Your Favourite Songs For Tune Dem?

What are your favourite songs for tune dem?

The ones I like the best have a good bass line, great rhythm, flow, and vocals that are easy to sing along, in my mind

Here are a few of my favourite examples:

‘Red Hot Chili Peppers song “Snow (Hey Oh)“ from Stadium Arcadium

Red Hot Chili Peppers song “21st Century” from Stadium Arcadium

Red Hot Chili Peppers song “Happiness Loves Company” from I’m With You

• Like 2

Hi Paul,

I like to take the route of eliminating as much of listening to the sound as possible to help me focus on the music. 

Playing old swinging music like this is usually complete chaos on your typical ‘detailed’ audiophile system but very energetic and melodic on a good Linn system. It’s really effective in sorting out the good from the bad without getting lured into nice sounds.

Just remeber these guys used to get paid by the amount of couples that gathered on the dance floor and go from there!

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

I often use one of the first few tracks on Bonnie Raitt's Fundamental album. That's the one Graham from Newcastle HiFi used to pick off my CD shelves back in the days when I had them.

More recently, I taken to also using a more subdued track by Mark Knopfler from Shangri La.

Also, I have used Almost Like The Blues by Leonard Cohen.

Often, it's just whatever music comes to mind, but I usually revert to Bonnie Raitt.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Paulssurround said:

What are your favourite songs for tune dem?

The ones I like the best have a good bass line, great rhythm, flow, and vocals that are easy to sing along, in my mind

Here are a few of my favourite examples:

‘Red Hot Chili Peppers song “Snow (Hey Oh)“ from Stadium Arcadium

Red Hot Chili Peppers song “21st Century” from Stadium Arcadium

Red Hot Chili Peppers song “Happiness Loves Company” from I’m With You

I have a folder on the NAS, with 1 putting it at the top, called 1Paultest. That contains your SPACE v1 recommendations, plus some others. 

• Like 2

I often use "Mira" - Arild Andersen and Tommy Smith. The reason is that I was lucky enough to hear this played live by the band in a fantastic space and one of the mist musically engaging concerts that I've witnessed. His bass is so fluid and resonant and the sax just complements it so well, with a drum time to die for. Like Paul, I use several tracks, often Keith Jarrett  for piano and Patricia Barber for female vocal. And of course one that I nicked from Paul - "Walk on the wild side"  - those girls just  have to walk down towards you!

Mira_(album).jpg.d09212585a4112550f1616379612a413.jpg

• Like 2

I often use Edith and the kingpin from river 

herbie Hancock very dense layers of sax drums bass and of course Tina turner central stage  

• Like 2

I find this piece by John Cage to be most illuminating:

It really allows any system to settle-in, warm-up, and be ready for what thunderously may follow. xD

If you listen carefully, you will catch a subtle shift in the dynamics at the 3’16” mark.

The great thing about this piece is that you hear something different every time you play it through your speakers. 😂😂🥳

Edited by Eldarboy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Actually, as a "comic in all seriousness", the Sanctus from Charles Gunoud's Mass for St. Cecilia is a great piece for checking out the depth of your system. There are some very deep drum bass notes that will make their way across the floor and shake the room in a good system.

• Like 1

For the top end, a great test to your system is Simon and Garfunkel’s “Scarborough Fair”. It is extremely difficult to get a system to give the song a magical, airiness that it requires.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eldarboy said:

For the top end, a great test to your system is Simon and Garfunkel’s “Scarborough Fair”.

I use other S&G tracks but for similar reasons - beautiful melodies but shocking recordings, which take something special to reveal the best from. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Eldarboy said:

For the top end, a great test to your system is Simon and Garfunkel’s “Scarborough Fair”. It is extremely difficult to get a system to give the song a magical, airiness that it requires.

get an original Uk or Japanese pressing and the Audio Fidelity gold cd remaster to really hear (what you described beautifully) on this song.  

• Like 2

Surprised nobody hasn’t already commented that tunedem is preferably made using short clips of rather unfamiliar songs to avoid falling into the trap of focusing on individual sounds instead of how well the total message of the song is communicated. And switching songs after a while is also a good thing to avoid decisions based on details/”hi-fi” parameters. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, 90sLinn said:

Surprised nobody hasn’t already commented that tunedem is preferably made using short clips of rather unfamiliar songs to avoid falling into the trap of focusing on individual sounds instead of how well the total message of the song is communicated. And switching songs after a while is also a good thing to avoid decisions based on details/”hi-fi” parameters. 

Absolutely correct! 
Also use A/A - B and try to avoid falling into the trap that second is better because it’s different and never ever switch between A - B midsong.

Edited by Clavius
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

"Vermelho" from the classic Vanessa da Mata album "Sim". Reveals poor systems in seconds...

Miranda Lambert's "Highway Vagabond" will sound sluggish and muddy on a poor/poorly set-up system, very revealing

I also like to play Leonard Cohen's "You Want It Darker"

• Upvote 1