next season.

Super Wammer

Depends on how you define a Derby . I am very much of the old school version which is two teams from the same City playing each other so Liverpool V Everton , Utd v City etc . London having so many teams has more than most . Sorry but Norwich v Ipswich is not a Derby in my book but that does not prevent it being very much a grudge match . Liverpool v Utd is a gain a grudge match with not much love lost between the two clubs , Liverpool v City has nothing like that edge . Oh and do not even get me started on Real Madrid v Barcelona that is never a Derby .

3 minutes ago, bencat said:

Real Madrid v Barcelona

Not heard it called a Derby Andrew , it's referred to as El Clasico .

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, StingRay said:

But Manchester is not far away, are they not considered derbies?

Sometimes called the North West Derby .

Super Wammer

When Villa Play the Blues it is usually a very nasty affair. Never much of a spectacle & indeed alot of hate from the Blue side.  Fond memories though, especially after we got kicked to bits, Grealish felled by a right hook from a fan...but carried on to score the winner. You couldnt write the script really :).  UTV.

Southend Utd and Morecambe are both called 'The Shrimpers'.

When we play each other, we call it 'El Gambero'.

• Haha 1