Concrete loudspeaker cabinet project

pmcuk

Ever since I made a pair of concrete speaker cabinets when I lived in Norway I've been a fan. Haven't touched the stuff recently but I've been researching ready-made solutions like planter pots in 1 cu ft size. I just came across something brilliantly simple, so easy I just have to do a build. It would be about a day's work. Here's the idea:

https://www.treehugger.com/cinder-speakers-turn-concrete-blocks-into-high-fidelity-4861324

http://danielballou.com/#cinder-speakers

http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/speaker-projects/cinder-block-speakers/

https://www.parts-express.com/Classix-II-MT-Bookshelf-Speaker-Kit-with-Baffle-Only-300-7110

And here's the hollow concrete blocks. The walls are 35mm thick. They weigh 26kg. I calculate each chamber as 4.5litres (145x145x215). They could be combined if an angle grinder could remove a bit of the centre section. 

https://www.lawsons.co.uk/product/category/1153/215mm-hollow-7n-concrete-block/h00001130 Lawsons, but also Jewsons etc etc

This looks the right size for a BBC clone LS3/5A. Plenty of kits available for that. Front and back could be baltic birch or even 12mm aluminium. Or a composite of ply and aluminium in a constrained layer. Or whatever. 

I think these could sound great. Anyone else interested?

Edited by pmcuk
  • Like 4

Looks like a fun project!

These cinder blocks have been used in a number of ways, I am discovering. So far none I have seen have linked the two chambers, but I would have thought an angle grinder could take off enough of the centre wall to enable this. It would increase the volume from about 4.5 litres to around 9 litres. More interesting. The LS3/5A was about 5 litres so one chamber would work with all those clone kits. 

8 minutes ago, pmcuk said:

These cinder blocks have been used in a number of ways, I am discovering. So far none I have seen have linked the two chambers, but I would have thought an angle grinder could take off enough of the centre wall to enable this. It would increase the volume from about 4.5 litres to around 9 litres. More interesting. The LS3/5A was about 5 litres so one chamber would work with all those clone kits. 

I remember concrete cabinets being quite common in the 50's & 60's  One sticks in my mind a breeze block/concrete horn in each corner of a lounge 3' wide x 2' high opening in the loft  B139's & kelly ribbon tweeter's balanced with a John linsley Hood parametric graphic equaliser  I cant remember which magazine. 

30 minutes ago, John (big) said:

I remember concrete cabinets being quite common in the 50's & 60's  One sticks in my mind a breeze block/concrete horn in each corner of a lounge 3' wide x 2' high opening in the loft  B139's & kelly ribbon tweeters 

My Dad and I built concrete columns in our lounge out of breeze blocks, plastered over nicely to merge into the walls. He was a great experimenter! They had Wharfedale dual concentric speakers and sounded great. I love designing and making things - it clearly runs in the family. 

• Upvote 2

I suppose they are best used for playing Musique Concrète...:minikev:

• Haha 1

That is such a great and creative idea, don't see how the first pairs work though with the port on the tweeter, that's a bit of a brain fart that bit. Brilliant overall idea though. They'll be quite some weight though. Could make a decent pair of slimish floorstanders as well with multi units for not much more and then you wont need stands either.

Never heard a set of concrete speakers though, but I've read and heard great things about using it.

I like the idea of this scenario:

Friend comes over to hear the new concrete speakers. A track is put on and the conversation goes like this:

"How does it sound to you?", asks the Friend

"Not great", comes the reply.

"Why do you think that?"

"I think it's down to poor mixing"

"Of the track?"

"No, of the concrete!".

:sofa:

Edited by CnoEvil
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I remember someone making reinforced concrete fronts for their speakers (John Espley ?), after they had done some experiments and stating that the stiffness of the front panel was as important as the speaker selection itself. I have noticed that at least one speaker builder that i respect is now using a 38mm plywood front panel.

However i don't think these cinder blocks will have the same effect (not a fan of small enclosures)....but you could use a nice thick ply for the front... only one way to find out..

My bass cabs are a 30mm mdf & 21mm balau ‘sandwich’ for all 6 sides

• Upvote 1