PS Audio DirectStream Power Plants

Zen Monkey

Has anyone here used PS Audio's latest generation of Power Plant mains regenerators?

I'm looking to swap my IsoTek Genesis One mains regenerator (which I really like, but only has enough juice to power my SACD transport and DAC) for a PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant P12 mains regenerator which can power my entire hi-fi system and possibly the home cinema system too. Can anyone share their first hand impressions? Cheers.

Edited by Zen Monkey

23 hours ago, Zen Monkey said:

Has anyone here used PS Audio's latest generation of Power Plant mains regenerators?

I'm looking to swap my IsoTek Genesis One mains regenerator (which I really like, but only has enough juice to power my SACD transport and DAC) for a PS Audio DirectStream Power Plant P12 mains regenerator which can power my entire hi-fi system and possibly the home cinema system too. Can anyone share their first hand impressions? Cheers.

transparency 1st, I am a PS Audio dealer, and use a P15 daily, so bear that in mind.

Can't you get your local PS Audio dealer to let you try one before you buy?

Are you also aware that the P12 only has 3 full regeneration sockets and 1 High Current (UK Sockets) given you want to run your whole system and AV too, (P15 and P20 both have 9 inc 2 high current) due to the nature of these products, it is advisable to use them in your own system, as their effectiveness is in some way subject to your current mains quality.

Edited by Paul
  • Upvote 1

It's a pain in the arse that the UK models have fewer outputs due to the real estate our plugs take. I've ruled out trying any of these for that reason alone.

@Zen Monkey Transparency first. I have owned two of the P10 but none of the later versions. I found them great for reining in my 253v mains but i heard a slight hardening to the top end when using them. I heard a similar effect when i tried another manufacturers regenerators. With both manufacturers products i also found that they discharged significant noise back into the wall sockets. 

Obviously many people speak very highly of them though so clearly in some systems they are effective and people like them.

As suggested a home trial in your own system is recommended. 

7 hours ago, Fourlegs said:

@Zen Monkey Transparency first. I have owned two of the P10 but none of the later versions. I found them great for reining in my 253v mains but i heard a slight hardening to the top end when using them. I heard a similar effect when i tried another manufacturers regenerators. With both manufacturers products i also found that they discharged significant noise back into the wall sockets. 

Obviously many people speak very highly of them though so clearly in some systems they are effective and people like them.

As suggested a home trial in your own system is recommended. 

+1

Wether they work or not will largely depend on the quality of the  mains power supply as is it is :)

I have the first gen PS P1200 power regenrator running my whole chain. As I live in a huge apartment complex with nasty power gremlins. Never tried any of my boxes without it, so don't know if it makes a difference to be honest. But I just keep it for peace of mind :D

£5k for a 1250w device crazy expensive compared to industrial solar inverter produced in huge volumes £5k would get a system to power your hifi + your house 

not tried one but this should do the same job

Goal Zero Yeti 1000X 1500W | Lithium Power Stations | Hampshire (hampshiregenerators.co.uk)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I've had the PS Audio P5 for several years and use it to power all components in my systems.

It raises the performance of all items in the chain and does it without any bother.

The one thing I really like is the ability to switch the entire system on from one switch, it also powers up each item individually switching them on at 0v crossing point.

I know this is not very objective - it just works and works well.

Edited by jahsavage
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Thanks to everyone who replied.

On 18/06/2021 at 12:13, Paul said:

transparency 1st, I am a PS Audio dealer, and use a P15 daily, so bear that in mind.

Can't you get your local PS Audio dealer to let you try one before you buy?

Are you also aware that the P12 only has 3 full regeneration sockets and 1 High Current (UK Sockets) given you want to run your whole system and AV too, (P15 and P20 both have 9 inc 2 high current) due to the nature of these products, it is advisable to use them in your own system, as their effectiveness is in some way subject to your current mains quality.

I've no space for the larger P15. Two full regeneration sockets are all my hifi system needs so I was going to use the third socket to power a distribution block feeding the home cinema system but the home cinema system really is an afterthought. If it can partially power that too - great, if not - that's okay.

On 20/06/2021 at 08:02, triumph said:

+1

Wether they work or not will largely depend on the quality of the  mains power supply as is it is :)

I have the first gen PS P1200 power regenrator running my whole chain. As I live in a huge apartment complex with nasty power gremlins. Never tried any of my boxes without it, so don't know if it makes a difference to be honest. But I just keep it for peace of mind :D

Haha. You could find out how effective it simply by plugging your gear straight into the wall! :D

On 20/06/2021 at 08:02, triumph said:

£5k for a 1250w device crazy expensive compared to industrial solar inverter produced in huge volumes £5k would get a system to power your hifi + your house 

not tried one but this should do the same job

Goal Zero Yeti 1000X 1500W | Lithium Power Stations | Hampshire (hampshiregenerators.co.uk)

Prior to buying the IsoTek mains regenerator, I installed a Goal Zero Yeti battery power station in my system (after reading this incredibly positive review here) but unfortunately, despite greatly improving clarity and subsequently increasing detail, it also robbed music of vitality. There was barely any life or energy to the music at all. That was my experience; but the review I linked to suggests they work incredibly well in certain systems.

Edited by Zen Monkey

Goal zero low cost version - heard one of these in munich powering a £1m+ kondo rig & built a 4KVA one myself using same components for £2K

could power the hifi for days if required if you need more control / multi room use a smart power block

Pure Music Battery Power Supply | System Optimisation | Living Voice

MultiPlus - Victron Energy

Netio PowerBox 4Kx Smart Power Monitoring | Remote Reboot Power Switches (serverroomenvironments.co.uk)

Edited by triumph

10 hours ago, triumph said:

Goal zero low cost version - heard one of these in munich powering a £1m+ kondo rig & built a 4KVA one myself using same components for £2K

could power the hifi for days if required if you need more control / multi room use a smart power block

Pure Music Battery Power Supply | System Optimisation | Living Voice

MultiPlus - Victron Energy

Netio PowerBox 4Kx Smart Power Monitoring | Remote Reboot Power Switches (serverroomenvironments.co.uk)

Hi Triumph,

Interested in what you have built, any more details or pictures ?

You mention that 5K is crazy expensive (it is for most of us) but link to the definitave audio battery system above. I spoke to Kevin just before the postponed Kegworth show, and this was much dearer and not exactly portable, so am wondering why you included the link.

Best,

Julian

no pictures built my own control panel with inverter &  gel batteries connect to mains to charge or solar panels much cheaper than buying pre-built 

you can buy loose components or kits