Serious Turntable Competition For The LP12 From Naim?

12 hours ago, Antz Davis said:

I am sure @Cymbiosiscould easily use either x 3 300 or 500 but that would need another Fraim for the PSU alone

Yep....  there's always "too many boxes" with NAIM stuff!  :S

• Like 1

One of the things that might set the Naim apart is its platter. Looking at the Solstice platter and the LP12 platter in the picture above, one does have to question why Linn still uses their wimpy looking thing? It occurs to me that some of the best tables in the world are now using large ( and in some cases very large) platters, clearly there is a reason for this...inertial movement?? 

Anyone actually experimented with a much more substantial and larger platter on a Linn? ( i know this is probably heretical, but I thought why not ask? xD:P )

2 hours ago, Daveyf said:

One of the things that might set the Naim apart is its platter. Looking at the Solstice platter and the LP12 platter in the picture above, one does have to question why Linn still uses their wimpy looking thing? It occurs to me that some of the best tables in the world are now using large ( and in some cases very large) platters, clearly there is a reason for this...inertial movement?? 

Anyone actually experimented with a much more substantial and larger platter on a Linn? ( i know this is probably heretical, but I thought why not ask? xD:P )

You know, one of the great things about the LP12 is that it looks like a "classic" and traditional turntable.  I don't want a giant, mega platter or something that looks like it was made for a 1950's sci fi film. It's perfectly proportioned and it sounds better than most things out there.   I'm sure the Naim Solstice sounds great but its a STATEMENT and many of us need something that doesn't take up much real estate.   And to the prior post, yes, the absurdity of a Naim set up with a thousand boxes and cables makes me shake my head. I'm not knocking if you love it, but I can't live with that much clutter. Prefer to collect records and cds not cables, power supplies and external crossovers.  

Edited by mskaye
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, mskaye said:

You know, one of the great things about the LP12 is that it looks like a "classic" and traditional turntable.  I don't want a giant, mega platter or something that looks like it was made for a 1950's sci fi film. It's perfectly proportioned and it sounds better than most things out there.   I'm sure the Naim Solstice sounds great but its a STATEMENT and many of us need something that doesn't take up much real estate.   And to the prior post, yes, the absurdity of a Naim set up with a thousand boxes and cables makes me shake my head. I'm not knocking if you love it, but I can't live with that much clutter. Prefer to collect records and cds not cables, power supplies and external crossovers.  

Maybe I am alone in this, BUT I dont have a problem with a turntable not looking like the 'Classical' design from yesteryear. For example, the Kronos table...which I think has a very interesting industrial design. ( and one that i think is also far more contemporary). The classic look in this regard would have to be the Oracle Delphi, which by most counts is still very fresh and looks great. 

Obviously I still like the LP12, as I have invested a lot in it, but I am still thinking there is room for improvement, and hopefully the lads at Linn won't rest on their laurels for too long...which it seems they are not, as the new Karousel bearing is a nice upwards step, here's hoping it continues.

4 hours ago, Daveyf said:

I imagine the springs wouldn’t take the weight, so it’s bit of a non-starter. But Linn have become pretty clever at regulating the platter speed and stability. Only a direct drive can realistically beat it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nopiano said:

I imagine the springs wouldn’t take the weight, so it’s bit of a non-starter. But Linn have become pretty clever at regulating the platter speed and stability. Only a direct drive can realistically beat it. 

I see a resemblance, don't you?   The 50's prop (Robby the Robot from 1956's Forbidden Planet) also has a dust cover, unlike the VPI or Solstice.  

AVPITTAVGPLUS_temp.jpg

large_forbidden_planet_blu-ray_2.jpg

Edited by mskaye
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Daveyf said:

The very early platters on LP12s were around 0.6kg heavier than modern ones. I have tried one on my main LP12 but it seemed a bit bass heavy and with the suspension also needing to be adjusted I did not persist. Maybe redoing the setup would sort it. The risk with heavier platters is increased bearing wear so maybe using with the tranquility would work ok.

I also tried a lighter platter off a Linn Basik with an acrylic 15mm platter piggybacked on top with some promise. It was just a bit lighter in total and I may have another go at some time. Some may argue that changing or raising the center of gravity of the suspension is a problem though I suspect this is given more prominence as an issue than what it deserves.

17 hours ago, cre009 said:

The very early platters on LP12s were around 0.6kg heavier than modern ones. I have tried one on my main LP12 but it seemed a bit bass heavy and with the suspension also needing to be adjusted I did not persist. Maybe redoing the setup would sort it. The risk with heavier platters is increased bearing wear so maybe using with the tranquility would work ok.

I also tried a lighter platter off a Linn Basik with an acrylic 15mm platter piggybacked on top with some promise. It was just a bit lighter in total and I may have another go at some time. Some may argue that changing or raising the center of gravity of the suspension is a problem though I suspect this is given more prominence as an issue than what it deserves.

In other words, trust Linn's judgement.  

I do love an attempt at solving these reproduction issues at a purely mechanical level. I think Linn lately chooses an approach where these challenges are met in the digital domain (looking at you Urika II). So kudos to Naim for that. I just don't like their solution for reasons outside of engineering: I just think it is plain ugly. 

Didn't Clearaudio, VPI, McIntosh, MOTT try the same? Was it working? 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the chance to attend the German premiere showing of the new Naim Solstice in Hamburg last Saturday. Naim had planned a tour through Germany, but this was thwarted due to the Solstice being stuck in German customs for two weeks :-(

It was demoed on Naim amps and Focal speakers (the experts can probably identify them. It was clear from the start, that this is indeed a very good turntable. Dynamic, musical and you just wanted to hear lp after lp. No comparisons were made, but instinctively I must say, that if I didn't have an LP12, I would be very tempted. Looks are also very impressive, yet not too much bling bling.
The Naim representative has an LP12 with Karousel, Radikal, Aro and Kandid at home and he felt that the Naim was clearly better. He ordered one for himself... 100 of the 500 units were sold to German dealers, but all haven't yet been sold to final customers, so there's still a chance, if you are tempted.
Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_9783.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tendaberry said:

I had the chance to attend the German premiere showing of the new Naim Solstice in Hamburg last Saturday. Naim had planned a tour through Germany, but this was thwarted due to the Solstice being stuck in German customs for two weeks :-(

It was demoed on Naim amps and Focal speakers (the experts can probably identify them. It was clear from the start, that this is indeed a very good turntable. Dynamic, musical and you just wanted to hear lp after lp. No comparisons were made, but instinctively I must say, that if I didn't have an LP12, I would be very tempted. Looks are also very impressive, yet not too much bling bling.
The Naim representative has an LP12 with Karousel, Radikal, Aro and Kandid at home and he felt that the Naim was clearly better. He ordered one for himself... 100 of the 500 units were sold to German dealers, but all haven't yet been sold to final customers, so there's still a chance, if you are tempted.
Here are a couple of pics:

IMG_9783.jpg

Thanks Tendaberry 

One of our Linn dealers has one on order, so I may get to hear it when it arrives, and compare it to an LP12

Seems extraordinary that Germany would get 20% of the batch of 500, but maybe it’s a key market?

14 hours ago, Nopiano said:

Seems extraordinary that Germany would get 20% of the batch of 500, but maybe it’s a key market?

Or maybe it's the Clearaudio (German) connection?