Michael Lavorgna - inconvenient digital truths…

I had the ‘source first’ thing proved to me in an interesting way, a little while before I bought my LP12 (so we’re talking very late ‘seventies).

I used to own a jazz funk album which was a great recording, although the music on the album didn’t appeal that much (the LP was a gift). On one long track, there was a very short section with two saxophones playing the exact same notes. On my Thorens turntable I’d never realised there were two saxophones! It was only when I took the LP to a friend’s house (he had an LP12, but it’s entirely possible other good tutntable setups would work as well) that I heard it was two instruments. I even took my Thorens to his house to try it in his system, and we couldn’t hear the two saxophones. He had a very expensive and enjoyable stereo, but once my turntable had lost that information at the source, it was impossible for his system to find it again.

Within eighteen months I’d bought an LP12…

Mick

PS For those interested to know what the album was, I can’t recall! I think it was by Jeff Lorber but can’t be sure; sorry. I moved it on fairly soon after. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, MickC said:

On my Thorens turntable I’d never realised there were two saxophones!

A great story.  And I think it helps explain why many musicians aren’t too fussy about Hifi.  You see they’d already know it was two saxophones, so that’s what they’d hear, even on a modest turntable.  

As for source first, I definitely think digital has turned this thinking somewhat on its head, given that the mechanical retrieval of an LP via a turntable requires vast engineering skill, whereas 99% of digital replay needs just couple of mass produced chips. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Nopiano said:

A great story.  And I think it helps explain why many musicians aren’t too fussy about Hifi.  You see they’d already know it was two saxophones, so that’s what they’d hear, even on a modest turntable.  

Interesting point. I’d never call my self a musician, but when I was learning to play bass guitar as a teenager, I wasn’t really interested in the overall fidelity, just what I could hear of the bass, so I could try to copy it. My father surprised me one day, by claiming to like “Who’s Next” that I was working through. “Especially that one with the violin in it” - I had to think about that, as the violin (Baba O’Reilly) was just something I counted through waiting for the bass. It was only later, when I started working and the bass had to take a back seat, that I started listening to the music rather than pieces of it.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1