Serious Turntable Competition For The LP12 From Naim?

I just received an email from one of the local HiFi shops, not a Linn dealer, claiming that the LP12 has some serious competition from Naim, about to be released in September, and probably sounds better than the LP12

They state:

This is not on sale, but I cannot contain my enthusiasm:
The Most Exciting Turntable Introduction EVER:

Available in September, 2021: Naim Solstice Turntable Complete Improved AERO Tonearm and Naim MC cartridge, Phono Stage, the Best Ever Improved Naim Armageddon Power Supply using DR Regulators.  $26,000 Complete. A comparable Linn LP12 will cost you close to $40K, probably not sounding as good.  Book your pre-order now.  Will Probably Sell Out by time of Release in September, 2021. 

Comments?

61D2749E-4D0C-4023-8842-218600457DBF.png

Edited by Paulssurround
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

I just received an email from one of the local HiFi shops, not a Linn dealer, claiming that the LP-12 has some serious competition from Naim, about to be released in September, and probably sounds better than the LP-12

They state:

Available in September, 2021: Naim Solstice Turntable Complete Improved AERO Tonearm and Naim MC cartridge, Phono Stage, the Best Ever Improved Naim Armageddon Power Supply using DR Regulators.  $26,000 Complete. A comparable Linn LP12 will cost you close to $40K, probably not sounding as good.  Book your pre-order now.  Will Probably Sell Out by time of Release in September, 2021. 

Comments?

Also comes with a pair of Klouts.

Edited by ACS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Paulssurround said:

I just received an email from one of the local HiFi shops, not a Linn dealer, claiming that the LP-12 has some serious competition from Naim, about to be released in September, and probably sounds better than the LP-12

They state:

Comments?

Several.  To start it is obviously a lot of hyperbole.  A comparable LP12 will cost $40,000?  Has the Canadian dollar fallen precipitously?  In the US the most expensive LP12 you can buy is about $25,000 with the phono stage.  Is it really $40,000 in Canada?  Aero tonearm?  They don't even know how to spell the name of their own product.  Will probably sell out by it's release in September 2021?  Interesting there is no mention of it being a limited edition.

Obviously I don't know what all is involved in the turntable design but an updated Aro and an updated Armageddon connected to a turntable that has a monster platter and a tall arm mount to match it on a base that looks like it couldn't possibly spring that much weight doesn't exactly sound like the latest word in turntable design.  I can't find anything about it on the web which would make me wonder if it weren't closer to April 1st.  But everybody has to have a turntable nowadays regardless of whether or not they have any idea of how to design one.  With badge engineering they obviously don't have to (McIntosh turntables made by Clearaudio, Mark Levinson turntable made by VPI, etc.).  I suppose it sounded more likely than calling it a Focal turntable.  We shall see...

Edited by ThomasOK
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Super Wammer

I look forward to a head to head comparison.........with the Rega Planar 3. :D

Edited by akamatsu
  • Haha 4

Released September 2021?  Apparently they don't know the difference between a Solstice and an Equinox!  Or maybe they can't actually deliver them until December?

• Haha 1

I would imagine NAIM are going to be thrilled that this information has been leaked out by a dealer, I would of thought there would be NDA in place to ensure this does not happen

• Like 1

There are a number of turntables on the market at generally higher prices than the Linn that are not only serious competition, but are in some cases ( and IMHO) superior.

IF Naim is entering the fray, then this could be considered a good thing, as it should give Linn some incentive to once again-- 'up their game'! Nothing like a little competition to enable that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Daveyf: You forgot to mention the inferior Ekos SE 😂

• Haha 6

9 hours ago, ThomasOK said:

Several.  To start it is obviously a lot of hyperbole.  A comparable LP12 will cost $40,000?  Has the Canadian dollar fallen precipitously?  In the US the most expensive LP12 you can buy is about $25,000 with the phono stage.  Is it really $40,000 in Canada?  Aero tonearm?  They don't even know how to spell the name of their own product.  Will probably sell out by it's release in September 2021?  Interesting there is no mention of it being a limited edition.

Obviously I don't know what all is involved in the turntable design but an updated Aro and an updated Armageddon connected to a turntable that has a monster platter and a tall arm mount to match it on a base that looks like it couldn't possibly spring that much weight doesn't exactly sound like the latest word in turntable design.  I can't find anything about it on the web which would make me wonder if it weren't closer to April 1st.  But everybody has to have a turntable nowadays regardless of whether or not they have any idea of how to design one.  With badge engineering they obviously don't have to (McIntosh turntables made by Clearaudio, Mark Levinson turntable made by VPI, etc.).  I suppose it sounded more likely than calling it a Focal turntable.  We shall see...

Here is a link to the Linn site with Canadian prices, eh!!

https://wwww.linn.co.uk/ca/turntables/klimax-lp12

The LP-12 is just over $28,000, plus $1300 for the Karousel bearing, plus $7700 for the Radikal Klimax case plus $3575 for the Keel

I’m holding out for the Lejonklou turntable

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ben Webster said:

@Daveyf: You forgot to mention the inferior Ekos SE 😂

What would be the point, it would be falling on deaf ears...:P

• Haha 6

6 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

Here is a link to the Linn site with Canadian prices, eh!!

Unfortunately, the link defaults to the region I’m in, so I get the UK prices. But, I think you’re misunderstanding the pricing structure, Paul. The complete Klimax LP12 includes all of those parts, so they are not in addition to the top price.

From the March 2021 UK Price List:

“Klimax LP12 £18870
Complete turntable, Klimax spec deck, Radikal (machined), Urika II, Keel, Ekos SE, Kandid”

(a bargain really, when you look at it like that 9_9)

All, new, LP12s come with Karousel bearing as standard. There isn’t an alternative bearing.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My insomnia had me up surfing the web when the leak occurred. It was posted by the online website Positive Feedback - and I knew it was a good idea to take some screenshots.

The two electronic boxes, phone stage and PS, are made by Naim.  The turntable and new Aro tonearm are being made by ClearAudio "under Naim design and supervision".

Limited to 500 examples - and $20k (US) as mentioned above.  

Sounds like a collectors edition/money grab dreamed up by the venture capitalists if you ask me.

Edited by glevethan
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Super Wammer
11 hours ago, Antz Davis said:

I would imagine NAIM are going to be thrilled that this information has been leaked out by a dealer, I would of thought there would be NDA in place to ensure this does not happen

It’s probably like the camouflaged cars widely photographed.  There’s nothing like a leak, especially an official one, to get the publicity.  Just like this thread!

• Haha 1

Super Wammer
51 minutes ago, glevethan said:

My insomnia had me up surfing the web when the leak occurred. It was posted by the online website Positive Feedback - and I knew it was a good idea to take some screenshots.

The two electronic boxes, phone stage and PS, are made by Naim.  The turntable and new Aro tonearm are being made by ClearAudio "under Naim design and supervision".

Limited to 500 examples - and $20k (US) as mentioned above.  

Sounds like a collectors edition/money grab dreamed up by the venture capitalists if you ask me.

It sounds like a complete system then, rather like the SME Synergy with Ortofon cartridge and Nagra phono stage.  Around £15,000 all in.

https://sme.co.uk/audio/product/synergy/

Edited by Nopiano

• Paulssurround changed the title to Serious Turntable Competition For The LP12 From Naim?