Serious Turntable Competition For The LP12 From Naim?

Well, the distribution chain includes the entire world - that's a lot of countries, importers, distributors and dealers.  I'd be interested to know how many Klimax LP12s Linn is selling annually as I think this would be an aspirational target for NAIM.....  (I'm guessing it's a lot less than 500)

After reading thru this thread and learning more about the Naim Solstice, it seems the obvious audience would be the same as the Linn Klimax.

1. Unlike the Klimax, which seems to be achieved by most users over years of upgrades offered by Linn, the Solstice would require it be purchased all at once. While I am sure there are full spec Klimax tables sold every year, the majority appear to achieve a Klimax level LP12 thru the upgrade process. Much more obtainable for the typical enthusiast.
  2. Linn manufacturer the whole table with some parts subcontracted. So many HiFi manufactures want to have a high spec TT but end up relying on a third parties for the majority of the build. Like McIntosh, Naim look to be relying on Clearaudio for the majority of the build. Why not just buy a top tier Clearaudio table at this point?
  3. The Linn has heritage and has followed the Kaizen philosophy of continuous improvement. I appreciate products with heritage and is one of the reasons I purchased an LP12. That and it has a great musical vibe that other offerings just did not have.

Now, I am not knocking Naim or the Solstice. At 500 units it seems like the Solstice is aimed at Naim enthusiasts just like full spec LP12s and aimed at Linn enthusiasts.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sktn77a said:

I'd be interested to know how many Klimax LP12s Linn is selling annually

Kandid production is limited to one a day (and there’s a 14 week lead time for a new one), so no more than that. Given that a fair proportion of new ones will be replacing old ones, that would put the figure at 100-150? Even that is probably on the high side, but we debated the number of Klimax decks out there, in an earlier thread, an IIRC the view was that it was close to 2000. However, the real beauty of the LP12 is that the Klimax model doesn’t have to be bought in one purchase, but can be upgraded gradually from a Majik deck, or older model.

’troll

Edited by Moomintroll
Clarity
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, macfan said:

After reading thru this thread and learning more about the Naim Solstice, it seems the obvious audience would be the same as the Linn Klimax.

1. Unlike the Klimax, which seems to be achieved by most users over years of upgrades offered by Linn, the Solstice would require it be purchased all at once. While I am sure there are full spec Klimax tables sold every year, the majority appear to achieve a Klimax level LP12 thru the upgrade process. Much more obtainable for the typical enthusiast.
  2. Linn manufacturer the whole table with some parts subcontracted. So many HiFi manufactures want to have a high spec TT but end up relying on a third parties for the majority of the build. Like McIntosh, Naim look to be relying on Clearaudio for the majority of the build. Why not just buy a top tier Clearaudio table at this point?
  3. The Linn has heritage and has followed the Kaizen philosophy of continuous improvement. I appreciate products with heritage and is one of the reasons I purchased an LP12. That and it has a great musical vibe that other offerings just did not have.

Now, I am not knocking Naim or the Solstice. At 500 units it seems like the Solstice is aimed at Naim enthusiasts just like full spec LP12s and aimed at Linn enthusiasts.

Linn spin.   

@mskaye Opinion based on direct observation. You are free of course to purchase whatever you want, and based on the fact you took the time to make a direct comment on this being spin in a forum focused on Linn turntables, then I'm confident you will be the first owner of the Naim Solstice and will easily demonstrate your clearly stated thought. 

56 minutes ago, macfan said:

@mskaye Opinion based on direct observation. You are free of course to purchase whatever you want, and based on the fact you took the time to make a direct comment on this being spin in a forum focused on Linn turntables, then I'm confident you will be the first owner of the Naim Solstice and will easily demonstrate your clearly stated thought. 

Hardly.  I don't plan on buying a Naim Solstice and I'm happy with my LP12. That doesn't mean I think it's a perfect component.  Yes it does have heritage - at least it did in 1989 when I purchased it.  It's a finicky component that would cost me at least 10k to replace.  But I find the "spin" in comments that justify Linn's upgrade philosophy as "Kaizen philosophy of continuous improvement."  No, it's part of Linn's business plan.   

On 17/07/2021 at 21:47, sktn77a said:

Well, the distribution chain includes the entire world - that's a lot of countries, importers, distributors and dealers.  I'd be interested to know how many Klimax LP12s Linn is selling annually as I think this would be an aspirational target for NAIM.....  (I'm guessing it's a lot less than 500)

You think so?  We sold a Klimax LP12 this month, another one last month and the owner purchased one a few months ago.  That is three from this dealer this year, and there are definitely bigger Linn dealers than us in the US.  Now how many dealers does Linn have worldwide and how many would each on average have to sell to add up to 500?  i'm also not sure that the Kandid number is still valid as that was quoted when they originally went into production, it might have improved with time.  (Although it is still built by one person and the back orders might not indicate an improvement.)

It is also important to remember that with the Naim we are talking about a new product, not one that has been around 48 years.  As such they are filling up the demand from dealers and distributors for demos and for anticipated sales.  That is a lot different from actual sales to customers, especially of an established product.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ThomasOK said:

You think so?  We sold a Klimax LP12 this month, another one last month and the owner purchased one a few months ago. 

Well, there are probably 10 dealers in the USA that sell as many LP12s as you, Tom, maybe a couple more in the UK.  "Worldwide" is probably about the same!  

I guess we'll have to wait and see how the numbers bear out on the Solstice sales.

• 2 weeks later...

We are more than a month on since the release, and I have yet to read a single thing about the Solstice's performance. Has anyone heard one, let alone compared one to anything? 

I find the radio silence odd. Have orders been taken but not delivered yet? 

I wish Naim every success with the product, and hope it means they will consider producing more. Not that I would buy it, but it is good for the vinyl market to have healthy competition. 

Edited by VinylHabit
  • Like 1

Alan Sircom (sort of) reviewed it in HiFi+ and thought it excellent.  Of course, what else is he going to say?  

As for delivery, Clare Newsome said that the first set of tables is going out about now to distributors/dealers, and that it will take time for them to produce them for delivery to end users.  No mention of Naim's envisioned timeframe for production of the entire run.

• Like 2