What exactly is “Exakt”? - A linn lovers first Exakt experience!

The 242’s are finally back and presently passive with a single klout. They will stay that way till I get the katalyst upgrade on my Adsm/1. Hopefully by Wednesday.

Now the path forward will just be decided between passive (i’ll need to find a pair of Dynamik solos smile.png and Exakt.

Since these are new tests and I know these speakers I added the granite slab for stabilization issues and with the newly black coated mark1 bases.

20137ec9cfeecf0a12f683bda4d46d7f.jpg

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

4 hours ago, zee9 said:

I will say that I prefer the kabers passive with 1 klout over aktiv with 2 x 3200’s (non Dynamik). After this experiment the kaber aktiv cards were sold. Exakt is better than Aktiv as the exaktbox brings fantastic separation but it’s still missing something that the klout brings. i’ll keep an eye out for a third klout for the future.

Is it weird that your findings on the Exakted/Aktiv Kabers make me feel sad? :-)

I know this is a newbie question, but if you are keeping your Kabers passive, how does the 3rd Klout come into the mix?

Is it weird that your findings on the Exakted/Aktiv Kabers make me feel sad? :-)

I know this is a newbie question, but if you are keeping your Kabers passive, how does the 3rd Klout come into the mix?

What I found is that the best amps out of my collection that work with the kabers are the Klouts. I only have two at the moment so can’t try exakted kabers with Klouts. The wifey anyway prefers the kabers in the studio so they’re not getting sold anytime soon.

If I ever get a third klout i’ll try that combo with an Exaktbox.

The 242’s benefit and match the akurate amps much better with Exakt when compared to aktiv. I’m sure 10 solos with an exaktbox would be divine but i’ll never know.

Adsm/1 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update:

Katalyst is done and the Adsm/3 has been on for 2 days straight. It’s an upgrade alright but not as big as I had expected. The move from mdsm to Adsm was a bigger one. But the upgrade from Aktiv to exakt is the largest difference.

I’ve been enjoying passive for the last week and have tried multiple different amps and will spare you guys my findings.

But if I was to forgo Exakt and stay passive looking for two solos I would hold onto my 5105 as use it as the temporary amp till I find solos. Not because it’s better than my 4200/1 but just because it’s a very very close second to it. When you look at the pricing of the amps in the used market it would make more sense to sell the akurate amps.

Tomorrow we bring back the exaktbox10 into the system for a final decision whether we prefer passive or Exakt. I also have to factor in the katalyst upgrade that the exaktbox10 will need if we are to go Exakt.

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/3200/3200 >> Aktiv Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K400

Sounds a little bit as an antiklimax TBTH. One could say that you need more time to adjust to Katalyst and really appreciatie, burn in etc. I can’t say what my point on this would be though.  

You had a lot of shifts and changes in the system over the time. Maybe hard to see the forrest through the trees at this point. Although it’s nice to gain the experience with the gear.

• Upvote 1

The decision has finally been made….
Exakt is Not for US
smile.png

The two 3200’s are already listed for sale but i’ll give analog aktiv another test to hear how katalyst has helped aktiv.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, zee9 said:

The decision has finally been made….
Exakt is Not for US
smile.png

The two 3200’s are already listed for sale but i’ll give analog aktiv another test to hear how katalyst has helped aktiv.

Zee, without going into a 6,000 word thesis, how would you describe the main benefits of passive over Exakt in your system? Or indeed, what is it about Exakt that's not working for you?

Mike.

• Upvote 1

Zee, without going into a 6,000 word thesis, how would you describe the main benefits of passive over Exakt in your system? Or indeed, what is it about Exakt that's not working for you?
Mike.

Mike,

The easiest word to explain it was “fatigue” I think Exakt is fantastic for a demo, or maybe to hear few tracks. It’s fantastic for an AV setup as everything in a movie becomes super clear (audio wise)

The separation in stage is fantastic. You can hear the artists moving if they actually do move. The instruments are clearly recognizable. The system sounds great but to my ears that’s distracting.

My complaint with the clinical sound was somewhat remedied with Exakt but a new problem arose with the extra detail.

I’m 99% sure that passive is the way for us but since it takes few hours to disconnect and reconvert the speakers to passive. The exaktbox has just been removed from the system and before I go back to passive it makes sense to give aktiv another shot just due to the katalyst upgrade that happened last week. I have no clinical sound now in a passive setup and that’s probably due to moving from an mdsm to an Adsm. I’m sure katalyst also helps with that. Now to see if katalyst helps reducing the clinical sound in aktiv too.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, zee9 said:

Mike,

The easiest word to explain it was “fatigue” I think Exakt is fantastic for a demo, or maybe to hear few tracks. It’s fantastic for an AV setup as everything in a movie becomes super clear (audio wise)

The separation in stage is fantastic. You can hear the artists moving if they actually do move. The instruments are clearly recognizable. The system sounds great but to my ears that’s distracting.

My complaint with the clinical sound was somewhat remedied with Exakt but a new problem arose with the extra detail.

I’m 99% sure that passive is the way for us but since it takes few hours to disconnect and reconvert the speakers to passive. The exaktbox has just been removed from the system and before I go back to passive it makes sense to give aktiv another shot just due to the katalyst upgrade that happened last week. I have no clinical sound now in a passive setup and that’s probably due to moving from an mdsm to an Adsm. I’m sure katalyst also helps with that. Now to see if katalyst helps reducing the clinical sound in aktiv too.

Thanks Zee, that all makes sense. It sounds like your revealing 242's with their 3K array coupled with revealing and detailed Exakt is just too much for your ears.

Personally I feel as though I'm in a happy place just now with my Exakt system but perhaps not so revealing Keltiks. It's probably a good balance and is working well for me. It's certainly not fatiguing and I'm enjoying it immensely.

I've enjoyed hearing about your various upgrades and experiments with different Linn gear. Maybe at some stage you'll settle for a certain setup and be content that your work is done. Until the next upgrade!

Mike. 

Edited by SnapperMike
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Interesting, I added an Exaktbox 10 , Katalyst to my ADSM 3, 2 x 4100s, LP12  and MISOs about a month ago. It seems now to have settled in. I can only say it is even better than I expected. I listened to the vinyl version of Four Tet's "Rounds" last night and it was a revelation, Exakt seemed to have taken it apart and reassembled it in the correct order. I love the detail and speed of transients starting and stopping.

John

• Like 4

Hey Zee,

Thanks for keep us up to speed with your testing and final conclusions. It seems you like the 'old' and 'warm' sound and that the 242's are just not the right speaker for you and/or that these speakers cause the 'fatigue' and 'clinical sound' for you (which you experienced since day 1 you got them hooked up).  Also, from what i understand the MK2's are quite a step up from the MK1's and it might have to do with that as well? 

I had a chance to listen to various Linn systems last couple of weeks, all Exakt, both passive and aktiv, both Klimax and Akurate, with Katalyst and Organik, with Linn and non-Linn speakers. And it just all sounded very good :-). The setup with the New Generation Klimax DSM with 2 solos in passive mode as absolute winner, but I can't imagine how that setup must sound in aktiv. 

My point being that i personally doubt that the choice to make here is passive vs aktiv, but that you maybe should try different speakers OR stick to the Kabers with Exakt in 'pass-through' (that's possible right? did you test?) and grow to aktiv over time with more Klouts.

• Upvote 1

Zee9, I'm pretty sure that your 242's passive powered by Solos (even un-Dynamiked) would be right up your alley. But, if you are selling your ADSM/3, you need to upgrade your source too (not downgrade it). The 242's will show a source downgrade ruthlessly...

• Upvote 1

Zee9, I'm pretty sure that your 242's passive powered by Solos (even un-Dynamiked) would be right up your alley. But, if you are selling your ADSM/3, you need to upgrade your source too (not downgrade it). The 242's will show a source downgrade ruthlessly...

That’s the plan! ;)

• Like 1

On 7/30/2021 at 2:27 AM, zee9 said:

Mike,

hi zee9!I am a big fun of you!I have almost the same hifi system as yours. (adsm >>akurate 2200/5100/5100>>aktiv Akurate 242(mkii) slivers/k600/k400)

It is become a habit to check out the update of all your topic.Today,I sign up a ID to join the topic ^-^ 

I do want to know what happened next. Did the katalyst helps to cure the clinical sound in aktiv ?

best regards!

• Like 4